collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Oregon 2022 Big Game Regulations Are Posted  (Read 5560 times)

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: Oregon 2022 Big Game Regulations Are Posted
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2021, 08:37:30 AM »
Not sure why you would make a unit a draw unit and then offer 1700 tags. Oh well

Yes agreed. After looking into it more following my post, it is a combo of 5-6 units of which we have hunted a few. Curious to see how it plays out

Pretty sure that tag number you're referring to is five or six units combined. Eagle Cap Zone?  1795 permits. That number seems hardly "controlled"   

I fail to see where this move is going to reduce hunting pressure. We hunt one of those units and have seen a very noticeable increase in bow hunters the last 3-4 seasons.

Guess time will tell.

elksnout
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline BUTTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2021, 04:53:57 PM »
will drastically decrease the non residents. Only 5 percent quota for the non residents will decrease the hunting pressure alot. I have sent in a letter to the commisioners every month hoping for future changes

Commisioners, thank you in advance to the members that read this email. I understand next years changes were felt needed, and have been passed at this time. Im writing this email in hopes that in the future other ideas can be brought forward. I am writing this email as a non resident, and would like to express some concerns. The current five percent cap for non resident hunters is an issue for the future. Not only does it limit non residents, but it greatly hurts your very own Oregon outiftters. These outiftters have survived years on the current system, and over night have lost alot of there loyal customers. I suggest two options to better the current system increase non resident tags to a minimum of 10 percent for archery hunting. I also suggest allowing non residents the oppurtunity to purchase left over tags at a first come first serve basis. This will help Oregon over all by increasing the revenue from the 95 percent of non residents that will now not be able to hunt in your great state.
Thanks for your time,

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2021, 06:38:14 PM »
As part of the 2 years of discussion and research on the elk archery unit change, Oregon actually documented the amount of non-resident hunters that would be reduced on average per unit by making these units a controlled tag and with the 5% non-resident cap.   But they allotted roughly the same number of tags per unit as the number of hunters that reported hunted each unit in years past.  So hunting pressure will remain roughly the same. 
https://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/big_game/docs/Non-Resident_Effect.pdf

https://myodfw.com/articles/big-game-hunting-season-review
Except it really won't impact overcrowding that much because they made the tag #s the same as what already hunted those units, and won't help the elk herds.  This change was in response to years of complaining by rifle hunters that archers had more opportunity than them. 

Offline hughjorgan

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2021, 07:41:12 PM »
As part of the 2 years of discussion and research on the elk archery unit change, Oregon actually documented the amount of non-resident hunters that would be reduced on average per unit by making these units a controlled tag and with the 5% non-resident cap.   But they allotted roughly the same number of tags per unit as the number of hunters that reported hunted each unit in years past.  So hunting pressure will remain roughly the same. 
https://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/big_game/docs/Non-Resident_Effect.pdf

https://myodfw.com/articles/big-game-hunting-season-review
Except it really won't impact overcrowding that much because they made the tag #s the same as what already hunted those units, and won't help the elk herds.  This change was in response to years of complaining by rifle hunters that archers had more opportunity than them.

So they’ll lose a little over a half million dollars in tag sales. That seems to be pretty significant amount of money.

Offline BUTTER

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2021, 05:57:52 PM »
It will be good for the residents but the non residents will suffer. Or arguably not hunt Oregon again

Offline Halo

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2022, 05:11:04 PM »
If I remember correctly, half of that 5% cap is guaranteed to the outfitters, at least in the good units. So, the cap is actually 2.5% for deer and elk and 1.5% for antelope.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]