collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Totaled car insurance replacement value advice  (Read 2285 times)

Offline cavemann

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Totaled car insurance replacement value advice
« on: December 02, 2021, 09:28:04 AM »
Ugh...  Daughter got rear ended, 3 for 3 on the kids now..  Her Corolla will be totaled and I will probably get the valuation from insurance today or tomorrow.  I've heard horror stories on low ball offers.  Anyone have best idea to research and value her car that has teeth??  I've done the kelley/edmonds book thing..  I've also looked at autotrader, vroom and others.  I tried calling a couple dealerships but they were pretty tight lipped.

Anyone go through this??  Again, I'm getting in front of it anticipating a mess. 

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
Re: Totaled car insurance replacement value advice
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 09:36:49 AM »
what year?
Have any photos of the condition?  Honestly with the way used car market is now, providing other craigslist type adds will/could help you.
KBB is low compared to current market, so hopefully it works out.  I once had a car that was totaled, it was "worth" far more than KBB due to the nature of being rare, and in exceptional condition.  I had photos and provided adds within a 500 mile radius to the insurance adjuster and got a fair value, well above KBB

Offline cavemann

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 09:44:36 AM »
thanks!!  It's a 2012 Corolla S..  It's in great condition, no accidents, clean, no smoke.  Just bought it last year and with the freaking car market it should be worth about 12500-13500..  Book will have it at 10000.  I'm worried because i bought it for 8500.  I've put together a ton of adds and will doing so if that is best way.

Just didn't know if there were any secrets of the trade from insurance guys or car guys on this..  Or anyone who just went through it.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 10:05:52 AM »
Yeah, start pulling and printing adds that are as close as possible to her vehicle.  Be prepared for a lower offer and all the arguments why.  Good luck, the reality is the person you will be talking to makes a living keeping the payments as low as possible.

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 10:56:55 AM »
Yeah, start pulling and printing adds that are as close as possible to her vehicle.  Be prepared for a lower offer and all the arguments why.  Good luck, the reality is the person you will be talking to makes a living keeping the payments as low as possible.

:yeah:

You'll need to familiarize yourself with the market... not the book. If the number is significantly askew, then go back at them with the known listings on the market at this moment. Thet's where you'll be trying to replace it, not out of a book.

I've had a couple totals (bought them both back and rebuilt them) and I was happy with the numbers, but that wasn't in this carzy used car maket like we have now.
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2021, 11:07:02 AM »
I hope your kid is ok.

Comments above are correct. They need to pay you for the amount it would cost to buy the same vehicle again--with all the add ons and whatnot. Not the book value, but the actual cost of putting the car in your driveway.

If they lowball you, ask them to show you where to buy a similar vehicle for the same price. And by that I mean tell them to hand you an actual listing.

I do this sort of thing for a living, so feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions. Usually resolving property damage claims is easy so I'd be happy to talk you through it free of charge.

Offline Badhabit

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2021, 12:06:56 PM »
Most Ins carriers use a valuation service like ADP Autosource or CCC. Just ask the adjuster to send you a  copy of their ACV valuation. The valuation should show you the comparables they used to determine the ACV of your Corolla. Did you add new tires? How many miles ago? Did you keep the receipt? Any refurbishment or rebuilt within a year could add value. You need the receipts for support. If you are going through the ins. on the car the rear ended your daughter you are going to get ACV. If you go through your own ins. you're still only going to get ACV on a 2012 less your deductible.

Offline cavemann

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 07:41:09 PM »
I hope your kid is ok.

Comments above are correct. They need to pay you for the amount it would cost to buy the same vehicle again--with all the add ons and whatnot. Not the book value, but the actual cost of putting the car in your driveway.

If they lowball you, ask them to show you where to buy a similar vehicle for the same price. And by that I mean tell them to hand you an actual listing.

I do this sort of thing for a living, so feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions. Usually resolving property damage claims is easy so I'd be happy to talk you through it free of charge.

Thanks, I just might take you up on that via PM...

@badhabit thanks for the detail as well..

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2021, 07:53:50 PM »
When my truck was totalled several years ago, they lowballed me hard. Their comp’s weren’t even the same truck. I had a 3/4 ton Chevy diesel truck and they were throwing half ton gas trucks at me. I went and found Craigslist and dealer vehicles for sale that were the same as mine.  A bunch of them. 10-12 of them. I didn’t back down. I got my money.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 08:01:25 PM »
When my truck was totalled several years ago, they lowballed me hard. Their comp’s weren’t even the same truck. I had a 3/4 ton Chevy diesel truck and they were throwing half ton gas trucks at me. I went and found Craigslist and dealer vehicles for sale that were the same as mine.  A bunch of them. 10-12 of them. I didn’t back down. I got my money.

:yeah:
This is what you want to do. Fair market value for replacement in your area.

Offline Badhabit

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 08:28:33 PM »
That is why you ask for their valution documentation, so you can verify apples to apples for a apples to apples ACV.

Offline cavemann

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 10:04:56 PM »
Thanks for the shared experiences..  it's all a huge help.  Badhabit, what is ACV

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2021, 10:13:44 PM »
Thanks for the shared experiences..  it's all a huge help.  Badhabit, what is ACV

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Actual cash value
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand