collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Oregon Wolf Pack Poisoned  (Read 20296 times)

Offline HUNTIN4SIX

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • My wife loves me.
Re: Oregon Wolf Pack Poisoned
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2021, 07:31:32 PM »
Sad to see explicit cheering of illegal actions that condemned some animals (who had no choice in their selection of species-level biology or geographic location) to a prolonged and agonizing death.  The anti's just love to see statements like that, I'm sure.

I hope I'm not alone on this site in this regard, and I don't believe I am, but I stand against actions like this.  Not the way to work towards resolution of conflict over management of wildlife (which is difficult, I am aware), or convince the broader public that hunters can be trusted in the stewardship of wildlife.

So you think "hunters" were responsible for this?

I should have been more clear- it was more the statements above endorsing the poisoning that would erode public confidence.  You're right, we don't know who is responsible or their specific motives.
I think you were very clear with a statement “explicit cheering of illegal action”. 
:dunno:  I didn’t quite see it that way. 
It would be like saying some people’s comments expose the tightness of their skinny pants.  Kinda confusing, but I think it’s all in fun and you kinda assumed.
Did I forget to mention wolves should not be here and it’s eroded public confidence

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2021, 07:38:14 PM »
With some states trying to eliminate hunting (or at least gross mismanagement) I wouldn't be surprised to hear about more actions taken against predators.

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2021, 07:47:22 PM »
I hear you all.

My reaction to this had more to do with illegal poisoning, and the hunting community's response to it, than with frustration over wildlife management. 

And I do hear you guys, including the spring bear decision KF mentioned.  If the commission went against the best available science, and I haven't read up much on the spring bear issue yet, then I agree 100% that's a problem.  I understand the frustration and anger over legitimate concerns.   My response to anger and frustration, though, could never include the use of poisons on wildlife, or condoning it, or cheering it. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2021, 07:49:57 PM »
Depends on the poison.

An m44 cyanide dispenser is pretty dang quick.

Antifreeze not so much, I wouldn't wish that on any creature.

There are humane options for poison.

Do not interpret this post as an endorsement or advocating for such. 

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2021, 07:54:21 PM »
What ever it takes!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline HUNTIN4SIX

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • My wife loves me.
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2021, 08:06:43 PM »
I remember the good ole days of no wolves.....it was so peaceful and folks all had the same ideology about them.
I also remember my family members about lost their outfitting business in Montana before they allowed hunting the worthless canines.  Not much sympathy here.

Offline Meathunter06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
  • Groups: Hunting Washington Forum
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2021, 09:03:19 PM »

Offline Seabass

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2021, 09:17:31 PM »
A few weeks ago I'd have been right there with elkboy, but our commission pulled the rug out from under us all, disregarded science, disregarded WDFW's hard work, disregarded the truth, and even disregarded the law....and banned spring bear at the behest of their .org loyalties, orgs whose members have been spiking trees and breaking laws for decades. 

My G.A.S ran out, my tank is dry. 

Wildlife management is no longer affected by hunters doing the right thing.

ROGER THAT!

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WAC,
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2021, 08:02:39 AM »
If the state didn't relocate these POS predators things like this wouldn't happen.
For every action there is a reaction.
Some like the reaction/some don't.

I think it balances things out.
WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2021, 08:26:31 AM »
Wow, I can't believe some of you guys. You think this is ok? That this is happening in the woods we work, hunt and play in! Some of you are ridiculous... The rest of us are wondering why they didn't post a recipe.

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2021, 08:43:19 AM »
Ldennis  recipe = Aldicarb.   That's the rumor, I have no personal experience with the stuff.

The trouble with peoples responses is that the tradition of treating law as inviolate has been predicated on the legitimacy of both the process and intent of the law.  Do the people in WA and OR feel that game management is transparent and legitimate?  There's actual intent in the west to diminish hunting and to do so through predator recruitment (among other things).  It's part of a larger position that fewer hunters creates fewer gun rights proponents.  Wolves aren't inherently good or bad.  The people who have forced them on you and who have ruined hunting in some areas, they are not doing game management. They are doing people management.  One can argue that bad law should be changed with good law, understood. But when a house is on fire, you'll always see folks make a bucket brigade rather than just hope FPD will be around soon.  I'm not going to risk my livelihood and well-being with wolf civil disobedience, but I can't possibly fail to understand why others will.

Offline timberfaller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2021, 09:02:42 AM »
The wolf problem is a simple one!  "hello, I am from the government, I'm here to help"!!

IF you were ever around and involved in the PNW "Water War" you'd understand.  There were two things that came to bare against the farmers/ranchers.  One, government didn't believe in underground recharge and Two, predation was not a problem(salmon listing battle).

NOW, when simple common sense doesn't come to play in a biologist mind or government agency YOU are going to get SCREWED by them!!

There was a "reason" the ole timers dealt with the "wolf" in the ways and why they did.  AKA: common sense!

Just another example of our "educational system" failing to teach!  They've done a bag up job at indoctrination though!!
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2021, 09:48:51 AM »
Oh I didn't need a recipe, I used to carry a pesticide license so I know plenty of things that would work. Milo strychnine for killing gophers would do just fine.

Offline gramps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2021, 09:59:35 AM »
Aldicarb...(Temic)  was a highly restricted use agricultural insecticide and has been off the market for years.  the purchase and use required all the necessary pesticide licenses( I at one time had all of them).   Always possible someone had some in the back of a shed somewhere.

Not a smart move at all
It never changes, but it is always different.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2021, 10:12:03 AM »
Oh I didn't need a recipe, I used to carry a pesticide license so I know plenty of things that would work. Milo strychnine for killing gophers would do just fine.

Can you even get that anymore?   I got a couple fields ate up with gophers and sesrched around for pellets and a gopher planter.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal