collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Heated Socks  (Read 4097 times)

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Heated Socks
« on: December 03, 2021, 08:38:43 PM »
 Anybody ever try heated socks?

Had a issue this season after hiking a bit and then stopping for several hours to wait for fog to lift after spotting a buck that we didn’t get optics on quick enough before it rolled in. Sweaty feet and then standing that long got myfeet cold enough to be uncomfortable.

It would be nice to be able to heat my feet when they begin getting really cold and I know it’s still going to be a while before moving, then be able to turn the heat off when moving again.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Heated Socks
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 08:45:17 PM »
The problem is where they put the batteries.  The ones I have tried didn’t work very well.
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 08:46:31 PM »
The problem is where they put the batteries.  The ones I have tried didn’t work very well.

Which is one reason I’m asking.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 08:54:00 PM »
For what it's worth.  I've learned to keep moving even if it's in place waiting......
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline Old Dog

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Old Dog
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 08:59:19 PM »
A little pricey, but the Termacell insoles work really well.  You can turn them on and off or adjust the temp with a remote control.  The batteries are rechargeable too.
Hunt hard and shoot straight!

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 09:20:21 PM »
You gotta quit wearing those Van's man.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 09:22:08 PM »
You gotta quit wearing those Van's man.

:chuckle: I knew the peanut gallery would chime in eventually! :chuckle:

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 09:26:19 PM »
The problem with any heated clothing is going to be the breathability...if you have the socks on and hike you will be more likely to have sweaty feet...same with the vests...the pads that heat don't breath

Now if you pack them they could be great, very popular on the east coast

For the west it's more of a novelty in my opinion but sometimes that's just what's needed to keep behind the glass

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 09:50:28 PM »
The problem with any heated clothing is going to be the breathability...if you have the socks on and hike you will be more likely to have sweaty feet...same with the vests...the pads that heat don't breath

For the west it's more of a novelty in my opinion but sometimes that's just what's needed to keep behind the glass

Even if you don’t turn them on until needed?

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 10:12:01 PM »
What I got in the habit of doing, is packing a second set of wool socks and a dry-fit tee shirt in my pack. After hiking in, I would change out my socks and tee shirt.
Made a world of difference.
My feet are the only thing that gets cold. I guess payback for 40+ years of beating them doing Tae Kwon Do.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2021, 11:13:21 PM »

Even if you don’t turn them on until needed?

Yeah for me

There's alot of variables to this in regards to indicidual people, distance hiking, temperatures...the heat pad has zero breathability...so think a pvc type laminate

When it's cold I typically always pack some type of thin Eva foam pad that my feat are on, in your scenario it's kinda hard to change socks or put on booties or some other options cuz you wana be ready to roll when the fog leaves

I'd just give the socks a try and worst case you could Send em back. .i would wear a thin summer style sock as a liner

There is batteries straped to your boot also...might be somthing to think about

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2021, 12:03:15 AM »
 I don’t need high heat, just enough that would keep the existing heat in for a couple hours if need be. I’d think a small voltage and battery pack would supply plenty for a couple hours. I’m lot looking for ice melting 18volt backpack type batteries. :chuckle:

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2021, 12:52:28 AM »
It would need to be super cold to put them on high...in an active situation...inside of a insulated boot lol your looking at 10 pluss hours on low heat

They might be just the ticket for ya

But I'm thinking for western style hunts ..youl find them to be more of a hassle then they are worth

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2021, 04:24:18 AM »
First, we have a lot of parents within our alpine ski race team that use heated socks.  Some parents do more standing around than they otherwise could if they were to ski harder and get the blood flowing.  And others just have circulation issues with age.  The socks work good for attaching to socks above the ski boots and putting the battery pack under the pant leg.  They are using 3 different brand of heated socks.   Cheap ones, and 2 brands that are expensive.  i can verify the brands in the  next couple of week when the mtn opens.

I have very sweaty feet, and thus get cold when i sit down or stop to glass.   I carry an extra pair of socks and will rotate them when i sit down to glass and start to get cold.   I have thought for the last two years, what if i carried a third set of socks that were battery heat for a few spots where there are very long days of glassing in cold and windy weather.   a guy could then swap back to traditional merino socks once they need to hike out or start covering ground again, should the battery pack prove to be an inconvenience.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2021, 11:31:26 PM »
First, we have a lot of parents within our alpine ski race team that use heated socks.  Some parents do more standing around than they otherwise could if they were to ski harder and get the blood flowing.  And others just have circulation issues with age.  The socks work good for attaching to socks above the ski boots and putting the battery pack under the pant leg.  They are using 3 different brand of heated socks.   Cheap ones, and 2 brands that are expensive.  i can verify the brands in the  next couple of week when the mtn opens.

I have very sweaty feet, and thus get cold when i sit down or stop to glass.   I carry an extra pair of socks and will rotate them when i sit down to glass and start to get cold.   I have thought for the last two years, what if i carried a third set of socks that were battery heat for a few spots where there are very long days of glassing in cold and windy weather.   a guy could then swap back to traditional merino socks once they need to hike out or start covering ground again, should the battery pack prove to be an inconvenience.

Exactly

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]