collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Burbot fishing?  (Read 5808 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Burbot fishing?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2022, 08:32:57 AM »
There is some really good Youtube videos on the subject that I have been watching the past couple of days.  Looks like really bouncing a heavy jig, tipped with cut bait, off the bottom is the trick.  Everything I have read and watched says it really gets good from mid Feb through the middle of March, but you can catch them all year.  As soon as my Ice Auger comes in I'll be heading to Bonner Lake up near Bonners Ferry, ID to give them a go.  Also sounds like in the rivers it is best to fish for them at night.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2022, 08:37:42 AM »
Yep, just search "burbot washington" on youtube and several videos come up. I know because I've watched them all  :chuckle:

I had lakers and burbot on my "first ever" list last year and failed. Hoping to put a better effort at it this year before it warms up too much.

Offline Parasite

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2022, 09:04:03 AM »
Yep, just search "burbot washington" on youtube and several videos come up. I know because I've watched them all  :chuckle:

I had lakers and burbot on my "first ever" list last year and failed. Hoping to put a better effort at it this year before it warms up too much.

I think I might go after burbot on March 5th. Just need to pick a lake and find someone to tag along with me. I think I've got everything else.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2022, 09:10:12 AM »
Years ago, when setlines were legal, we fished Palmer.  Put out setlines and also use heavy jigs that made noise.  Good times.  Palmer held the state record at one time.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Lady Grouse hunter

• Love life as it is and don't waste another minute of it...
  • Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
  • NRA member
    • n/a
  • Groups: n/a
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2022, 09:27:16 AM »
Stupid :yike:
One thing in LIFE is,,, We cannot out run time!

Offline Fletch

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2022, 10:52:05 AM »
We put out set lines religiously in Chelan in the late 70's and 80's.  Was always best in the march-may time line.  We never jigged back then but I understand its fairly common in Chelan now.  I also have an acquaintance that has caught them in Potholes reservoir jigging.  I wouldnt mind giving it a go again.                 
They are some tasty eating.

Offline Parasite

• Scout
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2022, 10:54:30 AM »
Stupid :yike:

We need a "special fourm" for you and cryder

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2022, 11:02:24 AM »
Anybody ever heard them called "lawyers"?  That's what my grandpa called them when we caught them on Lake Winnebago in WI while walleye/sauger fishing through the ice.  He'd chop them up with the ice axe, we never ate one.  I'm pretty sure they were burbot.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Parasite

• Scout
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2022, 11:54:26 AM »
Anybody ever heard them called "lawyers"?  That's what my grandpa called them when we caught them on Lake Winnebago in WI while walleye/sauger fishing through the ice.  He'd chop them up with the ice axe, we never ate one.  I'm pretty sure they were burbot.

Yep ... lawyers ... eelpout ... lota lota ... burbot  ... all the same fish.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2022, 01:26:22 PM »
Years ago, when setlines were legal, we fished Palmer.  Put out setlines and also use heavy jigs that made noise.  Good times.  Palmer held the state record at one time.

I ran many set lines on Palmer back in the day and much of the time drove my truck out to set em. Now days if you can even get ice up there (been several years since good ice), catching a single burbot should produce an award. Night jigging the best burbots spots up there with basically no success is all I see and hear about these days.

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2022, 01:58:29 PM »
I put nav lights on my boat a few months back specifically so I can night jig for burbot come spring. Any tips on that? I assume glow heads / plastics and cut bait?

Offline deerhuntr4885

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2022, 03:52:39 PM »

I think I might go after burbot on March 5th. Just need to pick a lake and find someone to tag along with me. I think I've got everything else.

I’m your Huckleberry!   I would like to try this fish as well. Just started fishing again and do not have boat (yet). If you need a fishing partner let me know.  I just retired and have a lot of time on my hands.
Mike Henne

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2022, 08:33:56 PM »
Retired, and no boat? Good golly, what has this world come too. Now ya got a mission to occupy time!

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2022, 08:49:11 PM »
When does the burbot fishing get going good this time of year? I want to take my boat out for them and this will be my first time targeting them. Haven't decided what lake yet, but will probably be the closest one I can find. Any bait to use in particular? I plan on jigging.
Yep, some of the rivers and lakes in N ID and NW MT have freshwater ling (fun to catch, delectable to eat) but if you really want to get down on some pig ling, check out kootenai lake just above the border.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2022, 01:59:04 PM »
Had to go the Kettle Falls this morning saw 2 boats fishing singer's flat. Could be either Wally's or Lings or both.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal