collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spring Bear Petition  (Read 18506 times)

Offline LongBomb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Spring Bear Petition
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2021, 10:29:45 AM »
 :tup: submitted

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2021, 11:17:18 AM »
Done.   :tup:

I am writing to let you know I am strongly in favor of a spring bear season as vital management tool for our state wildlife. I would suggest that you look at expanding the spring bear season to other units. Since the ban on baiting bears went into effect it has become increasingly difficult to field judge bears and make sure you are taking out mature males. You need to have time to do that and what is happening now is bears are being taken by opportunity only, not by targeting mature males or females without cubs. A broader spring bear season would give hunters more time to view more bears and make sound decisions on whether to take a bear or not. The bear population must be kept in check to allow our ungulate population to be at its target levels as well.

I hope that you will look at reinstating the spring bear season and will also look to expand the GMU's that are open for spring bear hunting in the name of sound wildlife management.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2021, 11:27:42 AM »
My mom is so cool! She just submitted her comments, emailed our legislators as well as the governors office to urge all parties to manage based on science and follow the wdfw bio's recommendation to have a 2022 spring season. AS A NON HUNTER!
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2021, 11:28:58 AM »
What really chaps my behind is that a commissioner used her agenda driven OPINION to override the scientific evidence provided by WDFW bios.

That should not have been allowed.

Offline Viking360

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2021, 11:42:44 AM »
Done, sent.

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2021, 11:52:57 AM »
I didn't see anyone mention this.  My understanding is on 21 January, the commission has to either accept the formal petition that is challenging the rule making decision on spring bear (likely reinstating the season for 2022), or deny the petition (not having a 2022 season). With Koontz gone there are 7 commissioners, 3 of which voted against spring bear and 4 that voted to have the hunt. If this petition is voted on, then I would surely hope that the original 4 that voted in favor of having the spring bear hunt would all vote in favor again.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2021, 11:59:03 AM »
This is no time to assume or hope for anything.

We need to send a loud clear message that will let the entire commission know this is a hot topic and they should all vote in favor of it.  I assure you the opposite side is going to be expressing there desire to keep the season cancelled and will be in full force knowing they are down a vote.  They are going to try very hard to swing more votes in their favor.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2021, 12:00:15 PM »
I didn't see anyone mention this.  My understanding is on 21 January, the commission has to either accept the formal petition that is challenging the rule making decision on spring bear (likely reinstating the season for 2022), or deny the petition (not having a 2022 season). With Koontz gone there are 7 commissioners, 3 of which voted against spring bear and 4 that voted to have the hunt. If this petition is voted on, then I would surely hope that the original 4 that voted in favor of having the spring bear hunt would all vote in favor again.

From what I gathered from what Director Susewind said in the video clip above is that the original proposal for the 2022 season is done and over with. The petition is to propose a new rule for a 2022 season.

I am guessing now, but I think that if the commission accepts the petition that the WDFW would then come back with a proposal for a 2022 season (likely the same proposal they originally presented). But not knowing what the petition says this is pure speculation.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2021, 12:02:54 PM »
What are the rules when a topic is brought back? Does it need a new cr101? Cr102? Also what are the timelines for a response vs an action?

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2021, 12:06:29 PM »
My mom is so cool! She just submitted her comments, emailed our legislators as well as the governors office to urge all parties to manage based on science and follow the wdfw bio's recommendation to have a 2022 spring season. AS A NON HUNTER!
God bless her!!!  That's very cool.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2021, 12:48:28 PM »
Imagine that a turkey organization is going to get involved with bear hunting.  I contacted the NWTF and we are sending a letter to the commission.  I am also asking that it also gets sent to the governor.  Even if people don't hunt bear we should all be involved.  This is just a prelude to what could be coming. 
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2021, 12:59:07 PM »
Imagine that a turkey organization is going to get involved with bear hunting.  I contacted the NWTF and we are sending a letter to the commission.  I am also asking that it also gets sent to the governor.  Even if people don't hunt bear we should all be involved.  This is just a prelude to what could be coming.
good to hear! Their attacks are incremental and what's starts with bears will end with small game and birds. All these organizations should be speaking up.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Goose74

• Pilgrim
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2021, 01:06:21 PM »
Done!

Offline mcrawfordaf

• Longhunter
  • PF, RGS, INWWC, SBDA, NWTF
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2021, 01:10:07 PM »
Busy day for Nikki today  :chuckle:

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2021, 01:13:47 PM »
Thanks Russ. I think it's worth noting that the deviation started with forest grouse. Blatant disregard and arbitrary decision. There was some great conversation on here about that decision but little to no action at the commission. The GMAC provided input to the commission but it seemed to fall on deaf ears.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:56:45 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]