collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: This forum could use an upgrade ....  (Read 16586 times)

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: This forum could use an upgrade ....
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2021, 09:36:24 AM »
I like the "recent topics" on the right. I can click on the topic I want and it takes me to the last post. Thats a really nice feature rather then having to scroll a bunch.

Also, though it makes for a lot of sections, I like the break down of all the species hunted, trapping, fishing, vehicles, virtual campfire, non hunting and of course its nice having the politics in its own section so folks who do not come here for that can avoid it.

I like the no swearing rule too, keeping the board on the lower end of PG rated.

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2021, 10:13:12 AM »
I like the "recent topics" on the right. I can click on the topic I want and it takes me to the last post. Thats a really nice feature rather then having to scroll a bunch.

Also, though it makes for a lot of sections, I like the break down of all the species hunted, trapping, fishing, vehicles, virtual campfire, non hunting and of course its nice having the politics in its own section so folks who do not come here for that can avoid it.

I like the no swearing rule too, keeping the board on the lower end of PG rated.

:yeah: The right side recent topics  feature is great!

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2021, 10:16:08 AM »
I wouldn't mind a cell phone friendly addon, instead of using tapatalk.
Actually Tapatalk did a software update and now a lot more functions.  Like starting a new thread or seeing a profile work now previously though I am with you it sucked.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Iveexcaped3

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
    • Riverside Construction, LLC
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2021, 10:40:38 AM »
I love the forum. Only thing I dislike is not being able to upload photos from my phone to the web browser. Not a fan of adding a ton of apps to my phone so I don’t use tap talk.

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2021, 11:23:11 AM »
I feel like the forum got upgraded and better about a year ago when it flushed alot of turds down the drain.
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline brokentrail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2021, 11:48:10 AM »
Seriously, has this forum been the same since 2000? It'd be nice to have been search functionality, etc.

@Parasite Could you provide more information as to what isn't specifically working for you and your expectations?  I work in tech and have for over 30 years, something like you posted doesn't actually give any details as to what the exact problem is nor what one could do to fix it.  That isn't a knock, please don't take it as such, I would just like to better understand the actual problem.

I would also state that the site hasn't been the same since 2000, although I don't admin here and this is an educated guess based on how technology actually works,  there have been updates as the W3 CSS of the index page was released in December of 2020, operating system updates, database updates that most everyone is unaware of, unless they go horribly wrong and take the site down.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2021, 01:00:13 PM »
I love the forum. Only thing I dislike is not being able to upload photos from my phone to the web browser. Not a fan of adding a ton of apps to my phone so I don’t use tap talk.

That’s probably more an issue with your camera settings on your phone than the forum. 999/1000 if you can’t upload a photo, it’s because of the size of the photo.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2021, 01:05:52 PM »

That’s probably more an issue with your camera settings on your phone than the forum. 999/1000 if you can’t upload a photo, it’s because of the size of the photo.

:yeah: Most phone photos are too large of pixel size. There are easy ways to overcome that problem, are you using an iphone or android?
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2021, 02:08:02 PM »
Seriously, has this forum been the same since 2000? It'd be nice to have been search functionality, etc.

@Parasite Could you provide more information as to what isn't specifically working for you and your expectations?  I work in tech and have for over 30 years, something like you posted doesn't actually give any details as to what the exact problem is nor what one could do to fix it.  That isn't a knock, please don't take it as such, I would just like to better understand the actual problem.

I would also state that the site hasn't been the same since 2000, although I don't admin here and this is an educated guess based on how technology actually works,  there have been updates as the W3 CSS of the index page was released in December of 2020, operating system updates, database updates that most everyone is unaware of, unless they go horribly wrong and take the site down.

@Parasite hoping you can give a little more detail. I too struggled with the search function until I found out it works better if I’m just searching a particular board. Looking forward to hearing more detail from you and your experience. I know Dale is always open to making this forum better.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2021, 05:33:15 PM »
I feel like the forum got upgraded and better about a year ago when it flushed alot of turds down the drain.
:yeah:
Still a few to go but the ignore feature has become a valuable tool I failed to utilize in the past. 99% of problems solved. I love this site !!!

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2021, 09:37:11 PM »
When I saw the title of this post, I thought the OP was talking about replacing the users.  Oh.

I agree with others.  While other hunting, gun, fishing, climbing, forums have all withered away, this one continues.  There is more than critical mass, which is the key point.

Is this the bestest software ever?  Probably not.  Is it good enough?  Yes.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2021, 12:36:11 AM »
This site works just fine for me. I have always used my phone as I am not around a computer very often and I find the browser version to be better than Tapatalk. I don't even have Tapatalk anymore. I would also agree with the Admins on the issues that are being brought up. Most are due to operator error. Which is not a dig at anyone's capabilities when it comes to technology. It's just a fact. I have an excellent camera phone and can't post any pictures without downsizing pixels or overall file size, etc. Maybe some stickies can be made more noticable to folks with better reference to how to use forum features?

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2021, 05:09:42 AM »
I've always used my phone.
Just browser , sometimes I can get away with posting large pics. But I never do ,I always resize and rename anyway .
Just for people looking for location information in my pictures.
I have searched Google before on hunting stuff and seen old topics on the forum pop up.
I have used the search here on the forum before too.
Overall the setup as it is seems to work.👍
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2021, 07:29:50 AM »
Other folks have mentioned this before, I like to see a way to give likes and such without getting the thread popping up in “ Show new replies to your posts”.

Lots of good pics, and other stuff on here I like, just don’t want to have the post to keep popping up in my recents.

Hopefully that doesn’t sound to crass.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2021, 07:49:27 AM »
This site works fine. I also mostly use my ‘older’ phone as I am not around a laptop or box I can use for personal stuff.
 I sometimes will email myself a pic if I need to make it smaller and usually select ‘medium’ for size.
Biggest issue for me is ‘fat fingering’ buttons.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand