collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: To the Hardcore 2 Kayakers Duck Hunting Todays Snow Storm  (Read 6177 times)

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
To the Hardcore 2 Kayakers Duck Hunting Todays Snow Storm
« on: December 30, 2021, 06:50:15 PM »
Well just want to say thanks for setting up one the point right in front of my little bay. Shooting 15 minutes before light. Then 5 minutes before light. As I watch all the birds in range just fly away because you quack heads. Also what the heck is the deal with using a battery powered decoy. When you resetup again across from me it was clear as day. Not even a breeze but your spinning wing decoy was going full bore. Even with that the two of you can't refrain from sky busting. I would say congrats on the few birds you did get but you guys are a joke. What was that 100 to 150 shots between 2 of you. Feel free to take lessons. I am running a .410 with 5/8s oz of #6 and knocking birds stone dead. Yeah after leaving your area and hitting another pocket I slayed it. Give up the constant duck and goose calls. You notice the birds after an hour straight on the duck call and going to goose call for a while to change back to 30 minutes straight on the duck call without stopping got all the birds rafted up on main water. Please take notes about what I am bringing up. Ya you may have got a few birds but come on. Next time I will stop the hunt to come have a chat. Because 3 hours of birds flaring from your calls and sky busting is a joke. Illegal decoys and shooting well before shooting time. Anyways I made some changes later in my hunt and made an awesome day. Limited on ducks, one snow goose, and 2 bonus snipe. Fun time when putting the yahoos aside. Hope you are here reading this. Next time I see this I will post a vehicle and call the warden. Tired of that crap. Yes I know what days you prefer so I am sure I will see you soon.

If your wondering if I am talking about you here is a couple more details about you. You wrapped up in what looked like a white sheet to blend in with snow. 2 hunters. 2 kayaks. Mallard decoys. And you never quit calling. But notice when you do shut up once in a while you actually get birds to come closer to you.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: To the Hardcore 2 Kayakers Duck Hunting Todays Snow Storm
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 06:56:47 PM »
Wow, you must be sponsored cuz you sound like a pro! You clearly know everything about duck hunting! Maybe it was some kids who don't have a mentor?

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 07:17:23 PM »

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 07:23:37 PM »
It happens to the best of us.  Happened this weekend to me.  I walked over and talked to the guys to see if they wanted to hunt with me.  I was finished birds and they couldn’t with the setup they had going.  Some people are receptive to help and some aren’t.  Seems like more and more inexperienced hunters out that learn everything from the internet or buddies they run with.  Some have done it their entire lives and others just a few year, so tradition, experience and time afield maybe fairly green.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Alan K

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 07:28:35 PM »
If you think that chits bad trying elk hunting on public land 😆
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 07:37:43 PM »
:yeah:
This was my first thought.

Offline MADMAX

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 07:39:51 PM »
Seriously 🤪
Too many hoochie mamas and magnums

Really want be chafed?
Go to a west side pheasant release site
No joy
I Ain't Captain Walker.

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 07:57:53 PM »
You do know they make a wing decoy that runs on a string system and is totally legal right?

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 07:58:06 PM »
Wow, you must be sponsored cuz you sound like a pro! You clearly know everything about duck hunting! Maybe it was some kids who don't have a mentor?

I just obey laws. Far from a "Pro". Clearly adults who knew what they were doing. Binos showed them well from a short distance away. Guess this crowd is in acceptance of breaking the law. Shooting hours are there for a reason. Unlawful use of battery power decoys is ok for the intitled. But as stated I guess because I obey laws I am the bad one. I do have a lot of experience in the field. So I guess as far as shooting distance goes I understand lethal distance of a shotgun. A phone which most have or a watch is an easy way to not be ignorant to shooting hours.
As far as the elk woods comments go. Lol yeah have spent many years in the elk woods. And as I did today I adapt to continue to see success for birds to elk. On any hunt no matter how experienced one is mistakes are made. But learning from those mistakes and every outing makes us a better hunter.
I wouldn't have been on here about the calling or shooting deal. But just upset me seeing yet another entitled ignorant group feel that laws are not for them. Everything is clearly stated in the rule book. Best way to learn is starting with the hunting regs.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 08:07:23 PM by duckmen1 »
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 08:00:16 PM »
You do know they make a wing decoy that runs on a string system and is totally legal right?

Of course. This was battery. Not a jerk string wing decoy. They would walk away from there stand to go chase cripples and try to stalk ducks and decoy continued in full motion. Never stopped. I get it. Always defend everyone as no one can do wrong. But I don't run my mouth for no reason.

I have ran many forms of jerk cords over the years. Some basic to very advanced fun to set up jerk cords. Always fun to try new ideas. But have never ran battery powered. For good reason. Not legal.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 08:02:44 PM »

And in the end I had a great day. No complaints with the outcome of the hunt. Had a blast. Little frustration aside hunting in the heavy snow. Lots of birds. Great shooting. Great scenery. An amazing day.

Offline MADMAX

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 08:04:10 PM »

And in the end I had a great day. No complaints with the outcome of the hunt. Had a blast. Little frustration aside hunting in the heavy snow. Lots of birds. Great shooting. Great scenery. An amazing day.

I get it
I’d have called a warden
Let them handle it
 :twocents:
I Ain't Captain Walker.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2021, 08:12:30 PM »

:tup:

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2021, 08:14:23 PM »

Right!

So there I was, sitting on MY RIDGE and calling with my bugle and cow call, every once in a while like a pro, you know, locator bugles and cow in estrus calls only. When suddenly some jerk off comes walking out of the forest in front of me! And he's got a hoochie mama tied to the bottom of his boot! Just hitting that thing over and over in step. I can tell by the way he's walking he has no idea this is my ridge. I mean, what is he doing hunting on my ridge? And why is he walking around looking for elk doing challenge bugles? He should be setup waiting for one to come in to his blind! Everyone's an idiot but me... Lol poor guy

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2021, 08:22:07 PM »

Right!

So there I was, sitting on MY RIDGE and calling with my bugle and cow call, every once in a while like a pro, you know, locator bugles and cow in estrus calls only. When suddenly some jerk off comes walking out of the forest in front of me! And he's got a hoochie mama tied to the bottom of his boot! Just hitting that thing over and over in step. I can tell by the way he's walking he has no idea this is my ridge. I mean, what is he doing hunting on my ridge? And why is he walking around looking for elk doing challenge bugles? He should be setup waiting for one to come in to his blind! Everyone's an idiot but me... Lol poor guy

I guess based off this response you are ok with individuals not obeying the rule book. So I guess if I was on a ridge hunting elk and I was in a 3 point minimum area, "not open to cows" and another hunter approached and I saw shoot a cow and talked about it here and called that individual an idiot for breaking the law you would say I am the idiot. Gotcha those responses are always said by ones that act just like I witnessed today.

Again if laws were obeyed and inexperience was at play I wouldn't have said anything here. See it all year every year. I myself make mistakes like in elk hunting as we all do. Maybe one blows a stalk, calls at the wrong time, miss a shot. Lots of things happen. But we as hunters learn from our mistakes.

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2021, 08:26:08 PM »
you hunt on public land and that's what you deal with---public...yeah it sometimes sux but if someone is doing something "illegal" call the fish cops and let them deal with it and get some bonus points.  frustrating ?  YES---bitching about the public being public on this site is useless  :bash:
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline MADMAX

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2021, 08:29:00 PM »
you hunt on public land and that's what you deal with---public...yeah it sometimes sux but if someone is doing something "illegal" call the fish cops and let them deal with it and get some bonus points.  frustrating ?  YES---bitching about the public being public on this site is useless  :bash:
:yeah:

+1

Anymore I’m just happy to get back to where I parked and nobody messed with my rig
I Ain't Captain Walker.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2021, 08:31:03 PM »
Really just messing with you about your rant. I get so mad sometimes I say the wrong thing and that's kind of how you sound. I understand the illegal parts but your also going off about how often they call and using a white sheet instead of...  a northern flight box with blind door decoys? Your mad that they don't hit every bird, etc... Why didn't you approach them? Cuz they had guns? I'll bet they drive a white Ford huh?! Maybe leave them a note on their vehicle and see if they are receptive to your frustrations? Then turn them in to the game dept.  :dunno: I've never ate a snipe either. Why even shoot them?

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2021, 08:33:36 PM »
you hunt on public land and that's what you deal with---public...yeah it sometimes sux but if someone is doing something "illegal" call the fish cops and let them deal with it and get some bonus points.  frustrating ?  YES---bitching about the public being public on this site is useless

Had I had service I would have called them in. Sure a certain someone on this site will bad mouth me for saying that. My point of bringing it up here was in hopes that maybe the individual would see this post and understand the necessity of the rule book. Following the rules is respectful to the animal as well as the other hunters in the public. But future this is a good point. I will learn from this post. I learned that some people on this site are here to stand up for someone breaking the law and calling the person that sees this activity an idiot for bringing it up. Guess we all have different morals. For the ones that want to break the law. Go ahead. Have fun.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2021, 08:43:23 PM »
Really just messing with you about your rant. I get so mad sometimes I say the wrong thing and that's kind of how you sound. I understand the illegal parts but your also going off about how often they call and using a white sheet instead of...  a northern flight box with blind door decoys? Your mad that they don't hit every bird, etc... Why didn't you approach them? Cuz they had guns? I'll bet they drive a white Ford huh?! Maybe leave them a note on their vehicle and see if they are receptive to your frustrations? Then turn them in to the game dept.  :dunno: I've never ate a snipe either. Why even shoot them?
I was on shore. No boat. I was gonna approach them and politely have a discussion about things. I am not one to make a big confrontation that gets out of control with others like some people may see out at the rivers salmon fishing. They took off to the other side of the bay in the kayaks. I was trying to get first flight of birds before approaching. Later I went around surrounding roads and never saw a vehicle. Although they were across. Not sure how they accessed other than getting dropped off and picked up later. I have seen that a few times during the same day of the week. I wanted to talk or leave a note as that is why I went around looking for the vehicle.

As far as the white sheet in the snow goes. I thought that was a killer idea. Wasn't bad mouthing that. Just used that as a reference as to who it was. Again so if they read this they would have a more clear understanding as it to be them.

We all miss our share of birds. No one is 100% on birds. But as far as comments I said on shots go. With ammo prices, effective range, ammo availability, educating birds, wounding birds, etc. Keeping shots at reasonable distances will help a greater success in the end for all hunters throughout the season. 
I mix all waterfowl in a batch of ground with 50% elk and make pepperoni with the duck and such that I don't do home cooked meals with. So shooting snipe goes into pepperoni. They are a fun species to target. Almost seems like upland bird hunting quail along tall grass edges but snipe bust out. A lot of fun.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2021, 08:43:56 PM »
Just wait until they "improve" public access by paving the entry way and putting in a vault bathroom for you AND the people who just want to see the birds swim around, and they get pissed that your SHOOTING them! Isn't public land great! It's for everyone to use how they see fit and if another person doesnt like it, oh well! I say just turn them in next time. You have no idea how much I HATE dealing with pheasant hunters on the neighboring property who suck at pheasant hunting. It's just not worth my time ranting on here about it.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2021, 08:47:51 PM »
Have you ever ate the snipe by itself just to try it?

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2021, 08:49:07 PM »
are you in an area now to call it in ?  maybe give the authorities some information about what you saw, where it was and a description of the vehicle you suspect it may have been (if they were that close to you it would make sense they may have parked where you were ?}.  The authorities may contact them with your concerns and that may be enough to dissuade them from doing it again.  we don't know and nobody on this particular thread has promoted any illegal activity.  I have not seen anyone here advocating battery powered decoys and skybusting is not "illegal"...yes it is unethical but i have not seen anyone saying that is ok either
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2021, 08:49:53 PM »
Like I said. I was hopeful they were a member and my rant would help educate rules and ethical purposes. But I know we see a lot of these posts. And they get old for everyone.

I have eaten snipe over an open camp fire wrapped in bacon. Tasted fine. But probably because bacon makes everything taste good. Already put this batch into the grind so next time I get one I will do a solo taste test and make a post about that.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2021, 08:50:54 PM »
I got rid of every *censored* because they couldnt figure out thenice flows. Had most of the bay to myself. Horrible weather makes great hunting on the bay!
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2021, 08:55:39 PM »
are you in an area now to call it in ?  maybe give the authorities some information about what you saw, where it was and a description of the vehicle you suspect it may have been (if they were that close to you it would make sense they may have parked where you were ?}.  The authorities may contact them with your concerns and that may be enough to dissuade them from doing it again.  we don't know and nobody on this particular thread has promoted any illegal activity.  I have not seen anyone here advocating battery powered decoys and skybusting is not "illegal"...yes it is unethical but i have not seen anyone saying that is ok either

I am in an area now yes. But like I said I drove around when relocating to end the hunt in a better location away from the action and saw no vehicle parked. I believe they were dropped off. I could report but don't have a lot of info other than what I said here. I will watch on next outings and then based off what I see try to have a polite discussion with them and see where that goes. I think they are a local and hunt it often so probably will encounter in the future. And hope to see a good outcome and learning experience.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2021, 09:00:03 PM »
Yeah and unfortunately nothing will happen if you can't give them a vehicle description and description of the people, you know that. That's why I said white Ford. I deal with jerks near my house like this every day during the season. It sucks.

Offline builtfordtough

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2021, 09:43:30 PM »
Why the dig on a white Ford? I have 1 and its sexy!!!

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2021, 09:58:07 PM »
Cuz I have one too... Lol   Just a joke about giving the warden a generic vehicle description. I deal with these kind of people who hunt public land near me all the time. Just imagine the phone call. Yeah it was two guys hunting in a white Ford pickup. They had camo on. And they were carrying guns with bent barrels cuz they couldn't hit anything! The game dept is spread so thin they won't get anything done. I try calling while things are taking place and the guy has to cover 1000 square miles so he's never in the area. Our state is pathetic.

Offline KDB

• Hunter
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2021, 11:43:25 AM »
I believe I saw what was going on yesterday.  I was watching from the Parking lot above you guys.  I was wondering why they set up so close.

Offline RobinHoodlum

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2022, 10:15:26 AM »
Missed this thread, but can totally relate. I don't profess to be an expeert, so hope to not come across that way here.

I too saw a lot of head scratching 'hunting' on public this past week. Mainly incessant calling and what I consider sky busting (i.e. crippled birds lost in cover not searched, unretreivable birds in the open bay, LOTS of wasted ammo). Seeing a lot of groups that don't even bring a spread of decoys? I know how much this - the shooting, in particular - hoses up the surrounding area, so just move along to an area that isn't influenced by their behavior. Depending on conditions, it doesn't have to be that far. The boat is the best resource.

My experience has been that the egos of most are too big to try to mentor or educate. And, I'm always concerned that if you show a random jackwagon how to actually be successful, they (and all their bros) will have the area covered next time, next season, and beyond. Better to let burn through all their shells and maybe flame out on duck hunting entirely and take up another hobby. Selfish thinking and possibly self-defeating???

Also, since it came up here, snipe hunting is actually 'a thing' steeped in history and experiencing a bit of a resurgence. They are tough birds to target from the ground and successfully kill and recover. Having a good dog is a huge advatage Also, very small, so need a few for a meal. Have eaten it once and was tender and tasty.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2022, 10:30:47 AM »
I stopped hunting local goose land here in the Couve several years ago. There was a group of 10G guys who would magically be all set up in the five minutes after we could legally enter the hunting area. And then, shoot at anything within 120 yards of the ground or their blind. Every week, years in a row. Done.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Chesterdog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Eagle Scout
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2022, 11:12:42 AM »
How dare you have an expectation that hunters treat each other with courtesy.  Don't you know that public land is for meth-heads these days?  Park your truck with the windows open and your glove box dangling open or else expect your windows smashed.  Go join a duck club or go buy some land for yourself but if you don't have money, you don't matter any more in Washington.    If you can't afford to pay for a quality hunting experience, provided to you by a guide or an outfitter, then ***k off!  DIY public land hunting is dead.  Ethics and courtesy among hunters is no longer a cherished part of the sport.  And don't you dare bitch on a public forum about it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 02:24:04 PM by Chesterdog »

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2022, 01:07:51 PM »
I agree that it is frustrating but for me (hunting strictly public) it rarely happens. When it does I just pack it up and move on...these days you can end up shot (either on purpose or accidentally) dealing with ding-dongs. May not be everyone's way of dealing with it but it is better on my blood pressure  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]