collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to Washington, looking for sportsman/rod and gun club  (Read 2952 times)

Offline ElkTacos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
New to Washington, looking for sportsman/rod and gun club
« on: January 01, 2022, 01:20:41 PM »
Hi, I've been reading up on the forum for the last month or so since moving to WA. I've read through all of the threads I could find and checked out the links including those in the sticky. I'm an avid sportsman, hunting, bowhunting, shooting and fishing. I'm outside of Seattle. For those of you who are members or have visited what are your opinions of places like the Tacoma Sportsman's Club, Issaquah Sportsman's Club or Renton Fish and Game? Any other clubs I should be looking into? Paul Bunyan looks like the only private club I could turn up are there others?

The clubs that offer public access are good for a person like me that has not spent any time on a waitlist, but that could also mean the clubs are geared toward drop in shooters, but I wouldn't know unless I ask around so here I am. I'll go check out Tacoma soon. I've joined separate archery clubs and gun clubs in the past but an all in one home would be ideal. Thanks for any insights, I've got a lot to figure out since moving here but this is a good place to start.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: New to Washington, looking for sportsman/rod and gun club
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 01:30:36 PM »
I can say years ago, Tacoma Sportsmans Club was great, especially archery, and I imagine it is still a fantastic club.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 03:16:50 PM »
First of all, welcome to the HW site.
Tacoma Sportsman's Club is all inclusive they offer a lot. They are also a sponsor of HW. The Club has beginning trap/skeet classes, pistol/rifle classes and archery classes. For ranges they have member only rifle/pistol. The public ranges have pistol and rifle out to 200 yards that are open all year. The archery ranges are also open year-round, they also offer special 3-D shoots during the year on longer walking courses. They have a 12 station Sporting Clays course that is shot every 3rd Sunday January - September. The rifle committee has 600-yard shoots almost every month.
One of the unique aspects of TSC, as a member if you volunteer 20 hours a year your annual dues reduce down to $50. To get your 20 hours they have club cleanup, working the kid's trout pond at the Sportsman's annual kid's fishing derby and more. for more information see the link below.
http://tacomassportsmensclub.com/index.html
Yes, I'm bias toward TSC, I'm also on the BOD, feel free to PM me with questions.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 05:31:19 PM »
A little more specifics on you location would be helpful.  Ut im guessing SE  of Seattle. I know several  people involved at Tacoma Sportsmen and ut is a good club.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 09:56:17 PM »
I have been  a member at sportsman club  for many years still lots too offer and some great people

Online Rat44

• Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF,NRA,GOA
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 04:36:54 AM »
Been a member of Tacoma Sportsman Club for many years.
Great facility and people.
It can get crowded at times .
Be aware that they Do Not allow rapid fire.
And if you are a handloader and pistol shooter your brass gets mixed up with everybody else's on the floor.
No separated firing stations.
Those are the only issues that I have with them.
Highly recommend if your close by.

Offline ElkTacos

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 09:58:58 AM »
Thank you all for the feedback, Tacoma Sportsman's Club sounds pretty good. The website they have is helpful but your feedback has been awesome to hear. It's always encouraging when people will go out of their way to post some positive opinions of a place.

First of all, welcome to the HW site.
Tacoma Sportsman's Club is all inclusive they offer a lot. They are also a sponsor of HW.

Thanks I'm happy to be here. After finding the forum and then browsing around it for awhile to get familiar with it, it's a great place and has been helpful even before I posted a question. TSC sounds like it has it all!

Be aware that they Do Not allow rapid fire.
And if you are a handloader and pistol shooter your brass gets mixed up with everybody else's on the floor.

I do reload though i'm sure like all of you i'm getting lower and lower on certain components. That makes retaining the brass even more important. I'll take extra care to recover what i can.

A little more specifics on you location would be helpful.  Ut im guessing SE  of Seattle.

I'm near Kent at the moment but will be moving north east.

I have been  a member at sportsman club  for many years still lots too offer and some great people

Great! I'm looking forward to checking it out, thanks for the reply.

Offline highside74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 11:36:39 AM »
If you are going to drive to Tacoma Sportsmans id take an extra 20 min and go to The Upper Nisqaully Gun Club. 550y rifle range open ever day but competition days. 185yd 100yd 50yd plus 2 steal handgun ranges with multiple moving and stationary steal targets. Shotgun trap and skeet and a basic archery area.

The only thing Tacoma does better is archery. Everything else Nisqually punches Tacoma in the face.  :twocents:

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 11:41:05 AM »
“ One of the unique aspects of TSC, as a member if you volunteer 20 hours a year your annual dues reduce down to $50. To get your 20 hours they have club cleanup, working the kid's trout pond at the Sportsman's annual kid's fishing derby and more.”

Or, if they still offer it, become a life member and still volunteer if you wish! Did that years ago and have never regretted it.
There is also a walking path with a couple ponds I have used for dog training. Great place with good folks.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand