collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lox thread  (Read 6811 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Lox thread
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2022, 11:00:02 AM »
I generally just use kosher salt, but we could fill another thread with salt! So much more than table salt out there. One of my favorites was Lokidog's homemade Decatur Island salt. Great crunch and so good!

I used to smoke Spanish paprika and Med. sea salt on linen. It's great stuff.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2022, 11:08:34 AM »
I generally just use kosher salt, but we could fill another thread with salt! So much more than table salt out there. One of my favorites was Lokidog's homemade Decatur Island salt. Great crunch and so good!

I've been wanting to smoke some salt but was not sure how. I haven't really looked into it. You just put a piece of linen across your smoker rack? How long do you usually go?

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2022, 11:11:22 AM »

I've been wanting to smoke some salt but was not sure how. I haven't really looked into it. You just put a piece of linen across your smoker rack? How long do you usually go?

I made with stretcher bars with linen stapled to them. In the Big Chief, I smoke for three hours, stirring every hour. Pro Tip: Don't use the stretcher bars from your wife's crafting room. Go buy your own. This reduces the chance of head injury during smoking.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2022, 11:20:16 AM »
 :tup:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2022, 02:01:09 PM »
I've smoked paprika and salt by just putting them on a pan in my pellet grill and hitting it with cold smoke for a couple hours.  I spread it out a bunch and seemed to work perfect.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2022, 04:10:43 PM »
I've done the same thing with salt.  I call it bacon salt.  I've had better results with a courser salt that I grind myself.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2022, 08:09:51 AM »
I've done the same thing with salt.  I call it bacon salt.  I've had better results with a courser salt that I grind myself.
I use coarse. I've sold my salt and paprika to great chefs all over the country. But doing it in a Big Chief is very time consuming and the return is limited, especially when you pay taxes on sales.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2022, 12:27:42 PM »
For the sea salt, did you guys make your own?  Just boil a bunch of sea water or is there more to it than that?

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2022, 12:29:56 PM »
Way more complicated.  Lokidog explained it to me one time.  I decided against even trying.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2022, 10:57:31 AM »
For the sea salt, did you guys make your own?  Just boil a bunch of sea water or is there more to it than that?

You could do that, my process is a little more....  :chuckle:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2022, 11:08:05 AM »
Great, you know that feeling you get when you are standing on the bank of a river and the ground starts to give in....  Why does it feel like I'm about to head down another wormhole?

I'm already thinking of using my sausage chamber to finish off the slurry by cranking up the dehydrators to quicken the evaporation process.

1.  Get the sea water, run through a filter to remove any sand and other fun stuff that floats in the ocean.
2.  Heat in a pot below boiling until one inch of water left.
3.  Put in wide, shallow dishes in the chamber and crank humidity setting way down and run both humidifiers.

It's only three steps and doesn't require the purchase of any cool gear, obviously I haven't done enough research yet.   :chuckle: :dunno:

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2022, 11:26:16 AM »
Great, you know that feeling you get when you are standing on the bank of a river and the ground starts to give in....  Why does it feel like I'm about to head down another wormhole?

I'm already thinking of using my sausage chamber to finish off the slurry by cranking up the dehydrators to quicken the evaporation process.

1.  Get the sea water, run through a filter to remove any sand and other fun stuff that floats in the ocean.
2.  Heat in a pot below boiling until one inch of water left.
3.  Put in wide, shallow dishes in the chamber and crank humidity setting way down and run both humidifiers.

It's only three steps and doesn't require the purchase of any cool gear, obviously I haven't done enough research yet.   :chuckle: :dunno:

I'll send you a PM

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2022, 03:39:37 PM »
No, I buy 25K bags of coarse sel gris from a Seattle company, Saltworks. It's relatively cheap ($5/lb) and good quality.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2022, 10:03:39 AM »
OK, it ain't lox, but it's raw salmon, and it gets this thread going again. I'm cooking salmon less and less as I learn how much I like it raw. Had some Coho from a neighbor and made some more poke bowls. Coho with sesame oil and seeds, green onion, ginger, light soy sauce and Thai chilis - homegrown radish and broccoli micros - avocado - cold fried noodles with homemade Sichuan chili oil.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 10:18:37 AM by Angry Perch »
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2022, 10:32:52 AM »
Well, that's one way to get Ivermectin: parasites!  :chuckle: You probably know this already, but salmon should only be eaten raw after freezing. A typical kitchen freezer is usually around 0 degrees F and the fish should be frozen for a week to ten days before properly thawing and consuming raw. In a flash freezer of -20 to -30 F, three days is required.

That looks delicious. Ever try the 8 oz packages of frozen ahi cubes at Winco? They're about $5 each. I go through a few a month for my own poke.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]