collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: HB 5721 Would Move WDFW & State Parks Under Commissioner of Public Lands (DNR)  (Read 6694 times)

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
I just don't like Hilary Franz cause ,she closes public land on the drop of a hat. For fire season she acts like DNR owns private property. This year will be a perfect example here soon ,mega snowpack and I'm just waiting to hear the woods are closed for early bear season in August.

Mega snow now has nothing to do with woods conditions in August.  Even a late wet warm spring can hurt access in August because of additional brush grow and then a couple of dry months and were in a bad situation.  If jack-wagons wouldn't insist on being careless in tinder dry woods maybe the woods wouldn't be closed.   Smokey the Bear can't be everywhere.
I agree with fire season to a point,burn bans,no target shooting,fireworks,ect,ect.
I don't agree with kicking everybody out the woods or shuting down rifle season for bear season.
I can also argue maybe they should do more fuel management instead of kicking us to the curb.
I can see your opinion on the subject though.
This kicking us completely out didn't start till 2020 due to China flu ,now Hilary has turned it into a yearly thing.

I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough

Governor->senator/ representative-> president.

Very perceptive.

Actually, I don't think this is a terrible idea.  Let me explain.

The Commission is currently un-accountable to the general public.  All commissioners are appointed by the Governor, confirmed by the Senate.  There is no direct input from the public.  (I know, there is a comment period on candidates.)  Those living east of the mountains, those not belonging to the Democrat party (I repeat myself) have very little sway over the Commission.  Additionally, special interest groups have a very large impact on the Governor's appointments (groups not friendly to hunting and fishing communities).

The Land Commissioner is directly elected by the entire state.  Yes, this is true of the Governor as well, but at least the Land Commissioner is a competitive race.  Yes, the current Land Commissioner would be difficult for hunting interests if she became the overlord of WDFW, but this would not always be the case.

Given how un-accountable the F&G Commission has become, I am willing to roll the dice.

I have never lived in Kevin Van de Wege's districts, so I cannot comment on Humptulips' statement.  My past dealings with the Senator have been pleasant.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen

Very perceptive.

The Commission is currently un-accountable to the general public.  All commissioners are appointed by the Governor, confirmed by the Senate.  There is no direct input from the public.  (I know, there is a comment period on candidates.)  Those living east of the mountains, those not belonging to the Democrat party (I repeat myself) have very little sway over the Commission.  Additionally, special interest groups have a very large impact on the Governor's appointments (groups not friendly to hunting and fishing communities).

The Land Commissioner is directly elected by the entire state.  Yes, this is true of the Governor as well, but at least the Land Commissioner is a competitive race.  Yes, the current Land Commissioner would be difficult for hunting interests if she became the overlord of WDFW, but this would not always be the case.

Given how un-accountable the F&G Commission has become, I am willing to roll the dice.

I have never lived in Kevin Van de Wege's districts, so I cannot comment on Humptulips' statement.  My past dealings with the Senator have been pleasant.

Van We Wag has been a HSUS senator of the year several years runnung
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA

Very perceptive.

If the Lands Commissioner takes control of WDFW it will make the race equivalent to a referendum on hunting every four years. Remember what happened on the baiting and hound hunting Initiative and the trapping Initiative. HSUS outspent us to get their way. Imagine that every four years. Most voters in WA are not hunters. We have a poor track record of convincing them in our favor.
The Lands Commissioner would have virtually dictatorial powers. The F&W Commision would be irrelevant. At least now the members are approachable, and you can talk with them. I grind my teeth at times but at least I feel we have input.
The system we have now is broken because of the horrible Governor we have. He won't be there forever. I feel there are some changes that could be made to improve the Commission, but you are not going to get them from Kevin Van de Wege. I am in his district and when he was my Representative, he would not even talk with me because I represented trappers. When he was on the House Committee on Agriculture and Natural Resources his input was always negative towards Sportsmen. Thank God, Brian Blake was there to keep him in check.  He will screw us if he gets the chance.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Hovel Downs

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA
I just don't like Hilary Franz cause ,she closes public land on the drop of a hat. For fire season she acts like DNR owns private property. This year will be a perfect example here soon ,mega snowpack and I'm just waiting to hear the woods are closed for early bear season in August.

Mega snow now has nothing to do with woods conditions in August.  Even a late wet warm spring can hurt access in August because of additional brush grow and then a couple of dry months and were in a bad situation.  If jack-wagons wouldn't insist on being careless in tinder dry woods maybe the woods wouldn't be closed.   Smokey the Bear can't be everywhere.
the fuel moisture 1000 hour fuels (3-6 inches) and larger are effected primarily by snowpack and absolutely contribute to fire intensity and spread.  Snow pack has little influence on grass and brush fuel types except to delay green-up thus the ultimate curing date they are available as fuel.   This is why drought years are so devastating in timber, drought indexes rely heavily on heavy fuels for their inputs.

Online bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
This bill is up for it's public hearing today.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer

If you want to get anywhere with him, you need to be a firefighter or come from their perspective.  Not sure where the bunny hugger angle comes from, maybe the wife or kid?  But the district is really so Californian suburbia, if he wants to stay in and do things for firefighters he needs all votes from the old ladies that knit dog sweaters for the animal shelters.

Online bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
I just watched the public session scheduled for this bill. After Van De Wege saw that all public comment that was going to be heard was going to be opposed to this bill he canceled the hearing. He stated most opposed were State Parks supporters.

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
So kind of a win but not really based on the three commission appointees?

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
I just watched the public session scheduled for this bill. After Van De Wege saw that all public comment that was going to be heard was going to be opposed to this bill he canceled the hearing. He stated most opposed were State Parks supporters.

So at the end of the day what does this mean ?  Does this essentially kill the bill or what ?

Offline blackdog

• Longhunter
  • Advocate ..
Bill is dead.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Bill is dead.

How do you look this up?
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough

Online bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
Bill is dead.
How do you look this up?
In most instances there's not a way to look up if a bill is dead or not. This bill is a perfect example, it was scheduled for public hearing but the chair of the committee who is also the sponsor of the bill decided to not hear it. So the hearing did not occur, and a vote will not occur. So if you look at the link pickard provided it just shows that it was scheduled for a hearing.

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Yeah, kind of in purgatory until it's officially closed out...however it is they do that.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]