collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Youth Hunt Exotic Rams  (Read 1470 times)

Offline BlackRiverTaxidermy

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Joel - Owner/Taxidermist
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA, WSTA
Youth Hunt Exotic Rams
« on: January 15, 2022, 02:24:22 PM »
Afternoon. Just returned from our annual banquet in Tillamook for Titan Outdoors youth hunt, 'Lil Titans- Hunt for the Future'. I'm sure some have seen years past a post about this from me, but a tremendous outreach we do for the youth in encouragement to get interested into hunting and outdoors. The 501C-3 program has kids from ages 9-15 apply via video essay (why they want to go on the hunt, some fun facts about them, etc.). Youth are chosen with emphasis on creativity of their essay along with 3 criteria which are 1. Kids that have hunted but have never been successful 2. kids that would like to hunt but don't have the means (financial or no knowledge of where to start), 3. and kids with disabilities or having a tough time in life (recent death in family, medical condition, etc.). 12-14 kids are chosen through the selection process of our pro-staff/board members and contacted. Winners get an all-expenses (minus travel to the ranch) paid 3-day hunt at 4 Aces Ranch in Madras, Oregon, a 5500 square-acre ranch, towards the end of March. Family members come too as the ranch has RV/camping areas and several bunkhouses. Over the 3 days the kids go on their hunt of course with a video crew and 1 family member and get to harvest a full-curl ram of their choosing. As you can see by the pics there are A LOT of different species. Even though this is a high-fence ranch, the area is so large, and cliff riddled it truly is a hunt as these animals are very much wild and VERY much aware they are being hunted!
At the camp, we have a meat processor on hand that helps the youth cut and package their meat and turn it into sausage, a field instructor from Fish and Game that can certify their field days for both Washington and Oregon for their licenses, and a taxidermist (myself) that teaches skinning and caping methods. Evenings are filled with games, bonfires, and funny stories. Meals are provided by a Papa Bears Meats out of Oregon via their incredible BBQ set-up. The trophies are taken back, mounted, and presented to them in January at the annual banquet and fundraising event at no cost and paid for through donations tanneries (Moyle Mink) and the supply company (McKenzie Taxidermy). It's incredible to see these kids take up hunting after this event!
Pics are of the majority of 2020 & 2021 rams (2020 we were not allowed to have a banquet due to Covid restrictions). A truly awesome program to be a part of and one of the most enjoyed events every year for me.
Joel - BRT
WWW.blackrivertaxidermy.com
360-789-5056- Joel Swecker-BRT

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Youth Hunt Exotic Rams
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 02:34:23 PM »
You are a hero.

Can I ask what creature that is on top in the corner?  Does it have 2 sets of horns?
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline BlackRiverTaxidermy

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Joel - Owner/Taxidermist
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA, WSTA
Re: Youth Hunt Exotic Rams
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 02:38:24 PM »
You are a hero.

Can I ask what creature that is on top in the corner?  Does it have 2 sets of horns?

Those have to be one of the weirdest species he has there on the ranch, and every year a kiddo shoots one. Let me tell you, they are one of the hardest species of these rams to do from a taxidermist perspective. Their formal name is the '4-horn Jacob Sheep'.
Side story.... I put several of these rams on a form at an event several years ago and I had an elderly woman stop me mid progress on another 4-horn I was completing. As a sheep farmer she considered herself an 'expert' in all the breeds and began to argue with me that it was a real breed, claiming it was a 'fantasy animal'. "nope ma'am, they are a real breed, a very old one too, very popular in the UK"...she stormed off. lol
WWW.blackrivertaxidermy.com
360-789-5056- Joel Swecker-BRT

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]