collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What We Already Knew About Why We Aren't Seeing Elk  (Read 10108 times)

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
Re: What Already Knew About Why We Aren't Seeing Elk
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2022, 07:45:46 PM »
An idea I have talked up with the Department for a number of years, trapping season on Cougar. The Commission has the power to do this without going to the Legislature. All they would need to do is reclassify cougar with the dual classification of big game/ furbearer and set a season. It would be cage traps only, but I believe it would be possible to catch cougar in a cage trap. Many units never reach their target harvest. Why not open those units to trapping? I had thought in the past if the Department would give a nod to it the Commission might listen.  I have pretty much gotten the cold shoulder from the Department.
With the current makeup of the Commission, I would have less hope. I think the idea still has merit though. Personally, I think anything that would increase the harvest of cougar would be a good thing. I'm not sure how many cougar might be taken this way but it is worth a try IMO.
I know it sounds good,and it may be good for awhile.
But the WDFW is doing you a favor ,they don't want trapping cougar in the public eye. And the damage that could result to trapping. You only have to look at the damage hound permits for bear to lumber company land. Now look at it,now that it in the public eye they don't give them out now.
Basicly you don't want that ball of 💩 and the damage that could come to trapping season when it hits the public view.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 07:53:44 PM by hunter399 »
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2022, 07:56:36 PM »
We want any and every prudent management practice we can get for predator control that we can get.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2022, 08:13:23 PM »
We want any and every prudent management practice we can get for predator control that we can get.
So you want trapping of cougar,even though you may lose all trapping seasons later on.When all the anti-hunters throw a big fit,protest,email,and convince governor inslee to do so.

All I'm saying is ,you have to think things through a bit.
And this is the reason WDFW won't support trapping of cougar, are you willing to risk a whole user groups season over a few cougar.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2022, 08:29:08 PM »
So you want trapping of cougar,even though you may lose all trapping seasons later on.When all the anti-hunters throw a big fit,protest,email,and convince governor inslee to do so.

And this is the reason WDFW won't support trapping of cougar, are you willing to risk a whole user groups season over a few cougar.

Did you ever witness the elk herds in the Blues in the early 2000’s?

Kill every rotten predator we legally can.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2022, 08:32:10 PM »

Did you ever witness the elk herds in the Blues in the early 2000’s?

Kill every rotten predator we legally can.
I do agree kill every predator that we legally can.👍👍
Inslee won't even raise cougar quota ,what do you think he will do to trapping seasons ,if he found out WDFW authorized a cougar trapping season.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2022, 11:02:55 AM »

The Antis are more organized in Wa now. What makes you think that they are not intent on banning live cage traps now?  How would live cage trapping cats as a season change that?

The antis are coming for ALL hunting. Boot hunting cats is not effective, we arnt getting hounds back.

Perhaps thenproblem is we just arnt pushing back enougj.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2022, 11:08:20 AM »

The Antis are more organized in Wa now. What makes you think that they are not intent on banning live cage traps now?  How would live cage trapping cats as a season change that?

The antis are coming for ALL hunting. Boot hunting cats is not effective, we arnt getting hounds back.

Perhaps thenproblem is we just arnt pushing back enougj.

I think we're pushing back as hard as we can. The 10s of millions the animal rights lobby has to send out misinformation over the airwaves far outstrips what our combined efforts by tenfold. In addition, when legislation doesn't go their way, they use taxpayer money to sue the government and place injunctions on management orders. Along with the help they're buying from our governor and other politicians in Olympia, and the woke idiots they're convincing in King Co., it seems unsurmountable for the rest of the state to have reasonable population control on predators..
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline sixgun_symphony

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA, NMLRA
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2022, 09:10:40 PM »
You can thank the WA Supreme court jesters for not overturning the Initiative!!  They couldn't count!  Our state claims to have "single" issue Initiative system.  To bad the court jesters couldn't count past ONE!  But then the WDFW didn't fight very hard either! :bash: :bash:

All of those judges were elected onto the court.

The real problem here is that most hunters don't vote. Most gun owners don't vote A percentage of those that do vote are yellow dog Democrats that would be happy to surrender hunting and firearms to keep their party in power.
Audacity, and again, audacity, and always audacity.

Offline sixgun_symphony

• Tracker
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2022, 09:49:44 PM »
 I see where that logic leads, everyone must give up on trapping, give up on hunting, and everyone must give up their guns because the Left will have a hissy-fit if we don't.   :rolleyes:

Offline sixgun_symphony

• Tracker
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2022, 09:54:49 PM »
We need to win some elections if we are going to turn things around.

That many are not aware that voter initiatives against hunting and trapping had passed, I know that they have not voted as they have not been paying attention to politics. That most of our people don't vote is why the Left has put restrictions on hunting/trapping, while introducing wolves to eliminate hunting as a management tool for populations of ungulates.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2022, 01:45:37 AM »
We need to win some elections if we are going to turn things around.

That many are not aware that voter initiatives against hunting and trapping had passed, I know that they have not voted as they have not been paying attention to politics. That most of our people don't vote is why the Left has put restrictions on hunting/trapping, while introducing wolves to eliminate hunting as a management tool for populations of ungulates.
I agree
Inslee needs voted out,I'd take a homeless bum as governor.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2022, 07:04:35 AM »
Way too many people defending WDFW.  They have done nothing to help at all, and they're not nearly as powerless at people pretend.  They could be running ads showing calves/fawns getting eaten, educating the public, and strongly pushing for a return to hound hunting.  Let's face it, we're doomed without vast increases in predator harvest, and WDFW is doing nothing at all to help and many things to hinder. 

Online Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2022, 08:03:50 AM »
WDFW is doing a great job and are headed exactly where they want to be - no hunting. It's full of leftist, anti hunting activists.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2022, 08:29:12 AM »
WDFW is doing a great job and are headed exactly where they want to be - no hunting. It's full of leftist, anti hunting activists.
No at the current moment they take our money,then please the anti-hunters.

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2022, 10:50:44 AM »
Hunters are only about 2% of the population.  Thinking we can  organize in to a voting block is crazy talk.  We have to use the organizations that we have set up to try and influence the WDFW in a meaningful way.  We will see what the 21st brings about the spring Bear to see if these organizations hold any sway with the department.  The spring Bear cancel got a lot of attention online so let's hope this works or we will keep losing. 

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal