collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Experienced Hunter New to the West  (Read 3475 times)

Offline UplandSetter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: Washington Waterfowl Association, Upland Journal
Experienced Hunter New to the West
« on: January 14, 2022, 10:19:40 AM »
Hey y'all, I'm new to the forum and to the state. Recently got stationed in NW Washington and pumped to be in a state with all this outdoor opportunity. I grew up in Texas and spent a decent amount of time on the east coast, hunting and fishing my entire life. Currently have 4-dozen duck decoys, a duck boat, a 4-year-old English setter who is an upland stud, bows, rifles, shotguns, the list goes on. However, I've only stand-hunted for big game the eastern way my whole life. Spot-and-stalk is new to me, and so is the complex draw system (everywhere I've lived you get at least two deer tags every year, there aren't game units).

Everywhere I've been stationed I've made a new hunting buddy relationship with someone, and that's something that I take very seriously. I'm looking for someone I can learn about big game mountain hunting, spot-and-stalk style. I'm more than willing to travel, and would love to trade experience with you for some upland hunts/duck hunts etc, because I know I can get that dialed. I've done a fair amount of upland hunting to trips out west, and my dog comes out every year for 2 months, so we could at least go on some good upland hunts together haha.

You don't need to worry about me taking your spots, I'll do all the scouting, etc. I just want someone there to help with the more experienced side of things (i.e. thermals, time of day behaviors, etc). Or I'll just tag along for a pack out or something like that. You don't gotta worry about me keeping up, I'm an experienced backpacker, but just never paired it up with hunting.

I'm a freezer filler, so not even looking for giant horns necessarily. I just think this is an awesome state and I'm super lucky to be here. At the end of the day I'd like to meet some like-minded guys who want to hit the mountain with me. It'll be for the 2022-23 season, currently on an extended work trip (if you catch my drift).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 10:31:48 AM by UplandSetter »
Just need an English setter and a good pair of boots

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Experienced Hunter New to the West
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 10:24:36 AM »
Welcome to the forum and thanks for serving. You should have no trouble here finding a good partner with whom to hunt.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 10:35:10 AM »
I see your already a WWA member, thats great and the NW chapter has lots of navy members. Matt Klope of Whidbey Island Taxidermy is an member and ex navy. Silver arrow Bowmen in Mount Vernon is the best archery club in the state.(Im kinda biased) and once again lots of Navy members. Both have  FB pages and both hold monthly meetings.  Absolutely the best WWA NW chapter meeting is usually Sept or Oct because they have the private lands/reserve to hunt program MGR Rob Wingaurd give a presentation. Hes a stud, does a great job and presentation. Plus when you kick him in the nuts about something he dishes it back in good fun.

Welcome to the area.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Iveexcaped3

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
    • Riverside Construction, LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 11:05:06 AM »
If you watch YouTube. born and raised & fresh tracks have a ton of western hunting information. Not suggesting that it’s better than hands on but definitely good to watch when you have time to kill. B&R boys are down in Oregon so very similar to wa hunting.

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 12:06:10 PM »
Like was said, since you are experienced and back pack you about have it covered. Wife and I call it "Hiking with a gun" because that is pretty much what it is. You find an open area, and start walking. Look for game trails, take 15 steps (way I was taught), stop, look, and listen, take another 15 steps. Same with jump shooting when everything is open for birds.
The regs are a stinker to wade through, but you will get the hang of them if you keep at it.
Welcome to Wa!
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 12:11:44 PM »
You mentioned not a horn hunter, but are you looking to hunt deer, elk, game birds, etc?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline UplandSetter

• Tracker
  • Groups: Washington Waterfowl Association, Upland Journal
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 10:38:45 PM »
Thank you to everyone for the responses so far.

I see your already a WWA member, thats great and the NW chapter has lots of navy members. Matt Klope of Whidbey Island Taxidermy is an member and ex navy. Silver arrow Bowmen in Mount Vernon is the best archery club in the state.(Im kinda biased) and once again lots of Navy members. Both have  FB pages and both hold monthly meetings.  Absolutely the best WWA NW chapter meeting is usually Sept or Oct because they have the private lands/reserve to hunt program MGR Rob Wingaurd give a presentation. Hes a stud, does a great job and presentation. Plus when you kick him in the nuts about something he dishes it back in good fun.

Welcome to the area.

I was lucky that I had enough time to make it to one of the meetings. They're a great group of guys and run an amazing chapter of the organization. I can't wait to go on some hunts with them next year. Also extremely welcoming to a random guy like me who just showed up to a chapter meeting out of the blue.

You mentioned not a horn hunter, but are you looking to hunt deer, elk, game birds, etc?

Thanks, I should clarify: I'm not above shooting something without antlers, provided it's legal of course. When I was in Virginia I gained an appreciation for antlerless hunting, due to their overrun deer population out there. All I was trying to say is if there are OTC options for antlerless deer or elk, or something like that, I'm not above going on that hunt. I like having meat in the freezer haha.
Just need an English setter and a good pair of boots

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 08:46:49 AM »
If your ever heading to Eastern Washington for birds shoot me a PM and I can point you to some cool places. You will find in the hunting regs that elk tags are divided in the state so you have to choose either East or West but with deer you can hunt anywhere there's an open unit statewide. We have some other strange rules you might come across so just asking here and we will be glad to help out. Welcome to Washington!

Offline Iveexcaped3

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
    • Riverside Construction, LLC
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 10:22:21 AM »
If your ever heading to Eastern Washington for birds shoot me a PM and I can point you to some cool places.

:hello: over here heyyyyy   :chuckle:

Actually considered chasing chuckar this morning but snow, frozen fog, and cliff sides are not a good combo

Online Bowhunter3

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 03:05:04 PM »
Good lookin dog

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull