collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Decline of hunting opportunities (onx articles)  (Read 7782 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Decline of hunting opportunities (onx articles)
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2022, 02:36:58 PM »
I'm just happy that I rarely hear people say "going out of state this year to Washington". I'm not saying we have a great state for hunting, but poor statistics definitely keeps new hunters from exploring our opportunities.

This statement cracked me up.

It sounds silly, but then name a state where you can buy an OTC tag and hunt whitetail, mule deer, or blacktail over a 3-1/2 week period with a rifle with that single tag.

Move to any other western state and you can.  In MT, you get 10-12 weeks with any legal weapon for example, all for less than WA.  $100 less if you buy the multi season.

I'm glad to do my part to help you guys out.  I understand why you hunt here, we can probably agree to hunt different states and both be happy about it.

Offline Platensek-po

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2022, 02:38:38 PM »
I'm just happy that I rarely hear people say "going out of state this year to Washington". I'm not saying we have a great state for hunting, but poor statistics definitely keeps new hunters from exploring our opportunities.

It sounds silly, but then name a state where you can buy an OTC tag and hunt whitetail, mule deer, or blacktail over a 3-1/2 week period with a rifle with that single tag.

Move to any other western state and you can.  In MT, you get 10-12 weeks with any legal weapon for example, all for less than WA.  $100 less if you buy the multi season.

I'm glad to do my part to help you guys out.  I understand why you hunt here, we can probably agree to hunt different states and both be happy about it.

You can hunt black tail in montana? :dunno:
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2022, 02:53:59 PM »
Sure, they call them mule deer.   :chuckle:  Black tail and everything, just less rain and ferns to shoot through.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2022, 03:40:42 PM »
The only other state to hunt all 3 would be Oregon.  CA has no whitetails and very few if any mule deer or whitetail in Alaska.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline ljsommer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2022, 04:25:39 PM »
Out of curiosity, how much do people actually care about "being able to hunt all 3 species"? Compared to just having a high quality hunt experience for one or two species, how would you stack-rank the ability to drive to the soggy thick forests of Western WA and then hunt mulies in the mountains/east side, and then drive to the border to hunt white tails? Is that a thing people actually do? If so, would you call that a critical piece of your hunting experience?

Offline Platensek-po

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2022, 04:53:19 PM »
Out of curiosity, how much do people actually care about "being able to hunt all 3 species"? Compared to just having a high quality hunt experience for one or two species, how would you stack-rank the ability to drive to the soggy thick forests of Western WA and then hunt mulies in the mountains/east side, and then drive to the border to hunt white tails? Is that a thing people actually do? If so, would you call that a critical piece of your hunting experience?

I like the idea of it more than I actually like or do it. Honestly it’s cool and all but not a huge draw for me. Honestly looking at some of those eastern states being able to harvest multiple deer a season would be better than being able to harvest a different deer each year.
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline Ironhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2022, 05:19:01 PM »

Well how about this instead...How about Mule Deer, Whitetail and Branch Antlered Elk in ID, MT and WY. With a hell of a lot better harvest rates.

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Online ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2022, 06:02:50 PM »
I have hunted this state all my life, except four years in Alaska. And I liked hunting here better.
I talk about Idaho once in awhile couple buddies moved there. But a grandson keeps me hunting here.

I retired the end of last year, and this year I and retired  buddies will be out scouting new grounds. I worked till 70 so I could afford to spend more time out hunting. Oh you won’t see us five miles in but we will be out there. We intend to scout new spots four days every month till seasons open. We have all the time in the world, if we choose a new place we will have our choice of camp spots because we have the resources to get there sooner and stay there longer. We don’t mind other hunters because most don’t have the time we have to put in. We didn’t get hung up in the big rv life style, we use Canvas tents and small trailers which helps us stay flexible and gets into camps where the big RV crowd can’t go. For now I will play the Washington game.

When we scout a spot we go there and we sleep there for four days or more. We let the animals do there thing and we watch. Oh yeah the big deer won’t be there , but if it holds deer before season it will hold deer during season. We have used this tactic many times to pick spots.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2022, 07:15:18 PM »
I guess all the break in’s on vehicles would make me nervous to leave ANYTHING un attended. Both of our trailers were broken into, and they went over a 5’ fence to do it! Hauled a 75 lb forklift batt over it as well!
Scouting and camping is great fun. Happy for ya!
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2022, 09:24:53 PM »
More hunters do not cause less opportunities!  Game departments don't look at the number of hunters to determine tags given out.  The only thing that determines the amount of tags is the amount of animals available to harvest. 

We have just came off of 4 or 5 years of a screaming along economy.  It is already slowing down.   People will stop applying as the economy slows down.  Less people applying will make getting a tag easier.  But the same amount of animals will be available to hunt.

If you are worried about less tags pray for light winters and wet springs!
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Online ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2022, 11:14:20 PM »
I guess all the break in’s on vehicles would make me nervous to leave ANYTHING un attended. Both of our trailers were broken into, and they went over a 5’ fence to do it! Hauled a 75 lb forklift batt over it as well!
Scouting and camping is great fun. Happy for ya!

Security is on everyones mind. Skagit county has a car or truck stolen almost every day. County sheriffs have responded to 27 car break ins at trail heads, waterfowl sites too. It’s every where because the prosecutors are not charging property crimes. It a free ride.
But I refuse to let that deter me from out door activities. I just bought additional alarms for my truck tonight. Doing what I can to make a lot of noise if they mess with it.

Sorry for the degress. Back to the OP topic. :sry:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline dagon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
    • nope
  • Groups: master hunter, hunter ed instructor, ducks unlimited. rmef
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2022, 07:47:29 AM »
Going to Wyoming draw method of the majority of the tags going to those with the most points. I don't understand how I get further behind every year with all those with the high points going back to one point. Where are all these new folks coming from with lots of points? :dunno:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2022, 07:53:48 AM »
They sit on the sidelines buying points until they decide to hunt.  The stats and odds are all based on last years draw and don't include those that buy points but don't apply.  GoHunt has some of that data, you can see how many people are on the sidelines but you never know where or when they will jump in.

Unfortunately there are tons of guys with tons of points.  I don't actually apply to hunt in WY until I have enough points for over 80% odds and can fit it into my schedule, so I never show up in the stats or odds.

Offline Sundance

• Scout
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2022, 10:45:16 AM »
For the three subspecies opportunity I try to take advantage of it every season. In 2021 I hunted both blacktail and whitetail, but some years ago (before kids) I would hunt all three. Usually 1st week for mule deer, second week for blacktail, then the late rifle for whitetail. I've started to take advantage of the 2-bears per season in Western WA, they are everywhere on the peninsula. I hunt branch bulls every year OTC in Western WA, both for cascades and roosevelts. I will supplement with AK or AZ deer hunts (Sitka and Coues), and possibly this year go on a MT doe hunt with the kids. Again, it's not the best state but I can consistently get P&Y bucks, branch bulls, and 2 bears a year if I put in 10-15 days. I could move to AK or another western state and have a better quality for a particular species, but overall I prefer the diversity of species, the different landscapes, and the easy of access (no boats/planes) I can get in WA. Once WA drops OTC deer/elk/bear then my evaluation will significantly change. 

Offline Sundance

• Scout
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2022, 10:58:36 AM »

I kicked around the idea of having a two tag system- one just as it is and the other a multiseason for a single GMU. Idea being that someone could pay the regular rate and get a multiseason tag for a specific unit, or stay with the current system. I'd thought it would be nice to just focus on one unit and have 4-months to hunt, but I now prefer the flexibility to move around. I hunted 10 GMU's in 2020 for blacktail, most of those only being 1-day but still I enjoy being able to bounce around.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]