collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Buying a horse  (Read 8909 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Buying a horse
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 08:55:04 PM »
First piece of advice is take your time, don't rush into anything.  When I searched for my perfect saddle mule I looked at over 20 mules before I found the one.  Things I did not want to deal with.  Pull back when tied, pawing or pacing insistently when tied.  No buck, no bite, no kicking.  Leads nice, loads in the trailer every time.  Not a as big a deal with a horse, but no issues with their ears.  Lowers their head when haltering.  Easy to catch. No trouble for the farrier. I went on three trail rides before I paid for my mule.  Best mule I ever owned.  Don't compromise, look a bunch of horses over.  Good luck!!

Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline HUNTIN4SIX

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • My wife loves me.
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2022, 11:16:45 PM »
My daughter owns the horse you are looking, not sure if she’ll part with him.  She is using him for her HS equestrian team.  I’ll ask her?
We have bought more horses than I’d like to think about.
The funniest advice I have is make the owner you are buying from ride it first and then tell them what to do on it.  We have actually had a few refuse to ride their own horse after they just bragged about.  Some give really good excuses too...LOL. 

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2022, 05:47:09 AM »
Machias that is one good looking mule and agree that it takes time to find THE ONE, but when you do you know it. A lot of "equestrian" folks won't consider riding a mule but they are IMO a smoother more enjoyable ride than a lot of the supposed smooth horses
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2022, 10:06:29 AM »
My daughter owns the horse you are looking, not sure if she’ll part with him.  She is using him for her HS equestrian team.  I’ll ask her?
The funniest advice I have is make the owner you are buying from ride it first and then tell them what to do on it.  We have actually had a few refuse to ride their own horse after they just bragged about.  Some give really good excuses too...LOL. 

Great advice!!
Fred Moyer

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2022, 10:09:10 AM »
Machias that is one good looking mule and agree that it takes time to find THE ONE, but when you do you know it. A lot of "equestrian" folks won't consider riding a mule but they are IMO a smoother more enjoyable ride than a lot of the supposed smooth horses

Thanks, she was a special gal!  About as bomb proof as they get.  I used her two years on mounted search and rescue.  We would go to desensitizing clinics and everyone with a horse wanted to follow Abbey as she would not balk at anything I asked her to doing.
Fred Moyer

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2022, 10:10:32 AM »

Great advice!!

We did this when we bought our last horse, actually in a parking lot on Steven's Pass which was helpful because of all the distractions. Seeing her being in a new environment with all the distractions was a good test.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2022, 11:05:55 AM »

Thanks, she was a special gal!  About as bomb proof as they get.  I used her two years on mounted search and rescue.  We would go to desensitizing clinics and everyone with a horse wanted to follow Abbey as she would not balk at anything I asked her to doing.

Sounds like she was very similar to the horse I rode cross country beside US 2,  trucks, cars, tractor trailers, dogs, farm tractors, trains with their horns, birds flying up from underneath her, shooting off her back she was one solid horse. Plus she stepped put at about 4 mph and as smooth a gate as butter,, which really made the ride fun and enjoyable as did not take lo g to cover 20 miles a day.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2022, 11:38:11 AM »
That is a gorgeous mule @Machias! My grandpa used to raise appaloosa mules for packing and I've still got a soft spot for mules. They are hard to beat in the mountains!

To the OP, I agree 100% with the advice for an at-home trial. A seller that truly cares about their horse will have no problem making sure it goes to the right home. I've always given a 30 day full money back trial period when I've sold horses in the past. I also checked out the home the horse was going to, and wouldn't sell to just anybody.

Here is a starter list of questions from the AQHA website when you do find a horse you're interested in. Obviously you can add to or remove the questions that don't pertain to you. Good luck with the horse search and keep us updated!  :tup:

Buying a Horse Checklist
When you first contact a seller about a horse he or she has for sale, you should be prepared with your questions. Here is a list of  questions to get you started:

___ Is he registered and do you have the original registration certificate?

___ Is this a gelding, stallion or mare?

___ What condition is the horse in?

___ Does he have any health problems?

___ What is the horse’s personality like? Quiet and well-mannered, high-strung or “spirited” and likes to go?

___ What does the horse look like?

___ How tall is the horse?

___ How old is the horse?

___ What kind of training has he had?

___ Is he road safe?

___ What is the horse’s recent background? What has he been doing? Has he been out to pasture or has he been used in English, western, 4-H, ranch, trail riding, lessons, driving, roping, reining, cutting, racing, etc.?

___ What vices does he have, if any?

___ Does he load into a trailer? Does he stand tied?

___ Has the horse been stalled or is he a pasture horse?

___ Has he lived alone or with other horses?

___ If handled by a trader or trainer, who owned him before? How long did they own him? Why are they selling the horse? May I speak with the previous owner?

___ Does he have a current Coggins test? If not, are you willing to get the horse tested?

___ Do you have someone at your place who will tack up and ride the horse?

___ Do you have an enclosed arena or enclosed pasture where I can try out the horse? If not, are you willing to take the horse to a public arena, demonstrate riding him and allow me to ride him?

___ If I like the horse, will you hold him for a vet check for me?

___ What is the horse's vaccination and deworming history?
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2022, 06:27:22 PM »
 Many thanks for ALL the advise! I may have “jumped” the gun a bit. After listening to her read me horse ads yesterday evening for an hour I came here to post. She’ll get a horse but I think it’ll be more closer to springtime. None of your posts were wasted for sure. I am soaking in any advise I can get. I want her to get “that horse” and I’ll help her as much as I can! Thank you very much for the advise!

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2022, 06:32:55 PM »
 We were at Bryce Canyon once many years ago to ride horses into the canyon. The wrangler rode up on a mule and started asking everyone what they wanted to ride. All the women wanted horses…I saw the wrangler ride up on a mule so I told him that I wanted a mule….he smiled and winked at me! I had myself a trouble free, smooth ride that day! 😁

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2022, 11:56:05 AM »
We were at Bryce Canyon once many years ago to ride horses into the canyon. The wrangler rode up on a mule and started asking everyone what they wanted to ride. All the women wanted horses…I saw the wrangler ride up on a mule so I told him that I wanted a mule….he smiled and winked at me! I had myself a trouble free, smooth ride that day! 😁

:)  Very cool story!
Fred Moyer

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2022, 08:30:06 AM »
 She’s (wife) getting wound up again. She found a horse  (Rockin’ J Performance horses) from Kennewick. I’ll always be broke won’t I? 😂

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2022, 08:50:07 AM »
 :chuckle: :chuckle:
Fred Moyer

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2022, 09:18:28 AM »
She’s (wife) getting wound up again. She found a horse  (Rockin’ J Performance horses) from Kennewick. I’ll always be broke won’t I? 😂

Yes...but it'll be worth it! Remember the sound wisdom: happy wife = happy life  :chuckle:
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2022, 09:25:33 AM »
Let's put it this way, you'll never have enough money to develop a drug habit. :dunno:

There's lots of good advice in here I'm not going to repeat. What I will add is that you should show up early, way early, when you go to look at an animal. You want to see how much of a pain it's going to be to catch the short eared ditch hopper whenever you want to go for a ride.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]