collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Should I manage the pregnancy or outsource it?  (Read 9721 times)

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
Re: Should I manage the pregnancy or outsource it?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2022, 08:39:01 PM »
No reason to laugh a fellow member had a legit question
Not laughing at him....maybe re-read my post :dunno:

It made me laugh, too.......and I had no idea what he was talking about..............
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2022, 08:44:05 PM »
If there are 2 recognized varieties of something, then there are 2 recognized varieties. Not 17. Kinda like the silver labs. Silver labs aren’t chocolates. They’re silver. Not a recognized color.

I’ll stick to breeding stuff I can eat.

It is the “Recognized by whom” that make the difference.

If you are the one eating them, only your standards matters!

Had to laugh.....”out source a pregnancy”?  Maybe I missed something?  Do people do that with dogs? 
My wife is pregnant with number 10, sometimes I wanna out source her.....just a joke!  Well maybe when she’s grumpy.

Ok that is funny as hell!

I use to get $1000 every time I studded my white Siberian Husky male. We had a great working relationship. He made me $4k a month, and I made him………uhem, a happy camper!
 :chuckle:
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2022, 08:48:51 PM »
I'm also convinced these puppy mills bonk undesirable pups, that's not in me to do..

The only thing "undesirable" for a puppy mill would be a visible deformity, probably not much bonking going on.  :dunno:

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2022, 08:52:52 PM »
I'm also convinced these puppy mills bonk undesirable pups, that's not in me to do..

What do legitimate upstanding breeders do with undesirable pups? Pups that don’t meet the breed standards?

Highly unlikely to occur with an upstanding breeder, so the question is probably moot. We had a runt in one litter, half the size of the other puppies at birth, and born not breathing. I spent almost an hour resuscitating the little guy. He ended up, according to the person who got him knowing full disclosure of his history, being "the smartest pup/dog he had ever worked with.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2022, 08:57:36 PM »
My female chessie has papers like that, non-registered to be bred. While I understand it , I was sold a $1000. dog and told this later. I feel I got taken and I told the breeder that. I was told that if I gave my pup all these tests she would sign off on the papers. Id never heard of doing business like that and would prolly never paid that kind of money had I known. The dog now is 6 years old with no problems and I may breed her to my male . I just want hunting dogs and papers don't make them that. There both good hunting dogs so my chances are there. 

I think sometimes the idea behind that is that they weren’t health screened or they have known health issues and they don’t want to propagate that, which makes sense to me. No sense in reproducing potential or known health issues.  Eyes and hip and elbow certifications are not the same as papers like AKC pedigree papers.

That's impossible to know for 2 years, which is the min age for some of these screens.  If the litter is a bad genetic pairing it'll be too late by then, and they shouldn't be doing repeat pairings anyway having learned of it.

imo - litter restrictions are meant to put increased value on prized dogs and create a finite quantity.   It's more about $$ than increasing the quality.

We sell our puppies with "Limited" AKC registration. It is NOT to increase value. The purpose is, at least for us, to make sure that people that get a puppy from us and want to breed do their due diligence (joint testing, eyes, heart) at two years before being able to breed as AKC. We change to full AKC at no extra charge (though I know some breeders charge a fee) when proof of health testing and a performance title are shown to us. For breeders that we know and trust, we sell full AKC to start with.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2022, 09:07:56 PM »
My female chessie has papers like that, non-registered to be bred. While I understand it , I was sold a $1000. dog and told this later. I feel I got taken and I told the breeder that. I was told that if I gave my pup all these tests she would sign off on the papers. Id never heard of doing business like that and would prolly never paid that kind of money had I known. The dog now is 6 years old with no problems and I may breed her to my male . I just want hunting dogs and papers don't make them that. There both good hunting dogs so my chances are there. 

This is a common practice by most REPUTABLE breeders, it is our (reputable breeders) only way to help prevent future abuse of "our" puppies by backyard breeders. I will say, you should have been informed of this up front. The only thing needing testing on our last litter of pups would be joints, eyes and heart as ALL of our puppies were clear by parentage for genetic anomalies commonly tested for.

Some reputable breeders will up the price for full registration, we do not. Silly thing to whine about though when one puppy easily covers the upcost when you breed. It helps weed out the folks that want to breed because it seems like it would be "fun" or they just want their kids to see the "miracle of life". Breeders have very little ability to have any say in how the puppies that they have put their time, money, and love into are used in the future, this is one small bit.

Offline callturner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
    • n/a
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2022, 06:37:41 AM »
I have seen the full and partial registration papers advertised and totally understand. When I picked up the pup at 7 weeks I was told the puppy papers were not back yet. Then when i received them  and brought up the unchecked box the breeder said "oh I'll fix that for you".  Life happens and several months later when asked she layed the testing news on me. While I just purchased a hunting dog, the news shocked me to say the least. Nothing was said up front and full price was paid. I have never bred bird dogs and never wanted to. While papers don't mean that much to me It was part of the deal . I found out later from other REPUTABLE breeders that she does that on occasion. As it turned out the dog worked out fine and is a good hunting dog. If I decide to breed her it will be without papers. Im not a dog jockey so anything sold or given away will be with that being said, "no papers". My dogs are known to perform , I do not field trial.

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2022, 09:27:18 AM »
Master Hunter. Just work with your vet. They will help you .

So, here's the thing....  my vet has repeatedly tried to "warn me of the risks" of breeding. Breeding does not conform to the vets POV, so I've rotated around inside the same clinic.

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2022, 09:38:46 AM »
The hardest thing we have dealt with breeding is the lack of appetite getting into the pregnancy. We have had to get creative, rotate foods every couple of days, add flavor supplements, etc. If you have time ahead of breeding, feel free to pre load some calories. You don't want them fat, but increasing food by 10 or 20% might be helpful to give a little cushion. Be sure to talk to your vet ahead of time, some have no clue, it seems, about breeding/pregnancy issues.

Hopefully you have done your due diligence with orthopedic, eye, heart, and other genetic testing and that the male's owner has done the same thing. There is absolutely no excuse for breeding dogs with poor genetics even if they are the best hunting dog in the world... someone will pay for it, eventually.  :twocents:

Yes, all tests have long been done w/ good marks & passes. My dog and the sire are all set.

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2022, 09:50:34 AM »
Had to laugh.....”out source a pregnancy”?  Maybe I missed something?  Do people do that with dogs? 
My wife is pregnant with number 10, sometimes I wanna out source her.....just a joke!  Well maybe when she’s grumpy.

We have bred our golden several times.  She has every possible test there is...very expensive too.  So we had to ask more to recoup our cost.  Most good breeders I know don’t have a litter until they are sold, or there is enough interest.  We usually have our litters spoken for beforehand.  Never have been stuck with one.  Seems like some of the puppy markets are slowing down a bit.

It's funny, don't worry! I'd been planning to do it myself all along... not knowing, what I don't know. I'm single, work a lot but my lab is with me all the time. As I was talking to my trainer he thought it was unusual for ME to keep my dam throughout. He suggested sending her to a woman who used to breed and now is just a friend of his kennel. For a fee, she manages as much as I'd like. It feels so impersonal to me but I want to make sure my dog and her pups get premium nutrition and a clean environment.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2022, 09:56:35 AM »
Not a bad idea....

Have her baby sit the dog numerous times well in advance to ease separation anxiety if you choose this route.  If the dog is happy to see her when you drop her off, that's a good sign. 

If you have to peel the dog out of the truck, not so much..

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2022, 04:46:30 PM »

What do legitimate upstanding breeders do with undesirable pups? Pups that don’t meet the breed standards?

Those become pets, just great pets.

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2022, 04:48:58 PM »
Well, I decided to go manage this myself. Now y'all have done it!  :IBCOOL:

Nelli is having a week of debauchery and 'flag-waving', we'll see if she'll stand for him. Fingers crossed!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2022, 02:01:39 PM »
Updates?

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2022, 09:33:19 AM »
Updates?

Sorry for the radio silence, I missed Nelli's' window by a day or two, she never hooked up with the stud; tail wagging and flirted a lot, just never hooked up. She probably doesn't know what 'hooking up' looks like living with me nowadays lol  :bash:

The millisecond she shows sign, off she goes for another attempt. Probably next month or June.

I opted for Embark genetic testing... kinda pricey but it was easy enough. Swab the mouth, wait, results are published to the web.  For those interested Nelli's results: http://embk.me/superbenelli

« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 11:22:41 AM by Netminder01 »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand