collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turkey Calling  (Read 3423 times)

Offline cpawlowski19

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Turkey Calling
« on: January 22, 2022, 01:08:47 PM »
Is it better to be moderately proficient at a variety of different calls (box, slate and diaphragm) or very proficient at just one? And if only one which would you suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Turkey Calling
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 01:38:33 PM »
I have always preferred diaphragm as it frees up your hands.  However, I always carry a slate call as I am more proficient at certain calls with it when needed.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 02:24:43 PM »
I am pretty good with most calls.  I do us a diaphram call the most.  I am pretty loud but can do medium and soft calls with it.  I carry all calls in my vest be ause I usually have someone out that is new to turkey huniting.  I am able to show how different calls work and sound.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline cpawlowski19

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 02:48:34 PM »
One concern that I have is that with the diaphragm I produce a lot of saliva and don’t feel really comfortable with it in. Should I even continue to stress about it or just get really proficient with a slate call?

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 08:36:05 AM »
I don't use a diaphragm call when hunting. my go to is a couple slates, a magnetic box call, and a push/pull call by Primos for finishing the birds with very low movement.
I didn't use the diaphragm before because it didn't work great with Copenhagen in my lip, but that's a gone habit now, so I may try again this spring.

I wouldn't stress to much over it myself if you can figure a way to run other calls without moving much to finish birds.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 08:47:00 AM »
Yeah don't worry about the saliva.  If a diaphram call doesn't fit well you can trim the tape.  Just take  a little at a time it will nake a difference.  Slate calls are nice but when you have a turkey in range you have to be still.  Hard to do yhose other calls without movement.  A push pull mounted in your gun with a string to your finger would be good.  I always tell everyone a turkeys sight is their number one sense.  They see in color to so if a turkey is near and you don't see him they most likely see you.  Bio from NWTF told me their eye sight is about like us reading a book 100 yards away.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 12:25:47 PM »
I don't use a diaphragm call when hunting. my go to is a couple slates, a magnetic box call, and a push/pull call by Primos for finishing the birds with very low movement.
I didn't use the diaphragm before because it didn't work great with Copenhagen in my lip, but that's a gone habit now, so I may try again this spring.

I wouldn't stress to much over it myself if you can figure a way to run other calls without moving much to finish birds.

Curious, what model of Primus push/pull call do you have? And is it mounted to your shotgun with a pull cord? Are you able to get the same variety of calls as with a slate call? I've often thought they would be interesting to try. I use two pot calls (slate & glass) and a box call. This past year I bought a couple of diaphragm calls that I haven't learned to use yet, but I'm working with them.

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 04:11:32 PM »

Curious, what model of Primus push/pull call do you have? And is it mounted to your shotgun with a pull cord? Are you able to get the same variety of calls as with a slate call? I've often thought they would be interesting to try. I use two pot calls (slate & glass) and a box call. This past year I bought a couple of diaphragm calls that I haven't learned to use yet, but I'm working with them.

I use the bombshell. Pretty easy call to run. Its not real great when attached to my bow, works awesome attached to a shotgun, but most the time I am calling for others so its loose in my hands. I like the volume of it for when the birds get up close, and can make random small noises I have heard turkeys make when there are a few together, super soft short purrs, clucks that are very quite and fast etc. I like that its basically just a single finger moving about 1/2" while calling with it, so very easy to keep that hidden behind my legs if I'm out in the open, or behind the blind wall if I'm in one of my blinds.

I thought it was gimmicky at first, especially the tuner portion of it, but I've grown to really like it. I like it enough that I drove into town mid day during a hunt to replace the original one that I lost on a hike out 2 years ago.

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 11:00:49 AM »

I use the bombshell. Pretty easy call to run. Its not real great when attached to my bow, works awesome attached to a shotgun, but most the time I am calling for others so its loose in my hands. I like the volume of it for when the birds get up close, and can make random small noises I have heard turkeys make when there are a few together, super soft short purrs, clucks that are very quite and fast etc. I like that its basically just a single finger moving about 1/2" while calling with it, so very easy to keep that hidden behind my legs if I'm out in the open, or behind the blind wall if I'm in one of my blinds.

I thought it was gimmicky at first, especially the tuner portion of it, but I've grown to really like it. I like it enough that I drove into town mid day during a hunt to replace the original one that I lost on a hike out 2 years ago.

Thank you. I see that it's not available any longer from Primos, some others are still carrying it. Looks like it's a good call. I appreciate your info.

Offline brokentrail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 11:15:11 AM »
Imo, it is fine to be proficient in just one style of calls, although having multiples of those calls you are proficient with, that have different tonal qualities, will be beneficial for you.  Some days they just like one frequency vs. another.

With that said, and while I use diaphragms almost exclusively, your setup on the bird is far more important than the style of call you are running.  If your setup is correct and once you can see the bird he is within the kill range, it won't matter if you used a slate or box call with a little movement as you should now be shooting and not calling.  YMMV.

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 10:22:54 AM »
Box call, slate call and a mouth call I call do without a diaphragm is all I have ever used. I have killed a turkey or two every year since I was 16(39 now).

For a beginner it's hard to beat a push pin call and a box call.
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline cpawlowski19

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 10:31:38 AM »
Thank you for all of the responses and advice. I’ll keep working on the mouth calls but won’t sweat it too much if I can’t get comfortable with it. I’m pretty decent with a slate call - so I’ll focus most of my call practice on that.

On another note - do you ever go out pre-season and practice calling birds in or only during season so as not to make them wary?

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 10:34:24 AM »
I don't pre season call. Not only would it be a pretty good drive for me to get where turkeys are, but I don't want to educate them before season or mess up a youth hunt.

Offline cpawlowski19

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 05:51:35 PM »
I don't pre season call. Not only would it be a pretty good drive for me to get where turkeys are, but I don't want to educate them before season or mess up a youth hunt.
Where I live there’s a public but non-huntable natural area that has birds so I was thinking of trying it out there

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 08:37:20 AM »
Where I live there’s a public but non-huntable natural area that has birds so I was thinking of trying it out there

I totally agree I would not go out and educate those turkeys. I would go  on youtube and find videos on sounds. You do not need  to be proficient.  I was on a guided hunt and let the guide call but he noticed I had calls and he said feel free to call so I started and he said that your pretty good.  We were hunting wheat fields near Davenport and got over one gully and we both let out a couple yelps and got a response but it sounded like it was a turkey getting choked out.  We assumed it was another hunter.  Met up with the other guide in the area and he said no one was down in the area.  Turkeys don't always make the same noise so don't feel that you have to be 100% championship caller with a diaphragm. Biggest thing is use that mouth call  as a finisher when the bird is in close and you don't want to move around alot.  All you need to do is make a noise.  A lot of time a tom come in and if your using decoys he will be strutting.  What you trying to do is get him to pick his head up to you have a clean shot and to stop him from moving.  Just like deer hunting and you make a grunt to get him to stop.
Russell McDonald

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal