collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Custom, or higher end turkey calls?  (Read 2765 times)

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
Custom, or higher end turkey calls?
« on: January 24, 2022, 03:04:41 PM »

Thinking I might want to replace one of my pot calls this year with something new. My vest if full of primos and other standard supermarket type calls as of now. They seem to work, but I would like to investigate something a little bit higher end.

Are there any localish call makers that stand out offering glass over slate turkey pots? I see that phelps has some that are meat-eater branded, don't look terrible but want to see other options before I drop any coin.
Thinking my budget will be 60-120$ or so for one.

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Custom, or higher end turkey calls?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 04:02:48 PM »
Check out Rowden Game Calls. He's local to Washington and I've loved my pot call from him. I believe he does most any combination calling surface / inner and, at least when I got mine, I got to pick which blank I wanted it made from or request something custom for a little bit more $$. He responds quickly on facebook or instagram.

https://www.facebook.com/Rowdengamecalls/
https://www.instagram.com/stan.rowden/

Here's a link to the post he made with my call. Lots of others to scroll through to check out his work.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-YBSXUput0/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 05:09:46 PM »
I’ve bought a few pot calls from The100road off this site. He makes some nice looking calls.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 05:39:05 PM »
I’ve bought a few pot calls from The100road off this site. He makes some nice looking calls.

He makes some beautiful calls.
The kind you'd want to pass down to your kids.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 06:01:16 PM »
Browns Brothers out of Oregon.  I know a few people that make some awesome looking box calls.  I actually have a orginal probably a test demo Howard House call on my shelf.  I am heading to Nashville on the 15th.  NWTF national convention.  Going to be some awesome calls there. 

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 06:41:22 PM »

Does he advertise on the forum ?
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline Sneaky

• Savage
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 06:44:31 PM »
John sinclair custom calls...best there is end of story.

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 10:20:04 AM »
To those who use custom or high end calls: can you honestly say that these calls bring in any more toms than if you were using inexpensive Primos calls? Not trying to be argumentative here, I use cheap calls but I'm always looking for an edge. I'm frugal out of necessity but I've thought strongly of buying a more expensive pot call. I currently use a Primos Ole Betsy slate call and a Lil Deuce glass pot, and a discontinued Primos Wetbox box call. I carry all three on me when I hunt and all three have brought in birds. Last summer I bought two beginner diaphragm calls from Phelps, but I have yet to master them.

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 12:30:53 PM »
I guess if you have the extra money and want to buy an expensive call, you should do it. As far as the quality of the call getting you more birds, I'm skeptical.  If you are around turkeys much, you'll find that, like people, they all have different voices.  I've heard hens that I at first thought was someone with a really bad call only to find out it was a live one with a bad voice. When and how to use your call, in my opinion, is way more important than the sound of the call. I've taken a bird or two every year for the last 25+ years and used everything from cheap box calls to very good slate calls. Personally think you're better off spending that extra money on gas for scouting and locating birds to actually call.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 01:05:55 PM »

Does he advertise on the forum ?

@The100road

Pretty sure he's advertised them here.

Also pretty sure he posted some beautiful pics of some on the "Woodworkers Unite" thread.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Sneaky

• Savage
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 02:02:02 PM »
To those who use custom or high end calls: can you honestly say that these calls bring in any more toms than if you were using inexpensive Primos calls? Not trying to be argumentative here, I use cheap calls but I'm always looking for an edge. I'm frugal out of necessity but I've thought strongly of buying a more expensive pot call. I currently use a Primos Ole Betsy slate call and a Lil Deuce glass pot, and a discontinued Primos Wetbox box call. I carry all three on me when I hunt and all three have brought in birds. Last summer I bought two beginner diaphragm calls from Phelps, but I have yet to master them.

The answer is absolutely yes if you have one that is loud enough and realistic that you know how to operate. The same holds true with duck, goose, and elk calls. The ability to be louder and being more real will always give you an edge in my opinion. Its not to say that the cheaper end calls don't work...there are just things that work better.

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 04:01:13 PM »

The answer is absolutely yes if you have one that is loud enough and realistic that you know how to operate. The same holds true with duck, goose, and elk calls. The ability to be louder and being more real will always give you an edge in my opinion. Its not to say that the cheaper end calls don't work...there are just things that work better.

Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts.

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 05:49:12 PM »
You absolutely can’t go wrong with Rowden’s calls! They are a simply amazing. Sound good and look beautiful.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2022, 09:59:50 AM »
so i am not an expert but i will say from experience that my "el cheapo" calls have worked great. Saying this, i to decided to step up the quality of my box and pot calls last off season. I have ties back east and purchased a David Halloran custom box and a Mark Cornelius glass pot call. Again, most higher end stuff is wonderful. These two are in NY state and deep in the "scene" back east for turkeys. With out a doubt the box sounds true! I also picked up a modern trumpet from Joe Slaton down in CA just because it was made by Joe!

There are a lot of options for sure again, most work great but if you want some "history" with your calls , i know Matt Van Cise is building calls (for instance) as well and other National Champion callers. Some of the old time godfathers have years of wait listings for some of these calls!!! Though i would be hard pressed to even drag something like that in the woods, more a museum or mantle piece! really its your decision as i said to start with, not unhappy with my cheap stuff just wanted some higher end items to have as i can afford.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 10:05:54 AM by birddogdad »
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2022, 12:49:27 PM »
I made the jump a few years back.  I will second David Halloran's box calls, I've got a Walnut/Butternut Short box that I love and i have pulled birds a long way with it.  As far as custom pot calls I have a favorite in Lights Out game calls.  They are beautiful and hand tuned with custom strikers.  I also have a variety of strikers as I have learned different birds have different temperaments.  Some want more rasp/low and slow others like a high piercing ring/at high speed.  Changing the wood type can alter the tones enough to elicit a response, plus if everyone is running the same sounding call as I have realized some birds just come in because they are curious or the new sound.  That being said the old Heartbreaker that I started with was a great call, then my dad stepped on it, can't believe the price on some of those nowadays.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]