collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2022 Coyotes  (Read 29242 times)

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
2022 Coyotes
« on: January 24, 2022, 05:57:15 PM »
Starting the season off right. Hit a spot and heard a couple shots and after dark noticed a spotlight. Thinking that someone put the hurting on the coyotes in the area but stuck with it. Came back on a second trip. Spotted one about 80 yards out in the timber. Layed prone. 80 yard shot. Absolutely perfect. 22-250 with 52 grain FB Varmit Bergers. Dropped where he stood. Wish I would have taken field photos. But all good.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
Re: 2022 Coyotes
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 11:47:46 AM »
Congrats!  What's that green stuff?   :)
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 11:52:02 AM »
 :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 12:00:28 PM »
Congrats!  What's that green stuff?   :)

That's the yard being on the westside. No snow like the eastside folks.Lol shoulda skinned him in the field. Instead carried that joker out. Although I wish I was hunting the snow. But when our big push hit it went from zero to two plus feet. Then straight back to zero. Little much for me to be blazin in so waited till it cleared. But January seems to be my most productive month every year for yotes.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 10:17:02 AM »
I'm just a little jealous right now.  :)
Fred Moyer

Offline HillHound

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 10:19:49 AM »
I found a fresh cougar kill The other day and decided to sit on it for a while. Didn’t see anything so I started calling. No cougar but I ended up shooting this guy at 10 yards. Didn’t even know what hit him

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2022, 11:11:45 AM »
For some reason the little buggers have smartened up around here.  They ain't coming in like the used to.  Granted I'm on Whidbey Island and have to use a .22 or a shotgun, so we have to get them pretty close.

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 11:24:16 AM »
Big ‘22 dog.   Shot 5 on that trip.  They were all skittish.   Dumb ones are dead, I think.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 11:49:44 AM »
Nice!
Fred Moyer

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 12:39:01 PM »
Another westside yote down. First light caught a glimps of movement along the ravine. Brought up the binos. Realized I was looking at a bobcat. It took off into the brush. But not in a way that it had seen me. Sat out the spot waiting for it to reapear. Within 20 minutes out popped a coyote back in the timber a ways. Had an opportunity at a chest shot at 90 yards. Waited for it to come into a better opening and turn broadside. As there were some twigs along the way and didn't want to risk my opportunity. Well as it turns out the yote turned and walked away and out of sight. Shortly after a second yote came to the same spot and held up this time I took the shot. Yote dropped and went tumbling so put an insurance shot into it. I believe the yotes are what made the bobcat leave the spot. So coyote count is building on the 2022 count. Hoping to find the other critters on the next outings.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 11:46:12 AM by duckmen1 »

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 04:11:46 PM »
Had a load worked up for my buddy to use in the .243. Max load 55 gr. Nosler shots bullets. Had him go back to the spot thinking there was one more possibly in the area. Sure enough I got word coyote down first thing in the morning. Not the last one in the area either. He said there is another. So 3rd one down in the spot. One more to go. Until another one appears. :chuckle: think the 243 was a little over kill. Westside coyote numbers seem to be high right now. 

Offline Threewolves

• Longhunter
  • USA (R)
  • Groups: VFW, NRA
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 06:51:57 PM »
Had a load worked up for my buddy to use in the .243. Max load 55 gr. Nosler shots bullets. Had him go back to the spot thinking there was one more possibly in the area. Sure enough I got word coyote down first thing in the morning. Not the last one in the area either. He said there is another. So 3rd one down in the spot. One more to go. Until another one appears. :chuckle: think the 243 was a little over kill. Westside coyote numbers seem to be high right now.

Nice, you say a little over kill? naw, the skin is still there! just needs a lot of sewing. I remember the term "Killed it a lot deader than it needed to be. 243 can be tuff. Like in your other post I use a 250 with 52 grn hornaday BTHPM, usually less that an inch on exit, easy to sew. I shot my first Bob going way at about 20 feet with 300 WM 180 grn, back of the head, out through the face, it was a little ruff. Same round on a coyote at 292 (I would like to brag and say 300 yard, but that wasn't the case) dead center  lung broad side zipped straight through, about as much a the 250.
There are only so many sunrises left.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2022, 08:21:50 PM »
This was a quick weekend hunt. But ended up being an amazing dream hunt for coyotes. Seen 15 total between 2 of us. Spot and stalk, calling, etc. Everything came together. Amazing pelts. Shot at 6. Smoked every one of them. Few other close opportunities. Kept things exciting the whole trip. Could'nt have been any better.

Offline CasterlyRock

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2022, 11:25:11 PM »
Anyone have any tips for getting them in a woodlot? I've never had to hunt / de-predate them before.

I can't get them to come in close enough when I'm calling, but they come back at night to snoop around and mid-day to take my livestock when I'm not looking.

Using the Icotec GC230 with the decoy, Ambush brand coyote lure. Being as careful as I can about scent, camo, and positioning. Still nothing despite having them around all day. Been calling them in the morning and evening one hour before until around dark.

Welcome any advice!

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2022, 01:47:21 AM »
Anyone have any tips for getting them in a woodlot? I've never had to hunt / de-predate them before.

I can't get them to come in close enough when I'm calling, but they come back at night to snoop around and mid-day to take my livestock when I'm not looking.

Using the Icotec GC230 with the decoy, Ambush brand coyote lure. Being as careful as I can about scent, camo, and positioning. Still nothing despite having them around all day. Been calling them in the morning and evening one hour before until around dark.

Welcome any advice!

Put out a bait pile and put a cell camera on it. So you know when there on the bait and whack them.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter