collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Comment on HB 1718 bill to outlaw fur farms  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
Comment on HB 1718 bill to outlaw fur farms
« on: January 12, 2022, 12:37:13 AM »
If you remember HB 1718 made its appearance last year. It had a bunch of stuff about COVID and disease prevention in it but the main goal was to put all fur farms and fur production out of business in WA. It has been rewritten and the bill is now an in-your-face attempt to outlaw fur farms and fur production. While fur production does not include trapping, it would put anyone out of business that uses our furs. You want to have something made out of your furs or even a hair on product it would be illegal.
I listened to the hearing today on TVW. Representative Walen, one of the sponsors of the bill, made her pitch for the bill. Her arguments for seemed to consist of, this is a small industry and only 5 farms will be put out of business and all the production is exported so we should get rid of it. I guess it is alright to put someone out of business if it is a small business. Normally I would think a business that benefits our balance of trade through export would be a good thing but I guess Representative Walen thinks otherwise.
Chairman Chapman seems to pulling out all stops to sneak this bill through. We can stop this however by letting them know how bad this bill is. All we need is one Democrat vote with the Republicans on the Committee to kill it. Representative Debra Lekanoff is probably the Democrat we can most count on. I’m not sure how the other Democrats on the committee might stand but most are likely against us on this. I will note Representative Kolba (D) mentioned at the hearing she had a brother who used to trap so maybe she might listen also.
We need respectful comments on this bill. Remember, we are letting them know how bad this bill is, not alienating them with disrespectful comments. Just let them know, this is bad for small businesses. If we put mink ranchers and furriers out of business for no good reason, who is next?
You can comment on the bill at https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/bill/1718 and feel free to contact these Committee members with your comments:
Rep. Tom Dent https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/memberEmail/13/1
Rep. Mark Klicker https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/memberEmail/16/1
Rep. Shelly Kloba https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/memberEmail/1/2
Rep. Joel Kretz https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/memberEmail/7/2
Rep. Debra Lekanoff https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/memberEmail/40/1
Rep. Joel McEntire https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/memberEmail/19/2
Rep. Ed Orcutt https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/memberEmail/20/2
Rep. Joe Schmick https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/memberEmail/9/2

Text of bill https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2021-22/Pdf/Bills/House%20Bills/1718.pdf?q=20220111231816

« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 12:49:25 AM by Humptulips »
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
Re: Comment on HB 1718 bill to outlaw fur farms
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 02:26:14 PM »
I've noticed in writing to these Legislators if you use the hot links you are very limited in the length of your comments. You can send them a longer correspondence if you type their e-mail address directly in instead of using the hot link.
Here's a list of their e-mail addresses:
 Rep. Tom Dent   tom.dent@leg.wa.gov
Rep. Mark Klicker  mark.klicker@leg.wa.gov
Rep. Shelly Kloba  Brian.Haifley@leg,wa,gov  (this is Rep. Kloba's legislative assistant)
Rep. Joel Kretz  joel.kretz@leg.wa.gov
Rep. Debra Lekanoff  debra.lekanoff@leg.wa.gov
Rep. Joel McEntire  joel.mcentire@leg.wa.gov
Rep. Ed Orcutt  ed.orcutt@leg.wa.gov
Rep. Mark Schmick  mark.schmick@leg.wa.gov

I wrote a letter to them. While it is probably not great to copy it, feel free to use the points in my letter.

I am writing to urge you to vote no on HB 1718. This bill if passed would outlaw fur farms and the production of fur products in WA. I wonder why the Legislature would think it is OK to eliminate these small businesses. I listened to Representative Walen give her pitch for the bill and her main point seemed to be there are only 5 farms we would putting out of business and their output is all for export anyway. If that is the criteria, how many other businesses in WA are small potatoes and should be eliminated? What small farm will she next deem unworthy? The State should be encouraging small farms and businesses instead of squashing them out of existence. The fact that their products are exported contributing to the States balance of trade seems like a good thing so her logic mystifies me.
Then we come to the ban on fur production. Furriers are admittedly few in WA but why put them out of business? Why squash small locally owned businesses?
There are about 800 trappers in WA. Local furriers are an important outlet for our furs. The fact is a fur sold locally and manufactured locally keeps dollars and jobs in WA. The alternative will be to send all of this work out of WA. Many trappers and sportsmen have fur garments made locally out of their catch. I have a beautiful otter hat made locally and am in the process of having a jacket made out of a couple of bear hides I have taken. Again being made locally. The Washington State Trappers Association has a fur garment made locally for Miss Rodeo WA every year. I would not want to see the local furrier I work with forced out of business.
I am no dummy. I know this bill is to further an animal rights agenda. It is not really about cruelty to animals unless you think the use of animal products is cruel. Think about that the next time you lace up your leather shoes or bite into that burger. Fur farms are no less worthy of existence then your local rancher or dairy farm. The hide from a cow made into a jacket or shoes seems a small degree of difference from a mink jacket or fur slippers. This bill is the wedge in the door. What small farm or manufacturer will be next deemed unworthy of existence?
Please say no to this agenda and vote no on HB1718

Bruce Vandervort

Offline Mt.Beaver

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: WSTA, NRA,
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 07:13:33 PM »
Thank you for the notification and warning,  Your letter is right on the mark and will be a big help in framing my own reply. Trappers time to protect our heritage.  Take the time to have your voices heard.  Plese write a note to these legislators.

Offline Katalla

• Tracker
  • WSTA, NTA
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 08:37:39 AM »
Sent my comments to all legislators on the list. I also, sent a personal note to Rep. Kloba regarding the life lessons my son has learned for trapping and spending time at the rendezvous.

Thanks Bruce for keeping a watchful eye on the legislature!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 09:18:11 AM »
Here is the reply I got from Keith Wagoneer when I sent in my opposition.

Keith,

Good morning and thank you for your email. Please know that I engaged Representative Walen on this bill last year and told her I was opposed to it and I continue to stand against it. You should also be aware of a similar effort in the Senate. SB 5708 also seeks to end the “unlawful trade of fur products” but the intent language is inflammatory at best. You can read the bill here: https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2021-22/Pdf/Bills/Senate%20Bills/5708.pdf?q=20220112083131

Kind regards, Keith Wagoneer
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 09:24:14 AM »
Any idea why it is asking me to verify my district and address?  I am not in Washington anymore but would like to comment.

Offline blackdog

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Advocate ..
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 09:34:08 AM »
See the above post by Humptulips. Send emails to (first name.second name)@leg.wa.gov for House members.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 11:17:14 AM »
Just thought I would let you know barring something extraordinary this bill and its companion bill in the Senate are dead. I suspect we will see similar bills in the future but for now nothing hanging over us.
Thank you to all that sent in comments.

Just want to add how important Washingtonians for Wildlife and the Hunters Heritage Council are in fighting these bills. Pleased support them.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline johnbmyersii

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: BHA
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2022, 11:18:35 AM »
Just thought I would let you know barring something extraordinary this bill and its companion bill in the Senate are dead. I suspect we will see similar bills in the future but for now nothing hanging over us.
Thank you to all that sent in comments.

great news!

Offline Katalla

• Tracker
  • WSTA, NTA
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2022, 07:07:29 PM »
Thanks Bruce

Offline KNOPHISH