collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: HB 2110 Would Require a Minimum of 25% of WDFW Officers for Marine Enforcement  (Read 2233 times)

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
HB 2110 Sponsored by Reps Walsh (R) and McEntire (R) would require that at least 25% of WDFW field officer positions be dedicated solely towards marine (saltwater) enforcement issues.

According to the bill "there has been a noticeable erosion of the department of fish and wildlife's marine law enforcement function, including a decline of fish and wildlife officer presence on marine waters, providing adequate services and resources to the regulated community, maintaining orderly fisheries, and providing a focus on sensitive living marine resources."

https://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=2110&Year=2021&Initiative=False

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
We haven't been checked out on the water for anything in 15 years I'm guessing.  We spend 40+ days out on the water just in the summer alone every year.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
Water encompasses less than 10% of our state and they want 25% of the enforcement? That would really hurt the land enforcement that already suffers, IMO

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Water encompasses less than 10% of our state and they want 25% of the enforcement? That would really hurt the land enforcement that already suffers, IMO

Yeah, let’s target sportsmen with a barb that isn’t quite pinched all the way,
 during obvious hours to maximize ticket revenue, rather than address real issues! :chuckle:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline HooknoseHunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
Unless they plan on moving officers from eastern Wa to accomplish their 25% coastal water goal I’d rather they just cut 25% of the force completely.
Western Washington is a *censored*hole country

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
Seems like protection of fish and wildlife is simply not growing in proportion to the human population of the state.  We as sportsmen need to demand that the allocation keep  pace with need in this regard. Why does it have to be a zero-sum game between marine resources and terrestrial? Both are important to most of us, even if we don't all go fish or hunt one side or other.

Offline Practical Approach

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
I don't think one could argue that there is a lack of enforcement presence on the water, however that could also be said for land as well.  To take from one to increase the other makes no sense when enforcement is lacking on both land and water in many areas. 

Offline Alan K

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
I remember watching WDFWs TV show and thinking they sure spend a lot of time in town rather than in the woods/on the water... I wonder if the lack of enforcement presence felt out in the woods and on the water is all of the 'regular' police work they focus on instead (doubtful its by the officers choice).  This was quite a while ago, so maybe things have changed since all of the anti-police policies our government has put in place and the vaccine mandates.  It feels like they're alright at responding to certain fish/wildlife calls but there isn't a whole lot of proactive work being done anymore. Dedicating them solely to fish/wildlife issues would go much further towards protecting the resources than what's proposed I'd think.

I was invited halibut fishing one time and we were way the heck offshore out of LaPush and we got checked clear out there. Good guys. They checked licenses, our catch, and that we had the descent devices for returning bottom fish. Have also seen them at the docks at Westport coming back in salmon fishing (no, not just the fish checker).  I guess where I'm going with those is that I sure see them on marine related stuff more often than I bump into them in the woods already.  :dunno:

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
I think they feel ‘land based’ will not be necessary, because as the homeless, oops, I meant ‘residential’ campers, move into more areas, and their amazing ability to self regulate and obey the rules, officers will have all the ‘community’ assistance necessary to regulate and maintain wildlife.
Yup.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC
I've been fishing in the saltwater and west side rivers for 30+ years, and have been hunting all over the state for 40+ years.

I've been checked once in the woods while elk hunting, compared to at least 2 dozen times on the saltwater and on the rivers.

The state's money maker is fines for sportfishing and shellfishing on the west side

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
They should split the enforcement duties again...

Marine violations occur on probably a twenty to one ratio... just a guess. So I can see the desire to get more focused on it . And enforcement is easier..fish in a barrel sometimes.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer

The state's money maker is fines for sportfishing and shellfishing on the west side
Fines for fishing and hunting violations go to the county not the state.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
I haven't spent much time on the salt but I have the opposite experience. In 3 years I've been checked twice hunting. Once during spring turkey, once during modern deer. Maybe just a factor of being in a popular area during popular seasons. Haven't been checked on any fresh water yet.

Now that I say that, I'm sure I'll get a visit this summer  :chuckle:

Offline GASoline71

• Longhunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/gary.strassburg.7?ref=bookmarks
  • Groups: Conservation Coalition of Washington, ABF WA Chapter, F4WM, WWC

Fines for fishing and hunting violations go to the county not the state.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I didn't know that.  Learned something new today. :)

Gary
One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job. ~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]