collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New bow thoughts  (Read 5689 times)

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
New bow thoughts
« on: February 09, 2022, 03:28:41 PM »
I am planning on selling my bow here soon and buying a full new set up. I want to shoot a handful of different bows to test them out but just seeing if anyone has bought anything recently that they really like? I am looking for something that is forgiving with a nice, smooth draw and solid back wall. My previous bows were never fully set up piece by piece as I bought them as packages. This go around I want to do it right and get it dialed in exactly for me.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline phildobaggins

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • big buck big buck big buck
  • Groups: RMEF, MDF
Re: New bow thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 04:32:09 PM »
Smooth draw and solid backwall?

Xpedition...  :yike:

Go see Todd West in Fancher Heights at Big River Archery, he is an Xpedition and PSE dealer. Great guy. I got a 2020 Xpedition MX-16 from him and it's so smooth and I love the back wall feel on it. Fast enough, all things considered. I've got a 29.5" draw, 65# limbs and clocked 297 FPS on a chrono last summer with about a 350gr arrow.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 04:43:13 PM »

Go see Todd West in Fancher Heights at Big River Archery, he is an Xpedition and PSE dealer. Great guy. I got a 2020 Xpedition MX-16 from him and it's so smooth and I love the back wall feel on it. Fast enough, all things considered. I've got a 29.5" draw, 65# limbs and clocked 297 FPS on a chrono last summer with about a 350gr arrow.

cool I will look him up. I currently shoot a pse bow madness epix.

I like a solid back wall as I feel like it helps me when I get target panic

Offline phildobaggins

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 04:48:19 PM »

cool I will look him up. I currently shoot a pse bow madness epix.

I like a solid back wall as I feel like it helps me when I get target panic

Sounds good, if you haven't shot an Xpedition, they really do have fantastic draws and back walls. They get a lot of crud over their claimed IBO but, we can all see through the marketing. They feel really nice and are affordable.

Shoot me a message if you want his cell, he doesn't really market his business as it's his hobby business. He is a biologist with an addiction to archery and hunting  :tup:

I'm going to start going to NCW Gun Club on Tuesday nights for an indoor archery shoot. I'm happy to meet you in person and let you try my MX16 if you want to give it a go. Todd has a few bows in stock but you won't be able to shoot the whole line up, probably.

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 05:34:50 PM »
This last summer I bought a Bowtech carbon Zion. I love it. It’s forgiving & a sweet shooting bowl
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 06:04:48 PM by follow maggie »

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 05:40:37 PM »
Step away from the fan crowd mister, step up to a ……https://dartonarchery.com/
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline PacificNWhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 08:58:34 PM »
If you can try and shoot a bunch of bows before you decide. I’d find a shop you like vs. just searching out a particular brand too. Looking for a certain brace height, string angle or speed may narrow your brand choices down for you. All the bows now are pretty darn good, but cams and bows will feel different user to user just on poundage and draw length alone. Cams have their sweet spots so what feels good to me based on my draw may not feel good to you. I have had 3 bows, never the same brand because I just get what feels best to me at the time and has the features I want.

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2022, 07:37:58 AM »
I just went through the process of trying a bunch of bows. After missing a bull last year when he dropped and spun around (wouldn’t have believed it if my son hadn’t filmed it and we watched in slomo), I vowed to find a quieter bow. Upon landing a new job, I decided to do something I rarely do, spend top $ for the best. Shot the following flagship bows: Bowtech, Prime, Expedition, PSE (not the carbon Levitate), passed on Hoyt due to reading about past problems others experienced. Also passed on the new Matthews due to the proprietary design of their ‘22 bows (requiring their $200 quiver!) though ironically I still dropped that sum on a tight spot 🤣. I thought the Matthews would have been a strong contender based on many of the reviews I read regarding its shooting performance but the proprietary thing stuck in my mind…in hindsight I would encourage anybody shopping to put that on the back burner and just shoot one to judge against the rest.
They all were ver smooth draws, a pleasure to shoot and it came down to personal preference on how the back wall felt, the grip designs (& ability to modify the grip) and it’s overall feel when shooting.
I did my research over several weeks. Brought my old bow in to shoot first as a reference point. Then returned several times to repeat the process. After making my decision I didn’t skimp or try to shop the components mounted to it.
Shout out to the guys at Archery World in Portland for their help and patience and ultimately to Denton @ Rock Creek Archery in Tukwila who set up my bow.
I’m sure I could have saved money and through patient and careful shopping, found a year or 2-3 flagship bow at a fraction of the cost.  But I’m happy with my choice.
Good luck shopping!
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 08:34:57 AM »
I just went through the process of trying a bunch of bows. After missing a bull last year when he dropped and spun around (wouldn’t have believed it if my son hadn’t filmed it and we watched in slomo), I vowed to find a quieter bow. Upon landing a new job, I decided to do something I rarely do, spend top $ for the best. Shot the following flagship bows: Bowtech, Prime, Expedition, PSE (not the carbon Levitate), passed on Hoyt due to reading about past problems others experienced. Also passed on the new Matthews due to the proprietary design of their ‘22 bows (requiring their $200 quiver!) though ironically I still dropped that sum on a tight spot 🤣. I thought the Matthews would have been a strong contender based on many of the reviews I read regarding its shooting performance but the proprietary thing stuck in my mind…in hindsight I would encourage anybody shopping to put that on the back burner and just shoot one to judge against the rest.
They all were ver smooth draws, a pleasure to shoot and it came down to personal preference on how the back wall felt, the grip designs (& ability to modify the grip) and it’s overall feel when shooting.
I did my research over several weeks. Brought my old bow in to shoot first as a reference point. Then returned several times to repeat the process. After making my decision I didn’t skimp or try to shop the components mounted to it.
Shout out to the guys at Archery World in Portland for their help and patience and ultimately to Denton @ Rock Creek Archery in Tukwila who set up my bow.
I’m sure I could have saved money and through patient and careful shopping, found a year or 2-3 flagship bow at a fraction of the cost.  But I’m happy with my choice.
Good luck shopping!

So what bow did you end up going with?
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2022, 08:36:32 AM »

Those Xpedition bows are nice!
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline phildobaggins

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2022, 08:59:21 AM »

Those Xpedition bows are nice!

YES. Very underrated bows in my opinion. I feel like they're the red-headed step child of the bow hunting world every since they showed up at Sportsman's Warehouse stores :dunno:

There are "nicer" bows out there, but you'll certainly pay a lot more! They're so smooth, fast, come with GAS strings out of the box, super adjustable. The people that hate them are the dudes who J.O. to Cam Hanes.  ;)

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2022, 09:01:49 AM »
thank you for the feedback guys. I plan to start shopping and shooting some bows here in the next few weeks. I will keep you posted on how it goes

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2022, 09:12:30 AM »
Prime.
Solid backwall
New technology with the inline is sweet
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2022, 09:24:10 AM »
Just shoot them all and see what you like. %95 have pretty smooth draws these days. For solid back walls just check to make sure the bows you're interested in use limb stops on the cams. the squishy feeling usually comes from cams that use string stops instead. Shoot all the usual suspects as far as brands go and don't over look Prime archery either. I haven't shot their newest bows, but they've had some really pleasant ones in the past.

Like others have said, Xpedition makes some pretty sweet bows. My main bow is one of their 2016 Perfexions and I don't see that changing in the near future. The long ATA, lightweight, and solid backwall make it a very comfortable bow for me to shoot.   

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2022, 10:27:59 AM »
Prime.
Solid backwall
New technology with the inline is sweet
I believe they also provide new strings every two years (free!)
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2022, 10:32:41 AM »
Good luck shopping!

PSE Evo xf33 ( with the so called comfort cam) MBG ascent verdict sight, Ripcord Max rest and Tightspots adjustable quiver. Haven’t decided on the stabilizer setup yet. Likely go with the conquest system.
― Groucho Marx

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2022, 10:49:14 AM »
No Mathews?  I been out of loop on new tech but I still love my ol Mathews.   :dunno:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2022, 10:53:44 AM »
A few of my Mathews buddies have switched to PSE lately. I always swore I'd never shoot one but I may have to go check them out if they've gotten as good as I hear..

Offline PacificNWhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2022, 11:08:10 AM »
Good luck shopping!

PSE Evo xf33 ( with the so called comfort cam) MBG ascent verdict sight, Ripcord Max rest and Tightspots adjustable quiver. Haven’t decided on the stabilizer setup yet. Likely go with the conquest system.

Solid choice. I have the EVL 34 with almost the same set up. They shoot awesome.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2022, 01:22:21 PM »
My Matthews Halon 32 is the first top-of-the-line bow I've owned, so I don't know much about higher end bows. I've shot a few others. The Hoyt Carbon RX-7 was incredible but the price tag was way over my limits. I'm so impressed with my Halon. It shoots flat and fast, fairly quiet, solid back wall. I love it.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2022, 11:01:58 PM »
IMO, it depends alot on what YOU want in a "hunting" bow. I like good string angle, longer ATA if possible, history of reliability, and quiet solid quivers that attach to bow. I have had 3 TS and cannot like them. But lots of guys will have different wants and scenarios that need different style setups.

All of the major brands shoot well on the shot, and draw cycles are easy to get used to. Not alot of bows come with limb stops anymore as co centric, and binary systems offer very solid walls along with generally very good nock travel at perfect time.

Mathews and Hoyt have a decided edge in hunting packages IMO. Both offer good options for BH and ATA, reasonable speed, Reliable, quiet, and well built. 2 piece, quiet and low profile quivers, in line sight bracketing, integrated rest options, all combined with typically less stabilizer needed to make a well balanced system. The other manufactures need to take notes. Down sides: mathews stock grip sucks, hoyt is refining the new binary system, and prepare to spend dollars for all the upgrades.

Bowtech is flat lying about speed this year and not the little white lies all the manufactures use to advertise. Lack of grip options is a bit frustrating. Binary system is easy to tune, and Tuning them is very easy for an in home tinkerer as no press needed for cam adjustment, draw cyes do vary widely depending on model,  dl, and setup. But on the shot and backwall are consistent.
 Decent setup options,  but no two piece options for quiver or inline sighting. I tend to find them more difficult to balance overall.

PSE: best aiming bow, very comfy valley and backwall, good speed advertising. Good factory threads and finishes improve every year. Be prepared to tune with an arrow. Adjustments require lots of steps, and replacing cam spacers requires the entire bow be decompressed.  Easily has most out of box mistakes from factory. A shop should catch them but not always.

Prime: most improved. Excellent aiming, good shot feel.

Prime, PSE, and  bowtech all have similar setup options for quivers, sights etc....

Darton and expedition, I shot both, both shot great and have similar fit and finish. I preffered
the darton.  nether really offer setup options that I am looking for. Namely quiet quivers, ability to balance easily, and grip options to get maximum forgiveness.

Offline Dukalr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: DU
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2022, 05:45:53 AM »
Vote for the new Mathews here.  I purchased a V3 last summer from Lucky Shot Archery in Chehalis and couldn’t be happier.  Awesome shooting bow, smooth cycle and good back wall.  This thing shoots bullets! Got a new Spot Hogg sight and I’m shooting tighter groups and farther distance than ever.  Hands down a phenomenal bow!

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2022, 06:48:36 AM »
I am for sure excited to shoot different bows to see which one  scratches what itches. It will be my first time building a bow from scratch which hopefully along with consistent shooting like I normally do all spring and summer will increase my proficiency at the longer yardages. It won’t matter when I kill my bull this fall at 12 yards but it will be nice knowing I could have smoked him earlier.  :chuckle:

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2022, 07:08:47 AM »
I am for sure excited to shoot different bows to see which one  scratches what itches. It will be my first time building a bow from scratch which hopefully along with consistent shooting like I normally do all spring and summer will increase my proficiency at the longer yardages. It won’t matter when I kill my bull this fall at 12 yards but it will be nice knowing I could have smoked him earlier.  :chuckle:

Or put him down at 80 with a second shot!😜
― Groucho Marx

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2022, 07:29:12 AM »

Or put him down at 80 with a second shot!😜

Truth. Anchor him out there so he doesn’t go father into the canyon. Good thinking!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10