collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1x scopes/red dots  (Read 18124 times)

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
1x scopes/red dots
« on: February 16, 2022, 07:12:08 PM »
Are 1x scopes a dead issue this year?

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Re: 1x scopes/red dots
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 07:18:09 PM »
No, there are a lot comments for them this year, not many against.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 09:44:41 PM »
Already in the pproposal.  And allow crossbow during muzzleloader season.  Dropped it from archery.   :bash:  Another issue to be divided on.   :dunno:
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 09:50:55 PM »
BS if they are allowed

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 10:17:04 PM »
 :peep:
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 10:28:11 PM »
BS if they are allowed

Can’t wait!  Have scope ready to go!  300 yds here I come!

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 10:30:07 PM »
BS if they are allowed

I don't care one way or another, but why are you calling BS? Are you a traditional hunter that only uses iron sights? IMHO there is no difference between a 1x or red dot scope versus a William's peep or the globe sights that have crosshairs. Once peeps and fiber optics were allowed, I think it created an advantage for many muzzy hunters. It increased how far many can shoot, especially in low light or the dark timber.  :twocents:
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022, 01:24:37 AM »
thats BS also if you dont think theres a advantage to a 1x versus a peep sight! I used a custom dot Vortex on a UT hunt and it was by far and away easier to aim at longer distances, by far more accurate and easier to see in low light. Then add in a rangefinder put a turret on it and and eliminate any holdover and can I could shoot 300 yards at a elk easily.

everyone wants everything easier. Use a rifle if you want scopes and longer shots. Next thing you know we will be UT or NM with 700 yard muzzleloaders completely defeating the purpose and reason of muzzy seasons.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 04:38:35 AM by huntnnw »

Offline raydog

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 06:09:50 AM »
thats BS also if you dont think theres a advantage to a 1x versus a peep sight! I used a custom dot Vortex on a UT hunt and it was by far and away easier to aim at longer distances, by far more accurate and easier to see in low light. Then add in a rangefinder put a turret on it and and eliminate any holdover and can I could shoot 300 yards at a elk easily.

everyone wants everything easier. Use a rifle if you want scopes and longer shots. Next thing you know we will be UT or NM with 700 yard muzzleloaders completely defeating the purpose and reason of muzzy seasons.

:yeah:

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022, 06:12:56 AM »
Ive never messed with a 1x scope but have been doing some reading. Several guys removed their 1x scope, some mid season because the field of view and low light view being greatly diminished.

I guess I need to take a look through 1.

I think I may actually be more intrigued by a red dot. No experience with them either. Wonder if the dot get huge when looking at something at distance? Or are they adjustable in size?

Any feed back?

Offline raydog

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2022, 06:16:47 AM »
Ive never messed with a 1x scope but have been doing some reading. Several guys removed their 1x scope, some mid season because the field of view and low light view being greatly diminished.

I think I may actually be more intrigued by a red dot. No experience with them either. Wonder if the dot get huge when looking at something at distance? Or are they adjustable in size?

Any feed back?

The ones I looked at come in various moa sizes

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2022, 06:59:43 AM »

Any feed back?

when I was prepping for my UT hunt red dots were on my radar, the only problem then was a dot small enough that it didnt look like a big fiber optic covering half the deer. Maybe thats gotten better now. A gun builder had a brand new vortex made just for UT legal and let me use it. The dot in it was precise , clear and tiny! no obstruction of target at all. I coulda shot even further with a turret 350 wasnt even outta the question. I killed my deer at 227 yards with it longer than I woulda ever shot with my peep.

I could see through that scope in lower light further than a peep at much closer distance due to eye focusing though small peep.

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2022, 07:00:38 AM »

Any feed back?

I have a Leupold red dot scope with a 1 MOA dot.  That is 1" at 100 yards.  My fiber optic front site covers about 1 foot at 100 yards

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2022, 07:12:51 AM »

Can you please point me in the direction of a 1x scope with repeatable / reliable turrets....asking for a friend.   :rolleyes:

I have two 1x scopes that were almost impossible to find....almost as hard as finding Varget during the pandemic.  I have shot a muzzleloader with one of these scopes and they are no better than my williams peep set up.  I can tell you this.....The crosshairs at 300 yards cover a deer sized animal vitals.  People shooting 300 yards with these scopes are doing the same as when they had peeps / open sights.....putting lead in the air so they have a prayer.  Now at 100 yards and even 150 yards....they do help with clarity and accuracy.  But I see that as a good thing.  I can shoot 200 yards with my peep and I would suffice to say that will be my max with one of my scopes.  I don't see it changing much in our state as far as harvest numbers.  I do however see a bunch of people complain about this while using 4-32 nighforce scopes that help then snipe deer at 1500 yards.   :dunno:

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2022, 07:32:42 AM »

Any feed back?

I have a Leupold red dot scope with a 1 MOA dot.  That is 1" at 100 yards.  My fiber optic front site covers about 1 foot at 100 yards

Get a smaller fiber optics pin for your front site.  :twocents:
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]