collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1x scopes/red dots  (Read 18148 times)

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
Re: 1x scopes/red dots
« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2022, 04:24:05 PM »
"than shooting a gun on a video game which is probably the only gun you have ever shot." Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You come on a 'Hunting' forum and state this?
Yeah, ether you got an 'early start to the evening' or you are looking for an argument by making statements like that.
Disagreeing is one thing, disparaging is something else.
Oh wait! My turn!
"Jump off the keyboard, go upstairs, and help your Mother with the dishes!"
 :IBCOOL: :hello: :chuckle:
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2022, 05:24:57 PM »
Folks...the vote wasnt even close and wdfw staff pushed it hard.  There will be no 1x scopes for muzzy seasons now or a decade from now. Fortunately, for those who really want to use 1x scopes...have at it in the modern firearm season...nothing stopping you from using a 1x, red dot or variable power scope on a muzzy in those seasons.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2022, 05:28:20 PM »
"than shooting a gun on a video game which is probably the only gun you have ever shot." Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You come on a 'Hunting' forum and state this?
Yeah, ether you got an 'early start to the evening' or you are looking for an argument by making statements like that.
Disagreeing is one thing, disparaging is something else.
Oh wait! My turn!
"Jump off the keyboard, go upstairs, and help your Mother with the dishes!"
 :IBCOOL: :hello: :chuckle:
I have been on this hunting forum for a very long time. Just get tired of all the misinformation spread by people who dont know what they are talking about. I will say it again, if you think that a scope does not add an advantage to a muzzleloader, you are wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline Jimmy33

• Longhunter
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2022, 05:32:16 PM »
I am really surprised that there are people that still think that people are dumb enough to believe that scopes, regardless of magnification, don’t greatly increase accuracy. Please take the time to do research and not just be an internet/web expert. Ask Utah residents what they think of scopes on muzzleloaders. You guys who think scopes on muzzy’s are ok need to do your homework and actually shoot a gun with a scope on it and one without. It will take you 5 minutes to realize that it is a huge advantage and that its way different than shooting a gun on a video game which is probably the only gun you have ever shot.

Nice job with the name calling.  :tup:
No one is calling anyone names. Someone is just pointing out that scopes are an advantage, and people who think they aren’t an advantage are just not very experienced in shooting with and without them or are mad because they got voted down again.

"Dumb" enough....LOL  "Inexperienced"...LOL 

You are killing me.  I'm neither and would put my shooting skills against most on this site.  I've got more money in optics today than most will have in their lifetime.  I also shoot and collect a lot of lever guns with open sites.  I own multiple 1x scopes and have shot with them as well as with peep sites and can definitively say that a 1x scope does not extend a guys effective range.  Are they clearer...yes, but isn't that the point?  Could they make a guy more accurate within their effective range.....yes, but isn't that the point?  Will they turn a muzzleloader into a "single shot rifle", as asserted in an earlier post....isn't that basically what a muzzleloader is anyway?? 

What a 1x scope will not do....It will not turn a muzzleloader into an effective long range firearm.  It will not increase harvest numbers overall.  It will not take away the ability to not use a 1x if you choose to roll old school.  It will not take away birthdays and it will not make you any less of a man for choosing not to use one. 

Now....to your point about being "mad" for being "voted down".....LOL  Again...you killing me smalls!!!  I primarily hunt with archery for deer and elk.  My secondary is rifle.  I do enjoy shooting and hunting with muzzy's but to make the assertion I am mad because I got voted down is not accurate.  You sir are showing your true colors by name calling and make assertions that are factually inaccurate.   

I like others on this site believe that 1x scopes can be a good adjunct to muzzleloader hunters.  It can help with people that don't see as well and can't focus on the front and rear site like they used to.  It assist in making more accurate shots on game within an effective range, leading to less lost or wounded game.  It can be another tool in the tool box for those who wish to use it.....and if you don't want to, that would be ok as well.  See....Where we differ if I don't believe my way is the only way.  I believe that tools are tools and some may want to use them, why some choose not to....and I'm ok with that.  You sir love to impose your will on others and then call them dumb for having a differing opinion. 

Lastly....If I thought a 1x scope would significantly increase harvest numbers, I would be against it.  I am against variable power scope on muzzy's for the sole reason it does provide an advantage beyond what I believe (my opinion) to be reasonable for a primitive weapon season and could turn certain muzzy's in to long(er) range killers.
Still not sure where the name calling accusation comes in…anyways, i can’t understand how someone with your so called experience can honestly say that a scope doesn’t add to the advantage of a muzzleloader. Im sorry if I and others disagree. When you make a statement like that, your experience doesnt mean much to me.

“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.

Offline Jimmy33

• Longhunter
« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2022, 05:35:50 PM »
Folks...the vote wasnt even close and wdfw staff pushed it hard.  There will be no 1x scopes for muzzy seasons now or a decade from now. Fortunately, for those who really want to use 1x scopes...have at it in the modern firearm season...nothing stopping you from using a 1x, red dot or variable power scope on a muzzy in those seasons.
Yes…that!

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2022, 05:37:35 PM »
Ok lets take a breath here.  As hunters we do not need this in fighting amongst ourselves.  Good info here.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2022, 05:46:52 PM »
I am really surprised that there are people that still think that people are dumb enough to believe that scopes, regardless of magnification, don’t greatly increase accuracy. Please take the time to do research and not just be an internet/web expert. Ask Utah residents what they think of scopes on muzzleloaders. You guys who think scopes on muzzy’s are ok need to do your homework and actually shoot a gun with a scope on it and one without. It will take you 5 minutes to realize that it is a huge advantage and that its way different than shooting a gun on a video game which is probably the only gun you have ever shot.

No one is calling anyone names. Someone is just pointing out that scopes are an advantage, and people who think they aren’t an advantage are just not very experienced in shooting with and without them or are mad because they got voted down again.

You are killing me.  I'm neither and would put my shooting skills against most on this site.  I've got more money in optics today than most will have in their lifetime.  I also shoot and collect a lot of lever guns with open sites.  I own multiple 1x scopes and have shot with them as well as with peep sites and can definitively say that a 1x scope does not extend a guys effective range.  Are they clearer...yes, but isn't that the point?  Could they make a guy more accurate within their effective range.....yes, but isn't that the point?  Will they turn a muzzleloader into a "single shot rifle", as asserted in an earlier post....isn't that basically what a muzzleloader is anyway?? 

What a 1x scope will not do....It will not turn a muzzleloader into an effective long range firearm.  It will not increase harvest numbers overall.  It will not take away the ability to not use a 1x if you choose to roll old school.  It will not take away birthdays and it will not make you any less of a man for choosing not to use one. 

Now....to your point about being "mad" for being "voted down".....LOL  Again...you killing me smalls!!!  I primarily hunt with archery for deer and elk.  My secondary is rifle.  I do enjoy shooting and hunting with muzzy's but to make the assertion I am mad because I got voted down is not accurate.  You sir are showing your true colors by name calling and make assertions that are factually inaccurate.   

I like others on this site believe that 1x scopes can be a good adjunct to muzzleloader hunters.  It can help with people that don't see as well and can't focus on the front and rear site like they used to.  It assist in making more accurate shots on game within an effective range, leading to less lost or wounded game.  It can be another tool in the tool box for those who wish to use it.....and if you don't want to, that would be ok as well.  See....Where we differ if I don't believe my way is the only way.  I believe that tools are tools and some may want to use them, why some choose not to....and I'm ok with that.  You sir love to impose your will on others and then call them dumb for having a differing opinion. 

Lastly....If I thought a 1x scope would significantly increase harvest numbers, I would be against it.  I am against variable power scope on muzzy's for the sole reason it does provide an advantage beyond what I believe (my opinion) to be reasonable for a primitive weapon season and could turn certain muzzy's in to long(er) range killers.
Still not sure where the name calling accusation comes in…anyways, i can’t understand how someone with your so called experience can honestly say that a scope doesn’t add to the advantage of a muzzleloader. Im sorry if I and others disagree. When you make a statement like that, your experience doesnt mean much to me.

Let me help you with your reading comprehension.  I took the below bolded text directly out of my post.  Clearly there is an advantage....posted below....but will it change overall harvest numbers....NO.  I took another portion of my post to help you further...it is posted below the "Advantage" and is labeled "What a 1x scope will not do." 

ADVANTAGE:

Are they clearer...yes, but isn't that the point?  Could they make a guy more accurate within their effective range.....yes, but isn't that the point?  Will they turn a muzzleloader into a "single shot rifle", as asserted in an earlier post....isn't that basically what a muzzleloader is anyway??

WHAT A 1X SCOPE WILL NOT DO:

If you are willing to prove me wrong....Please show me a three hundred yard target with a 1x scope mounted to a Washington state legal Muzzy.  Hell, show me your group at 200 yards.  Prove me wrong.   

Offline Jimmy33

• Longhunter
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2022, 05:56:47 PM »

Let me help you with your reading comprehension.  I took the below bolded text directly out of my post.  Clearly there is an advantage....posted below....but will it change overall harvest numbers....NO.  I took another portion of my post to help you further...it is posted below the "Advantage" and is labeled "What a 1x scope will not do." 

ADVANTAGE:

Are they clearer...yes, but isn't that the point?  Could they make a guy more accurate within their effective range.....yes, but isn't that the point?  Will they turn a muzzleloader into a "single shot rifle", as asserted in an earlier post....isn't that basically what a muzzleloader is anyway??

WHAT A 1X SCOPE WILL NOT DO:

If you are willing to prove me wrong....Please show me a three hundred yard target with a 1x scope mounted to a Washington state legal Muzzy.  Hell, show me your group at 200 yards.  Prove me wrong.
We are going to have to agree to disagree. Ive lost interest in this argument as we are just going around in circles. The last things I will say is that it will increase harvest because it is clearer, it helps pinpoint accuracy, and, from my experience, my groups were much better with a 1 power scope than with a peep-therefore, in my opinion, it offers an advantage and so much of one that I am glad it did not pass. In no way am I saying that it is a long range weapon. But there is a big difference between 175 yards and 100. Happy hunting!

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2022, 06:24:30 PM »
Well this is a major bummer. I had my eyes on this puppy on GB!  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal