Community > Youth Board

Some help as to legal stuff of owning a gun as a youth and driving


Brady Phillips:
Ok so this isn't exactly hunting but figured someone on here might be able to help. So this summer ill get my drivers license and I'm wondering if ill (legally) be able to drive to my shotgun club?

I'm trying to do some  research but i cannot find much of anything at all about driving with my shotgun. Would be nice once i have my license to drive to my shotgunning club to shoot clays every Saturday but my concern is i cant "transport" my gun due to the fact that its technically not mine for another 2 and a half years.

That also bring up the second half of if i can even be using it without my dad, the legal owner of the gun, there with me.

Just trying to follow the laws so i dont loose anything and dont want to get caught with a gun if im not supposed to have one.

Sorry for the kinda confusing post but in simple, can a minor drive with a firearm (shotgun) by themselves and use the gun.

Ok thanks in advance and hopefully someone has an idea as to answer my question.

I would say it is legal.

RCW 9.41.042
Children—Permissible firearm possession.
RCW 9.41.040(2)(a)(vi) shall not apply to any person under the age of eighteen years who is:
(1) In attendance at a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course;
(2) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located or any other area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited;
(3) Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group that uses firearms as a part of the performance;
(4) Hunting or trapping under a valid license issued to the person under Title 77 RCW;
(5) In an area where the discharge of a firearm is permitted, is not trespassing, and the person either: (a) Is at least fourteen years of age, has been issued a hunter safety certificate, and is using a lawful firearm other than a pistol; or (b) is under the supervision of a parent, guardian, or other adult approved for the purpose by the parent or guardian;
(6) Traveling with any unloaded firearm in the person's possession to or from any activity described in subsection (1), (2), (3), (4), or (5) of this section;
(7) On real property under the control of his or her parent, other relative, or legal guardian and who has the permission of the parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm;
(8) At his or her residence and who, with the permission of his or her parent or legal guardian, possesses a firearm for the purpose of exercising the rights specified in RCW 9A.16.020(3); or
(9) Is a member of the armed forces of the United States, national guard, or organized reserves, when on duty.

Also, as far as transfer of the firearm.
You can transfer from family member to family member without completing any paperwork.


--- Quote from: ASHQUACK on February 18, 2022, 09:42:01 PM ---Also, as far as transfer of the firearm.
You can transfer from family member to family member without completing any paperwork.

--- End quote ---
Believe this has to be a direct line.  Father to son, etc…not valid for husband to wife, to a cousin an uncle etc…


[0] Message Index

Go to full version