collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Transport of meat from AZ  (Read 3566 times)

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
Transport of meat from AZ
« on: March 08, 2022, 10:19:10 AM »
Drew cow elk hunt in AZ this year. 

I am curious what methods folks have used to bring/get meat home from a hunt?  I brought a coues deer back easy on the airline since it was light.  Elk is lot of weight and airlines seem to be tight on weight restrictions?  Ideas?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
Re: Transport of meat from AZ
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 10:42:32 AM »
Drive, and bring a small freezer with you. 

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 10:55:15 AM »
See if there is an Alaska Air cargo at a nearby airport with a refrigerator or freezer, both the drop off and destination. They will keep it in whichever you ask them too until it flies and until you pick it up at the destination. Other airlines have similar air cargo deals as well.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 01:13:23 PM »
See if there is an Alaska Air cargo at a nearby airport with a refrigerator or freezer, both the drop off and destination. They will keep it in whichever you ask them too until it flies and until you pick it up at the destination. Other airlines have similar air cargo deals as well.
Def a option, but have to be a "known shipper" with tsa thru them for that.  However, it is very economical option and appears my work is one so def an possible!

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 01:39:34 PM »
I have a place way down south and family in the Phoenix area :)  I can get you access to "store" your meat there where I can eat it, I mean store it.

but seriously the cargo option with Alaska is what I would do if I needed to fly the meat.
Unless there was 2 or more of you flying down and you were just worried about the meat.  Southwest will let you check 2 bags free at 50lbs and under.  That is enough for a cow Elk boned out

Guessing you are hunting with friends or family because flying down leaves you renting to hunt, in which case I would just drive down there with coolers or a freezer.

In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 01:50:15 PM »
Load two large coolers in that big rig of yours, get the meat processed/frozen down there, pack it in said coolers and head back home.  Its a hike down there I know, you may want to hang a chunk or two of dry ice in the coolers above the meat. 

Oh, congrats on the tag. 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 02:33:18 PM »

I have a place way down south and family in the Phoenix area :)  I can get you access to "store" your meat there where I can eat it, I mean store it.

but seriously the cargo option with Alaska is what I would do if I needed to fly the meat.
Unless there was 2 or more of you flying down and you were just worried about the meat.  Southwest will let you check 2 bags free at 50lbs and under.  That is enough for a cow Elk boned out

Guessing you are hunting with friends or family because flying down leaves you renting to hunt, in which case I would just drive down there with coolers or a freezer.

Rest of family lives out near unit we are hunting.  Only I am flying.  One bag taken up by rifle case. This is a Dec cow hunt, meaning I need cold weather gear which is more than fit in carry on(kuiu 3500) which means second bag.  Southwest will not take reservations past 1st week of Sept.  Slackers.

Cow elk should be more than 100# boned out?  My small wa bull was 240+ after full processing. 

I am pretty decided in Alaska cargo, seriously great deal all the way around.  Thanks for the tip folks!!

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 03:43:18 PM »

Rest of family lives out near unit we are hunting.  Only I am flying.  One bag taken up by rifle case. This is a Dec cow hunt, meaning I need cold weather gear which is more than fit in carry on(kuiu 3500) which means second bag.  Southwest will not take reservations past 1st week of Sept.  Slackers.

Cow elk should be more than 100# boned out?  My small wa bull was 240+ after full processing. 

I am pretty decided in Alaska cargo, seriously great deal all the way around.  Thanks for the tip folks!!

If you are the only one flying then Cargo is your best bet  :tup: , I was thinking if 2 were flying you might be able to pull it off but would be tight, and you would need things frozen before you leave.

Driving is not a terrible option just made the run last weekend in 2 days. With one person it is cheaper to fly with 2 it starts to even out driving versus flying depending on deals you get.

Hope you get one down.
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 07:32:14 PM »
Def a option, but have to be a "known shipper" with tsa thru them for that.  However, it is very economical option and appears my work is one so def an possible!

Don't need to be a known shipper if you book it on a freighter, FYI.  Only if it flies on a passenger flight.   

I don't know if there is cooler or freezer storage at your nearest AK Air serviced airport in AZ, or if they run a cargo flight out of there.  Would be worth a call though, I think.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 08:13:59 PM »
I did some rough estimating with the alaska cargo sight and am getting $150-180 total for priority shipment and that is grossly overestimating the meat I will bring back, probably almost double.  With that sort of cost I will Def be going aircargo route.  And my work is a known shipper, so I can use their account.

Driving is just a non option, fuel will be over $430 each way alone, plus hotel.  Plus 2 looong days down, 2 long days back ontop of over a week off from work.  Versus $90 round trip via southwest, (<$200 for others as well) plus $150 aircargo for the meat.  Plus I get to sit back in seat with a drink and let someone else drive..

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 09:29:17 PM »
I advise all my hunters to save money by taking their meat home on the plane with them rather than trying to ship it. You can usually take extra baggage for about $75 per cooler, check with your airline for the specifics.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline dvolmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2022, 11:50:58 PM »
Donate the meat and buy a 100 pounds of T-Bones and Ribeye’s when you get home. Cost will be about the same.  Or drive down and bring it back in coolers or freezer. But that might cost more also if gas is $5-$7 a gallon by then. 😳
Zonk Volmer

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2022, 11:55:08 PM »
same way we do Caribou from Alaska.  Debone it. Into fish boxes. Dry ice in it for the trip home. Take it as checked baggage and pay the extra fees.

Offline haftard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 01:20:22 AM »
Brought an axis deer back from Texas. Big yeti cooler and a little bit of ice. Every time we stoped for gas we would drain the water out of the cooler. Only needed like 2 bags of ice for the whole 29 hour drive. If your going to fly tho get it flash frozen at a butcher shop.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2022, 07:20:47 AM »
I advise all my hunters to save money by taking their meat home on the plane with them rather than trying to ship it. You can usually take extra baggage for about $75 per cooler, check with your airline for the specifics.
I would much rather have it fly with me, but it seems very cost prohibitive. 

Airlines were showing me $150+ per cooler due to size and weight restrictions  Base bags are $30+ plus dimension and weight penalties..  Alaska air cargo priority is $180 total for TWO 40*20*20 coolers each weighing 150#.

I will check airline again just in case.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2022, 07:26:03 AM »

That's what I would do.  If you are traveling in a group it's less costly as you can split up the bags.  You can also work credit cards, frequent flier benefits, etc. to get some of them free. 

One time I shipped my clothes home to save a checked bag, it's fairly cheap compared to the third bag cost.

Finally, if you can get it through security, you are usually pretty good to go.  Even if you have too much to carry on, they usually let you check something for free or ask for volunteers to check stuff for free due to limited overhead space.

Cargo is a good option, but not available for many.  I would 200% make sure you are good to go as there are rules, times, paperwork, etc and you could easily be stuck without a plan B.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2022, 07:34:00 AM »
One time I shipped my clothes home to save a checked bag, it's fairly cheap compared to the third bag cost.

:yeah: Shipping clothes back by UPS is another good idea that saves.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2022, 07:42:06 AM »
So airline is $75 for extra bag under 50#.  Then if over 50# but under 100 and/or is is oversized there is another one time $75 fee.  (Can be both over 50#&oversized for one fee)

Lot will depend on just how much meat I get out of her if I get a cow down.  If it is one cooler, under 100# I will check bag it, otherwise Alaska air cargo.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2022, 08:17:58 AM »

:yeah: Shipping clothes back by UPS is another good idea that saves.
Yeah I normally ship most of my gear out a few weeks ahead of time.  I keep one set of hunt gear and pack+TSA legal equip as my carry on.  Weapon and TSA contraband as one checked bag.  That way as long as weapon makes flight I can hunt with what on my back and under my control.

Ups rates are getting spicy now.  24" square, 40# box is $90 ground to family I will hunt with.  Yikes. 

Yeah this thread is me getting plans a-d figured out with all your help and letting others also learn.

Big thank for all the ideas and options.

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2022, 02:56:25 AM »
So airline is $75 for extra bag under 50#.  Then if over 50# but under 100 and/or is is oversized there is another one time $75 fee.  (Can be both over 50#&oversized for one fee)

Lot will depend on just how much meat I get out of her if I get a cow down.  If it is one cooler, under 100# I will check bag it, otherwise Alaska air cargo.

Remember too if you fly first class you get more free checked bags. Also get another for having a Alaska air credit card

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2022, 07:17:53 AM »

Remember too if you fly first class you get more free checked bags. Also get another for having a Alaska air credit card
Great points.  Right now I am targeting southwest.  2 bags free, no 1st class.  But airfair is 1/2 everyone else.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan