collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Muzzleloader Bullets for Washington  (Read 17659 times)

Offline sixgun_symphony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA, NMLRA
Re: Muzzleloader Bullets for Washington
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2022, 04:59:02 PM »
Audacity, and again, audacity, and always audacity.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2022, 07:42:06 AM »
Haven't seen that combination in years!

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline LayMdown

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2022, 10:54:32 PM »
I just about have to put my ramrod against a tree and push the gun against it to load the Barnes TEZ'S.
Thats what I have to do to reload a Barnes for a follow up shot if needed, so I just started packing the lead powerbelts for a faster follow up shot otherwise it may or may not happen depending on if a tree is close by or not. :yeah:

Offline LayMdown

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2022, 11:03:01 PM »
I do like having the ML loaded up for the 1st shot with a 290GN Barnes for elk just for a fast follow up shot I use the old lead powerbelts I have left over from back when thats what we had to use, I would'nt recommend using powerbelts for a first shot they are to inconsistent, just easy and fast to reload because they slip in like butter.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2022, 07:50:51 AM »
I shoot barnes T-EZ bullets out of my knights and I can load probably the first 4or 5 shots with the same amount of pressure which is not difficult at all before swabbing the barrel, but I use blackhorn

Offline MerriamMagician

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Success is the only option
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2022, 10:37:16 AM »
I don't recall which member it was, but somebody on this muzzleloader thread last year said they use 350 grain Swift A-frame bullets with Harvester sabots. Those bullets were designed for big dangerous game in Africa. I took their recommendation and invested in those. My muzzy bull from this year dropped in his tracks.

I see that the Barnes 250 and 290 TEZ and TMZ bullets are getting glowing reviews on this thread. I used those bullets my first few years of muzzy hunting. I had 3 experiences where elk were shot at close range in the vitals. Of those 3 elk, only one was recovered after a extensive, painstaking search and none of them left a blood trail. The Barnes bullet we found in the bull failed to open up. I'm guessing the same thing happened on the other 2 elk. It seems most people have very good luck with these bullets, but based on my experiences, I'll never use them again.

MY  :twocents:
Gobblers only, all jakes must walk

Offline erk444

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2022, 11:04:56 AM »
Dang that's weird cuz I've gotten 5 or 6 back over the years and they've all opened perfect? Shots from 60 to 130 yards. The one on the left is a 290 gr. TEZ (60 yard deer) and the right is a TMZ from a 110 yard elk. So strange how different people have different experiences with the same bullets.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 01:05:20 PM by erk444 »

Offline sixgun_symphony

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA, NMLRA
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2022, 11:17:55 AM »
Most muzzleloaders are rifles, some are smoothbore.

The line about muzzleloader vs rifle is just ignorant. Much like the illustrators who draw complete metallic cartridges exiting a muzzle because they think the entire cartridge is a bullet.

So annoying.
Audacity, and again, audacity, and always audacity.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2022, 11:36:28 AM »
I see that the Barnes 250 and 290 TEZ and TMZ bullets are getting glowing reviews on this thread. I used those bullets my first few years of muzzy hunting. I had 3 experiences where elk were shot at close range in the vitals. Of those 3 elk, only one was recovered after a extensive, painstaking search and none of them left a blood trail. The Barnes bullet we found in the bull failed to open up. I'm guessing the same thing happened on the other 2 elk. It seems most people have very good luck with these bullets, but based on my experiences, I'll never use them again.

I'm sorry but I find this hard to even slightly believe. I don't believe you could shoot even fifty of the Barnes bullets and have more than one not open after going through an animal. The only way this would happen consistently is if your not using enough powder and not getting penetration. Even if the Barnes round hit a piece of plywood I believe it would open up.

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scout
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2022, 12:40:35 PM »
Fury universal 320 grain for CVA Accura. Bull this year tipped over about as fast as I've ever seen for any weapon. Straight pass through right where I wanted it.

Most accurate load out of my muzzleloader compared to Barnes EZ, Hornady bore drive, and harvester.

That said, finding the best bullet, grain, and load combo for your muzzy seems more important than actual bullet selection if you pick any that have been mentioned.

Offline Dark2Dark

• Hunter
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2022, 09:19:47 PM »

MY  :twocents:

I don’t get it? If you hit an elk in the vitals with a .50 caliber bullet, it should die in short order, regardless of expansion. If it doesn’t expand at all, and it’s a true vital shot, it’s likely a complete pass through and it has a half inch hole through both sides and everything in between.

High hits will never bleed much, regardless of bullet or expansion.

How much powder are you trying to push them with?

I’ve been around for ten animals getting shot with Barnes ML bullets. Out of those animals, 6 dropped in their tracks- two elk, six deer. I had a neck shot elk walk about 50 yards while it spurted blood all over the hillside. I had a mature mule deer make it about 100 yards when my bullet drifted in the wind that I failed to account for. It was gut shot but the bullet clearly did it’s job, I just didn’t do mine. I did have a cougar that I think I hit a little far back get away from me. I was in an area full of caves and lava tubes and shot him right at dark. I’m sure he didn’t go far and found one to die in. That was a huge bummer but I should have just hammered him in the shoulders.

These are my bullets- there are another three or four out there recovered from animals that look just like them.

Closest bull was last weekend that was inside of 15 yards. Have killed a couple animals with the 250s at around 180-190 yards.

I guess results may vary? But I was just marveling this weekend at how consistently these bullets do exactly what they are supposed to. It seems crazy that you’d be 0-3 on bullet performance.

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scout
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2022, 10:07:10 PM »
Wonder if maybe they're using the wrong bullet aligner jag and crunching down the tip? Might be my only thought to be 0-3. I wouldn't hesitate to use Barnes bullets. I do know the Barnes and other higher "BC" bullets need a special jag.

Offline Dark2Dark

• Hunter
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2022, 10:27:56 PM »
Wonder if maybe they're using the wrong bullet aligner jag and crunching down the tip? Might be my only thought to be 0-3. I wouldn't hesitate to use Barnes bullets. I do know the Barnes and other higher "BC" bullets need a special jag.
Whoops, I just jam them in there with whatever.

I’m sure I mess up the polymer tip, a little.

I do think* in a bullet that big/heavy/slow the tip is supposed to play a role in starting the bullet expansion versus helping it fly straight.

My ram rods have a bit of a depression on the end but they certainly don’t mate perfectly to the projectile like the special jags I have seen.

Offline Sneaky

• Savage
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2022, 06:14:22 AM »
Was lucky enough to get some real world experience on elk with the federal 270gr copper BOR lock. 75 yd broadside double lung shot perfect uniform expansion recovered just inside the offside hide. The bull was dead on his feet but I was able to reload and slip another one just in front of the rear hind quarter that passed through guts and hit the heart (hard quartering away shot a little over 100yds).  Assuming that bullet stopped inside the brisket as there was no exit. The bullet I did recover was similar in appearance to the barnes bullets folks are posting and had retained the plastic "ramp" on the tail end of the bullet.

Having now taken a deer and an elk with these bullets I can say I am impressed with the extreme accuracy and ease of loading. Multiple shots without cleaning are a breeze and the accuracy does not suffer out of my rifle. That being said, the lead 350gr version of this bullet came back in stock on federal's website and I am excited to try those for perhaps a bit more knockdown power while retaining the accuracy and ease of use (hopefully). The young whitetail buck I shot made it 82 yards and the bull elk a little over 100.

Offline Buster Brown

• Pilgrim
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2022, 08:51:57 PM »
Thor 250 Grn Bullet.

Not raving, or ranting, just my single experience.  I’ll keep using them, since it’s what I can get to group.  Actually going up to 300 grainers now, since they make them, so as to be viable for elk as well.

Shot a doe at 30 yards.  High double lung pass through.  .50 cal hole going in, much bigger on the exit side.  Minimal blood trail.  She went about 30 yards.

Hope that helps,

Buster

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]