Other Activities > Shed Hunting

Shed dog training?

(1/4) > >>

idaho guy:
Anybody successfully trained a real good antler dog? Working with my sons 2 yo black lab that’s been good on waterfowl. Season is over so he takes him hiking every day in mountains so it would be perfect if the dog would find and retrieve sheds. So far have just thrown sheds and had him retrieve. Main issue so far is he doesn’t always want to bring the shed back 😂  not sure where this post belongs so please move if needed. I have some freinds with “shed” dogs and they basically find the sheds themselves and then take photos of the dog with the horns ha ha. I know some people have really great shed dogs I just haven’t met any of them. Any advice is appreciated we have no idea really on proper training for sheds specifically.

highcountry_hunter:
I’ve seen those dogs online, especially down in texas, that guys train especially for shed hunting and they are amazing. No idea how they do it.
My buddy got a black lab pup and from the day he got him was giving him horns to chew on, retrieve, hiding them around the back yard and having him go get them. This dog was smart as a whip too, amazing waterfowl hunter and pheasants and could do more tricks than most circus animals.
We took that dog horn hunting with us 30+ times a year and he never once brought us a horn. One day while we were hiking along I happened to look toward the dog. The ol lab went into a little brush patch, picked up a nice 3 point whitetail shed, packed it a few strides then dropped it and continued on with his business haha. To this day we would both like to know how many horns that dog found and we never knew about.

idaho guy:

--- Quote from: highcountry_hunter on March 20, 2022, 02:23:03 PM ---I’ve seen those dogs online, especially down in texas, that guys train especially for shed hunting and they are amazing. No idea how they do it.
My buddy got a black lab pup and from the day he got him was giving him horns to chew on, retrieve, hiding them around the back yard and having him go get them. This dog was smart as a whip too, amazing waterfowl hunter and pheasants and could do more tricks than most circus animals.
We took that dog horn hunting with us 30+ times a year and he never once brought us a horn. One day while we were hiking along I happened to look toward the dog. The ol lab went into a little brush patch, picked up a nice 3 point whitetail shed, packed it a few strides then dropped it and continued on with his business haha. To this day we would both like to know how many horns that dog found and we never knew about.

--- End quote ---

:chuckle: I think that might be the challenge getting them to BRING the horn to you. Thanks for comment

phildobaggins:
Haha, I've been training my 2 yo lab to find sheds. She does great around the house and yard, but when we get in the hills, she is just glad to be outside. Every shed I find, I make her pick them up for me and bring them to me. She has yet to come out of a draw to bring me a shed on her own accord. I've also used the shed antler scent that looks like a little deodorant stick. Hasn't helped. I bring sheds with us when we head out and toss them in the bushes for her to get so she knows we're not after birds, but she still won't do the job  :lol4:

rainshadow1:
I haven’t done it myself… I keep sheds in with my puppies to condition them to horns, but as far as closing the deal in the field, I’m guessing…

But I’d GUESS that you need to stop moving. (You may already do this.) I’d suggest stop, send the dog into an area, wait, and constantly encourage with the hunt and fetch commands. (Whichever words you use.) At least for the first couple dozen scores.

I train to find and retrieve completely random objects like that. Changes the focus from the thing they’re seeking to the alpha master who is directing them. The object doesn’t matter.

(You’re going to have to be ready to lose your mind with praise and excitement when it happens!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version