collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Transporting Bird Carcasses  (Read 1227 times)

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Transporting Bird Carcasses
« on: March 29, 2022, 10:16:49 AM »
I'll be hunting merriams in Stevens County on the opener, probably the 15th through the 17th, unless I get a bird on on the first day. Then I plan to drive south to hunt rios in Asotin County for a couple of days the following week, possibly 18th, 19th & 20th. If I get a bird in Stevens County on the opener do I need to keep that carcass in "identifiable" condition with head legs attached so a WDFW enforcement officer in Asotin County portion of the trip can ID it? I'd rather process the carcass, remove the breasts and legs and keep the fan, but I want to be legal. The Stevens County portion will be on my friend's private property so I do have the option to process the bird there and stick it in a chest freezer and pick it up at a later date. I'm located in Seattle so I'd rather not be carrying around a turkey corpse in my car for multiple days.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 10:30:00 AM by salish »

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Transporting Bird Carcasses
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 11:37:28 AM »
Have to transport with a feathered head or wing attached (thought I read where you now have to leave the beard on, but can't find) . I hit a checking station few years back  and just had the breatss and legs in my cooler. Still had the fan and beard and punched tag so young warden lectured me on the rules and didn't ticket me. I was very polite and so was he pretty sure if I hadn't been cooperative or he had been in a bad mood I would have gotten a ticket

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 12:12:29 PM »
 It is illegal to possess in the field or transport game birds unless a feathered head or wing is left attached to each carcass. From turkey hunting regs https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/02306/wdfw02306.pdf Looks like they took out the up to it being processed for consumption.  I usually have the wings and feathered head but when I get back to the motel or camper I process it and put the legs things and breast meet in a zip lock and freeze it and put the wings and head in a separate bag.  I would check the emergency changes.
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 12:24:15 PM »
Got it, thanks guys. I appreciate the help.
Cliff

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal