collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Left handed shotgun people shoot right handed guns?  (Read 3651 times)

Offline tank21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Left handed shotgun people shoot right handed guns?
« on: April 06, 2022, 11:54:46 AM »
Hi everyone, my wife is a left eye dominant type and she wants to put down my right handed 870 and get a new semi-auto dedicated for herself.   She wants a pretty gun, wood stock, blued barrel and probably a pretty receiver too.  I have not found anything that seems to fit the bill in the left handed arena.  My question for you is what do all you left handed shooters use?  It is primarily for pheasants/trap but there are ducks/geese as well.  I know the O/U is the obvious choice but she really likes have 3 shells (chances).  Would like to hear what people use/settle with if they are left handed.

Thanks!

Offline philts100

• Pilgrim
Re: Left handed shotgun people shoot right handed guns?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 12:08:32 PM »
National Rifleman just put out a good article about left handers shooting right handed guns and left hand specific guns. It's worth checking out. Talks in depth about the potential dangers of a lefty shooting a right handed gun that I was unaware of. I am a lefty and started with right handed shotguns with a straight cast stock, then moved to a dedicated left hand 870. I moved to the Ithaca 37 after that because its bottom eject and lighter, but still your still stuck fighting the safety on the wrong side. I think there are quite a few new options in left hand but finding one with nice wood and a pretty receiver might be tough. If she is ok fighting the safety the Ithaca 37 is a prime choice. I will say all the lefty's that I know including myself have switched to doubles, just makes it easier.

Offline Iveexcaped3

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
    • Riverside Construction, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 12:14:56 PM »
The only one that really fits your comment is the benelli montefeltro. Witch is my next purchase. I currently run a Tristar viper g2

Offline Bareback

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 12:16:55 PM »
Not a semi, Browning BPS bottom ejects

Online rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 12:23:12 PM »
I’m left rye dominant, don’t own one left handed gun.   Never had a issue in 49 years. 

Left handed guns actually feel weird.   
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 12:45:32 PM »
For mostly upland and getting a blued/wood version.....an O/U or S/S is indeed the simplest choice for a lefty.

For a lefty semi-auto, give the left-handed Benelli Montelfreto a look.    That could be a good fit for your wife if she's OK with a 12 gauge.

I would argue the 3rd shell is a waste for many average shooters in a semi-auto.  Not saying your wife is an average shooter, so not intending to insult.  My point is with just the one choke, many times the bird is too far away by the third shot and it results in a miss or worse not enough shot in the bird to bring it down.   I'm not talking about pass shooting geese, as they're all at the same general range and there are guys that are very good at those shots.  I'm talking about upland, and by the time a person gets to the third shot on a quail or pheasant or dove that bird is usually out of reasonable range for the choke that shot is passing through.   Same on decoying ducks.   

Ever since I started hand loading TSS, I don't bother loading my 3rd shell in the semi-auto.   I pay much closer attention to what is a good shot for me, and what isn't now that I'm burning $$ with every shot.   And I found myself not firing the 3rd shot anymore, as I came to the realization it really wasn't that effective.   In fact I find myself taking my O/U with me on waterfowl hunts if I'm in a blind (it's blued/wood not camo), as I like having the two chokes.  First shot is for close decoying bird, second is for fleeing longer distance bird.   

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 01:38:56 PM »
“Three shells. Two for moving it along, one for the focused shot”
Spoken by the gun trainer that worked with my ‘lefty’ wife. She is ‘neither’ eye dominant, and he tried, unsuccessfully, to convince her to shoot right hand.
Got her a 3” mag 12 Montifeltro LH that she shot well, but she also had said it might be fun to have a ‘pretty one’, plus, she prefers O/U.
Which is why she now (for years) has a ‘stunning’ grade 6 Browning O/U (was a secret birthday present) with gold inlay, that we drove down to Oregon to the ‘Stock Doctor’ and had it fitted LH for her. Fun stuff and well worth the cost and time. Two sets of snap on butt pads for heavy or light jacket too! Neat!
We (used to) Chukar hunt, so it got some dings, but it is hers, and the dings are an ‘honest’ testament to a ‘working’ gun.
I reversed the safety to R/H (easy to do) and put ‘clamp on’ turkey sights on the LH Montifeltro for a turkey or deer gun.
I shot her LH gun and was very surprised at how much it hurt. She shot my RH ones before getting the Montifeltro and said they hurt her but she figured that was ‘just shooting’ until she got her a LH.
Get her a LH and have it fitted to her.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 03:26:57 PM »
Keep looking as there are lefties out there but expect to pay an additional $75 to $100 more than the same gun in right hand.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2022, 04:02:14 PM »
Left handed firearms make up 3% of new sales. As a r handed Peron left eye dominate shooter I can tell you that you either need to open you wallet or go for something more ambidextrous friendly. I love my side by sides and shoot a Mossberg  because the safety is up top. I hate my 870.  Several years back I missed a deal on here for a LH sbe2 because I didn't think I had the funds. I'm kicking myself now.  I would go for a double barrel if I could get away with it but the cost and availability of a synthetic parkerized sxs I in spitting distance of an auto... but the style... awesome.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Remnar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2022, 06:42:46 PM »
 How "pretty" is she thinking ?
If just classic blue and wood . A tried and true Remington 11-87 LH wouldnt be a bad choice IMHOP .

Offline ChesapeakeMan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Tracker
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 07:14:04 PM »
Syren (Fabarm) L4S Sporting left hand if it's in your budget.  I was looking at them for my daughter.  They are really nice autoloaders.  Drawbacks are price (depending on budget), it's only a 2 3/4" chamber and shortest barrel is 28".  These may or may not be deal breakers for you.

I ended up finding a 20 gauge Remington 870 lw Wingmaster for her.  I put a Heads Up Shooting Systems stock on it.  These are great  for women and kids.  They have a shortened length of pull with a nice Limbsaver pad, raised comb and the butt is canted left or right depending on handing.  These stocks are available  for 1100's and 11/87's too.  We switched to a left handed safety and added some extended Trulock chokes.  Sweet shooting gun for a lefty women or kid.

I ended up running across a left handed Benelli M2 20 gauge for a decent price.  It has the Comfort Tech stock which helped alteration.  With the right shims and adjustment plates we got it dialed in for drop and cast.  I then added the raised cheek piece to fine tune the fit.  A purple Briley charging handle and bolt release gave it a little splash of color.  Briley extended choke tubes topped it off.  This isn't blued steel and walnut but the plastic stock was much easier and cheaper to customize for proper fit.  She loves this gun.  She  shoots trap weekly with it and has no complaints.   She has shot a few ducks with it too.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 09:09:58 PM by ChesapeakeMan »

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 07:34:13 PM »
I’m left handed and shoot a right handed Winchester Model 50 Semi Auto

Offline RobinHoodlum

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 08:20:25 PM »
This may be a 'left field' suggestion, but if she's willing to consider a pump, consider looking for an older Ithaca model 37. With bottom eject and zero cast, it is equally suitable for right and left handed shooters. Very nice guns that can be had for a reasonable price. But most of the older ones are 2 3/4" guns that prefer lead shot or other 'soft metal' shot. 

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2022, 04:51:35 AM »
Just a suggestion.....
Buy a cheap eye patch on old Amazon,and start training to be a right hand shooter.
I'm left eye dominate ,when I was a kid I would take a band aid and cover up my left eye at target range practice.
Until my right eye took over the work.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline tank21

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2022, 07:26:26 AM »
Thank you for the reply's guys.  I had her read the thread last night, a lot of good info here.  Thank you.  I hadn't read them all and so also glad things didn't got off the rails too   :chuckle:

I am thinking that she might go with the O/U.  kselkhunter, you bring up really good points regarding the dual chokes.  She is right handed, and it gave her pause when I told her that reloading might be a total pain left handed.

When looking, is all fit and finish that puts you down the road?  Is there a good ol' standard 870 of the O/U world?  Really reliable, decent looking and bang for the buck really nice?  How about gold standard?  Is there a model that is the crème del a crème?   That is also around $2k?  Any hard no's because they just suck?

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2022, 07:34:25 AM »
Just go to their site and select Left Hand

https://ithacagun.com/product/right-hand-safety-all-gauges/

All Ithaca Rotoforged barrels are steel friendly.  The older open choke ones pattern great with steel.  The newer barrels are a bit heavier, but can take chokes.  Ithaca 37 was the very first steel guaranteed barrel and it takes five minutes to swap out the safety.  They have always been available. 

I use 37s in the field, but get her what she wants. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 07:40:44 AM by JDHasty »

Online MR5x5

• Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2022, 07:47:50 AM »
Not a semi, Browning BPS bottom ejects

An absolutely fantastic gun to shoot. If she can manage the 870 pump, she'll appreciate the BPS action, IMO it is much cleaner.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2022, 09:08:28 AM »
If she really wants an auto loader, check out Beretta. Berettas are gas operated and not inertia driven, my experience with both I don't have an inertia. They have much more recoil, I know the ads and shooters say no, I've dumped 5 of them due to recoil.
https://www.beretta.com/en/a400-xtreme-left-handed/
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline ChesapeakeMan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2022, 09:51:22 AM »
The 870 of the o/u world is the Browning Citori.   

Beretta is great too though.  I have a Browning Cynergy that I am very fond of also.  For what you describe I'm going Browning or Beretta.  They are bombproof. 

Offline tank21

• Tracker
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2022, 10:20:51 AM »
Excellent.  Thank you! 

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2022, 02:19:52 PM »
The 870 of the o/u world is the Browning Citori.   

Beretta is great too though.  I have a Browning Cynergy that I am very fond of also.  For what you describe I'm going Browning or Beretta.  They are bombproof.

3 of the Citori’s here, all in 16 gauge. Great guns. Just keep weeds out of the action!
 :chuckle:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 03:23:15 PM by GWP »
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline tank21

• Tracker
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2022, 03:35:38 PM »
I think we'll probably look at the Beretta's.  She isn't a fan of the Browning logo.   :) I tried to talk her out of that but then realized I don't like Mossberg's.  I'll look at the Citori!  I had a BPS10 and loved it. 

Offline ChesapeakeMan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2022, 05:14:45 PM »
Beretta makes the 693 Vittoria for women.   Might be hard to find.  A proper women's gun has entirely different stock dimensions than a men's gun.  It's probably going to take some work (ie money, time, effort) to get a gun to really fit properly.  Once you do get it right though she will shoot accurately and comfortably.  A lot of women have to "make do".  Shooting isn't  as fun as it should be.
  When mommas happy everybody's happy.

Offline ChesapeakeMan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2022, 05:26:11 PM »
I think we'll probably look at the Beretta's.  She isn't a fan of the Browning logo.   :) I tried to talk her out of that but then realized I don't like Mossberg's.  I'll look at the Citori!  I had a BPS10 and loved it.
Does she know there is a doe's head inside the bucks silhouette  of the logo??🤔

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2022, 08:43:32 PM »
I’m left rye dominant, don’t own one left handed gun.   Never had a issue in 49 years. 

Left handed guns actually feel weird.   

:yeah:

I believe it boils down to what you practice with and what you are use to, or what you are comfortable with.

If there was real science behind why left eye dominant should not shoot right hand weapons, it would have been documented years ago.

Have said that, making her comfortable while shooting is in your benefit.  :tup:

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Lumpy Taters

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2022, 01:08:19 PM »
As a left handed, left eye dominant person that shot right handed guns for years because of all the normal reasons.  If you can afford the lefty buy it.  Made the switch to left handed guns 10 years ago and I haven't turned back yet.  Yes the selection sucks sometimes but you can usually find one that works.  Buy her which ever one she likes.  Happy wife in the field with you is way better than one mad at home alone.   

Offline pbg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2022, 09:23:52 PM »
Something to think about if your considering an O/U or a bottom eject Pump Like a BPS, Unless that gun is made for a Left handed shooter the cast will be off. All shotguns are casted for right hand shooters ( most popular) unless marked LH . In other words a right hand gun wont fit right shooting left handed. They may look the same but they are not.

Offline salish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2022, 10:28:54 AM »
Something to think about if your considering an O/U or a bottom eject Pump Like a BPS, Unless that gun is made for a Left handed shooter the cast will be off. All shotguns are casted for right hand shooters ( most popular) unless marked LH . In other words a right hand gun wont fit right shooting left handed. They may look the same but they are not.

This is absolutely the critical point in my estimation. If nothing else, research and look for a shotgun that has (at least) a neutral cast. It's becoming easier to get around this issue with modern shotgun stock adjustability, but it's still an issue to think about. If you hunt with vintage shotguns like I do it's important. I am right handed but left-eye dominant and I have learned to shoot off my left should over many years, but it still doesn't "feel right" when I mount my shotgun and I know that is probably the right cast in many of my shotguns. I can make it work, but I'm still considering a stock-bending with one or more of my guns (becoming a lost art).

On the bottom ejection/side ejection issue, I have never, ever, been bothered by empty hulls being ejected across my face with my pumps or semi-autos. You face is down on your stock so you really don't seem them.

Offline steelhead59

• Tracker
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2022, 02:49:10 PM »
Ithca model 37 I gre up shooting trap with a winchester model 12 my dads friend that was a left handed shooter  made us a deal on a model 37 T ejects out the bottom he was worried because shooting reloads if something malfunctioned my dominate eye would be toast. I still have the old tusty model 37 just had to restock it cause my dad shortened it when I was 5.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal