collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Failure to manage predators  (Read 1965 times)

Offline WWC

• Strenght Through Unity-A United Sportsmens Voice
  • WWC
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/w4wc.org
    • Washingtonians for Wildlife Conservation
Failure to manage predators
« on: April 28, 2022, 04:53:03 PM »
When we were at the Bighorn Show in Spokane we heard stories like this. The one that made the biggest impression was the man that let his lab out to go to the bathroom, and a cougar under the deck killed it and hauled it up a tree. This isn't a 1 off story. This is a failure to manage predators.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/survival/mountain-lion-kills-deer-washington/?utm_campaign=trueanthem_manual&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook
"Wildlife thrives today because of regulated sport hunting, not in spite of it."

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Re: Failure to manage predators
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 05:11:21 PM »
I have numerous cats around our property year round.  I have trail cam pics to prove it. 

There are also bears everywhere.  Last year we had in the low 20's different bears on camera in the spring.  So far this year we have 4 but they just started coming out of their dens.  I'm keeping every cougar picture I get....literally every camera check, there are cougars. 

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 01:24:54 PM »
I think refusal is a better word than failure.

Offline salmosalar

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 01:48:52 PM »
The state has no interest in managing predators at this point. The perspective is clear. They see predator numbers as being determined by prey numbers. It's the rabbit and the fox scenario. If prey numbers go down, then predator numbers will. I understand the frustration. Unfortunately, frustration does not lead to an improved situation.

At the point that predator numbers are an issue that they need to be dealt with in order for people to be re-elected, they will be. It's a problem of representative democracy. It's also a problem of communication and branding to some extent. The average person does not hunt. They also don't have any issues with wolves or mountain lions or bears. Most people actually like the idea of more lions and bears, wolves etc.

To change this, the discussion has to change as to why they should be managed and the person or people doing that messaging have to be people that a large segment of the population trust and/ or have positive feelings for.

There are similar predator issues  with marine mammals fish populations in Puget Sound. Native American's are in my opinion a fantastic potential ally in lowering seal and sea lion numbers because large amounts of people give their perspective weight in fish issues. Hunters could use a spokesperson  (spokespeople) to tell their story better.  Right now, I don't know who that is.

Offline 10Key

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 02:07:00 PM »
I think I have written this here before, but cats have been all over Seven Bays this winter. I have heard they have always been around, of course they have. There are tons of deer and turkeys in the area for a food source. At least 3 mature kitties ID'd. A 150 pound tom tracked by hounds and shot, not killed. A local with a tag finished the job. This cat had been under someone's deck and took out their dog when it was let out to go pee. The second was living under someone's manufactured home, via unsecured skirting. This one was collared and harassed, before being let go. I haven't heard if it has been back. The third was just sited on a home security cam and didn't have a collar. This all happened within 2-3 months in a very small area, only a few square miles.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 02:26:16 PM »
"The state" is overly broad, WDFW pushed for spring bear hunt and tried to liberalize mt lion hunting.

Inslee is the place to put blame, he appointed the comission, he ordered the director to stop wolf management.

It's Inslee and those who support him, and the people they put in decision making positions who are to blame.  I'm no fan of WDFW, there's plenty wrong with tbe department but its just a reflection of Washington liberals in charge

Offline timberfaller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 02:54:48 PM »
Its not just the "state" the Feds are just the same!  Refused to accept the FACTS about predation on Salmon fingerlings as being a problem in the Methow years ago!  It was the "egregious people of the Methow" and their "water stealing" was what was causing the low numbers of Salmon in their feeble minds!

Education is a scary thing when it comes to government employee's who are given way to much authority in decision making!! :o

Predator control is a management TOOL,  they just can't find it in their box!!  They've forgotten what it looks like!
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 03:24:44 PM »
"The state" is overly broad, WDFW pushed for spring bear hunt and tried to liberalize mt lion hunting.

Inslee is the place to put blame, he appointed the comission, he ordered the director to stop wolf management.

It's Inslee and those who support him, and the people they put in decision making positions who are to blame.  I'm no fan of WDFW, there's plenty wrong with tbe department but its just a reflection of Washington liberals in charge

You don't believe them when they say" I'm from the WDFW and here to help".
 :chuckle:

Offline salmosalar

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 03:41:54 PM »

"The state" is overly broad. I agree. I should have said that the population at large or a majority of voters. I understand that everyone has different perspectives, political and otherwise. The deal is that you can only control what you can control. In this case it's a lot about messaging.
There are more non-sportsmen than sportsman. As a group, we all can do a better job of framing discussions with those around us with regards to hunting. I try to do this at work. Often, people think of hunting as just a gun sport or just a violent sport and sometimes I think that I can change the perspective to be a bit more understanding. I just really think that we can all communicate better and that there are plenty of people whose minds can be changed a bit.
Right now, it's an uphill battle on the predator front. The average person just does not see a problem with not managing predators. The average person in WA State has more pressing issues even if like me, they'd like to see a spring bear season and they'd like to see less cats. So, there has to be a person or group that can more tactfully change the frame of the argument. I just don't know who that person or group is.
I don't like Inslee's recent commissioner appointments. He has really no reason to not reward the groups that helped him win the last election or that voted for him. That's sort of how the game works.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]