collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Book/ video for a beginner  (Read 2436 times)

Offline salmosalar

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Book/ video for a beginner
« on: May 04, 2022, 12:19:13 PM »
I recently inherited a Mathews Outback. I am excited to get back into archery. I have not shot in almost 30 years. It came with a release, arrows etc. The draw length is correct.
I would like a book or video to begin the process of becoming accurate. I have everything that I need including arrows, tips, release, a target and a space to practice. Do you all have any suggestions for a book to start with? Is there anyone on the youtube that would be helpful? Thank you.

Online wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
Re: Book/ video for a beginner
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 01:10:28 PM »
If you are in the south sound area, the Tacoma Sportsman’s Club offers classes.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 01:22:05 PM »
 :yeah: Make sure you start a relationship with a good pro shop and get some lessons. Problems learned early are hard to correct. Not only can't YouTube analyze your form and mistakes, a pro shop will take care of your maintenance and supply needs on short notice when you're a faithful regular. They'll also make sure you've got the correct draw length. Where are you located? Someone will recommend a good shop for you.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline salmosalar

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 05:53:34 PM »
I will be taking it to Riverside in Skagit Co. I value local stores for sure.

I have a friend who has been shooting for 30+ years coming soon for a few lessons too. I appreciate all that. It would be great to have a text or other reference to refer too though. I would like to know the how and the why. If I could find that in a book, that would certainly be a great supplement to individual instruction.

Offline salmosalar

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 10:21:58 AM »
Well, I have been shooting some. I am consistently to the right (5 inches at 20yds). The groups are small and hit the target. My friend who has shot his whole life, is coming tonight to stay for a week. He will help me with form etc. If we need to tune it, we will.

Man, It is really fun. I hop to get proficient to 30 yards by fall and see what I can do. I'm pretty certain I can at least do that with as well as shooting gone so far. I would still love any suggestions on books or manuals to refer to as a supplement to instruction. Just something with the basics that I can refer back to. There seem to be a few internet resources but if there is a standard "bible" type book, I'd love to know.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 10:43:25 AM »
Riverside will give you lessons to get started.  John Dudley on YouTube has a ton of stuff out there as do a bunch of other pro shooters.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal