collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: OREGON DUE May 15  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Flaming Antler Outdoors

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • 360-801-6438
OREGON DUE May 15
« on: May 11, 2022, 07:45:20 AM »
Oregon is due in a few days for anyone who cares  :chuckle:  Good luck  :tup:
mikedavisonoutdoors UTUBE and INSTAGRAM

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: OREGON DUE May 15
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 08:02:25 AM »
Anybody that applied early should double check their selections against the updated e-regulations as the tag reductions are posted in the updated document.

I'm hoping the fire season turns out mild and doesn't effect the fall plans.  Hoping to return to my favorite archery elk OTC spot that fires nearby have kept us out the past few years (thankfully the actual hunt area hasn't burned, yet).   

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 10:14:08 AM »
Anybody that applied early should double check their selections against the updated e-regulations as the tag reductions are posted in the updated document.

I'm hoping the fire season turns out mild and doesn't effect the fall plans.  Hoping to return to my favorite archery elk OTC spot that fires nearby have kept us out the past few years (thankfully the actual hunt area hasn't burned, yet).
So you know, archery elk isn’t OTC anymore in eastern Oregon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 10:37:17 AM »
Anyone know if you can buy points in Oregon without buying tags?

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 10:44:56 AM »

Yes you can buy points without buying tags. You do have to buy your annual license to apply for points or hunts.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 10:47:50 AM »

So you know, archery elk isn’t OTC anymore in eastern Oregon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 units (and half of another) in eastern Oregon are still OTC for archery elk.  It was mostly the northeast and east central units that were changed to controlled tags this year.

It was archery deer that went to controlled tags for 100% of the eastern units.  But even then there are so many archery controlled tags per unit, that many eastern deer archery units have decent chance to draw as 2nd choice, and some units can even be drawn as 3rd or 4th choice.   

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 10:56:41 AM »

Yes you can buy points without buying tags. You do have to buy your annual license to apply for points or hunts.

And if you go that route of buying points, if you're buying the annual hunting license anyway and think you'd travel to Oregon for a a weekend or two to use the hunting license, the non-resident bear and cougar tags are priced rather fairly at only $16.50.   

Offline Flaming Antler Outdoors

• Scout
  • 360-801-6438
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 01:49:35 PM »
Draw now for North East and Central,  hmmm that's prime wolf country now.  Probably just a coincidence
mikedavisonoutdoors UTUBE and INSTAGRAM

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 02:46:56 PM »
Draw now for North East and Central,  hmmm that's prime wolf country now.  Probably just a coincidence

ODFW is turning a blind eye to what wolves are doing to the game animals.  Having hunted the same central Oregon unit since 2007 I know first hand.  What was once elk heaven now you have to grind hard to even find the elk.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2022, 03:28:21 PM »
Wolves didn't factor into the decision to make eastern archery units controlled.  Wolves are everywhere in the state.  The decision was in response to one user group complaining that another user group had more opportunity because of the OTC tags.  It was political.   

For deer it was silly because archery deer season is in September, not rut....so the success rate for archery deer is terrible compared to rifle and the change doesn't have much impact on herd health.   For elk, there was some validity to the argument. 

But the tag quantities for controlled hunts were set to be equivalent to what was purchased OTC in prior years in those units.  So the decision isn't reducing hunting pressure or reducing tag quantities.   It was purely political.  Non-residents took the brunt of the impact of the change because of Oregon's limitation on how many tags can go to non-residents in a controlled draw, compared to unlimited OTC tags. 

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2022, 02:57:07 PM »
92xj and I are in for archery elk. SHOULD have enough points to draw so we will see. Already drew a limited entry elk permit in Montana so my September could be busy
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal