collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Action Bedding Question??  (Read 4229 times)

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Action Bedding Question??
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2022, 05:06:08 PM »
Lotta Smiths out their nodding there heads up and down.  Proof's are good barrels but they do let junk out the door at times.   Some Smith's say its 50/50 if you get a shooter with them.  Call Proof.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2022, 05:35:40 PM »
Not defending Proof in any way but it sounds like the rifle has more issues than it just being a bad barrel.  Hopefully, whoever this gunsmith is is fairly close to your friend so he can continue to take it back as many times as needed until the gun functions properly and if the smith isn't local that smith would be paying to ship it back and forth until it functions properly.  If the accuracy issue is due to a bad barrel the smith should be contacting Proof and if they won't your friend should contact them.  Have you scoped the barrel by chance?

All of the gunsmiths I've used over the years for different builds have always shot them for function and accuracy before I picked them up or they were sent out.  I know not all gunsmiths do that but for future builds I'd suggest finding one that does.

At the least, I would do everything possible to force this gunsmith to make it right and it shouldn't cost your friend another penny for anything, it's up to the smith to make it function and shoot properly.  If the smith thinks it's a barrel issue then they should contact the barrel manufacture and talk to them about sending it back for a replacement.  Unless the smith has some kind of prior and reputable relationship as a gunsmith with the barrel manufacture they probably won't just send out a new barrel before they see that one back. 

It's really unfortunate your friend is having to go through this, that sucks.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2022, 06:02:26 AM »
Does it have a brake? What’s it weigh?
Not talking smack here but not many folks can accurately shoot an un braked rum especially if it light. 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2022, 07:03:40 AM »
Not talking smack here but not many folks can accurately shoot an un braked rum especially if it light.

It does have a break and and it is about 10 lbs total weight.   I shoot my 338 lapua that kicks harder without problem.   

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2022, 07:21:50 AM »

It does have a break and and it is about 10 lbs total weight.   I shoot my 338 lapua that kicks harder without problem.   
just checking.   I have seen 3 Moa go to sub Moa with the right load. 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline jakeweb

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Hunter
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2022, 07:30:14 AM »
Is the mag box bound up? I’ve seen this happen before when there is pressure on the mag box. Make sure it will move freely within the stock with just a little bit of rattle

Offline jakeweb

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Hunter
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2022, 07:31:38 AM »
Also what bullet are you using? Proofs can be picky in my experience. I have a 300 prc that just would not shoot the 215 hybrids well. After 300 rounds or so I switched to another bullet and it’s shot around 1/4 min ever since

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2022, 07:44:08 AM »
Mag box has play and is not bound up.   We have tried hammer hunters, accubonds, partitions and most recently eld-x bullets.  Writ of bullets tried are 174, 180, 200, 212.  The 174 hammers had the best group and lowest es / sd.   They shot little over 2 inches.   

Pretty sure it’s gonna go back to the smith.   We have 200-300 dollars in load development with these results on a custom / semi custom rifle…..something is seriously wrong.   

Offline NWShooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RockyMountain Elk foundation, Mule Deer Foundation, NRA.
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2022, 08:48:12 PM »
I’m done with Proof carbon fiber barrels. J just shot the last one out. Already have a Bartlein CF on the way to replace it.
A empty vessel makes the most noise.

"Every normal man must be tempted , at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2022, 08:54:26 PM »
Everybody pretty much covered ‘things that can go wrong’.
Sucks to have something work WAY below expectations.
Hope it gets figured out!
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2022, 09:23:14 PM »
This may sound like a silly question, but did the “Smith” actually shoot the rifle and provide an example of what it is capable of  and what load he used to test?

This issue should hav been corrected by the smith. Before your friend took possession of the rifle.
What was the smith’s response when contacted?

I never understand paying $2k to $3k for a custom rifle build, without the builder/smith providing proof of the rifle’s capabilities  :dunno:

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2022, 10:31:25 PM »
I never understand paying $2k to $3k for a custom rifle build,……….
Awwww the good old days…..  you mean $4-$5k…….,

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2022, 10:16:42 AM »
This may sound like a silly question, but did the “Smith” actually shoot the rifle and provide an example of what it is capable of  and what load he used to test?

This issue should hav been corrected by the smith. Before your friend took possession of the rifle.
What was the smith’s response when contacted?

I never understand paying $2k to $3k for a custom rifle build, without the builder/smith providing proof of the rifle’s capabilities  :dunno:

I can't say for sure.....what I can say is when it came back the first time I saw it, it wouldn't chamber a round.  My guess is, no it was never fired before going to my buddy. 

It's hard....because I know this smith has put out some great work.  I also know of two rifles that required multiple trips back before it would shoot accurately.  It's frustrating because this rifle has spent more time in the shop in the last 2 years than at the range.  The initial cost for a custom rifle has now gun up 10% due to wasted time, energy, powder, bullets, etc. etc.  trying to get it to shoot. 

Sounds like the smith got wind of this post is wants to stand behind his work.  I have purposely not named him or given any information on him because....well sometimes stuff happens.....cross our fingers this gets fixed.   :tup:

Offline Havetohunt

• Pilgrim
    • Jacob Reister
  • Groups: Elk foundation
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2022, 10:23:03 AM »
Imo there it isn't the guns. I have never seen a custom from that gun Smith not shoot. Let alone a proof custom build. The hammer bullets and the 212 eldx have not shot in any of my guns. Try a berger 210 with around 89 to 90 grains of retumbo and should shoot. I have had 2 rims and 3 buddy's with them and all shot about the same.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2022, 10:34:37 AM »
Imo there it isn't the guns. I have never seen a custom from that gun Smith not shoot. Let alone a proof custom build. The hammer bullets and the 212 eldx have not shot in any of my guns. Try a berger 210 with around 89 to 90 grains of retumbo and should shoot. I have had 2 rims and 3 buddy's with them and all shot about the same.

In my experience, I have not found a rifle that would not shoot a hammer or ELD-X.  Matter of fact, they have been the least finicky bullets out there, especially when it comes to seating depth.  With that said, I shoot a lot of accubonds (not LR's) and they also shoot and load very well.  I am not a fan of the ELD-X for hunting...but that is my personal bias based on experiences on moose and bear. 

I have not loaded a ton of bergers, mostly due to the love hate relationship people have with them (you either love them or you hate them  :chuckle: :chuckle:).  A couple guides I know are in the hate category as it pertains to bergers on game based on the the lost animals and exploding bullets.  I can't say much other than I have steered clear of them.  Find it hard to believe they would shoot when nothing else has....but who knows.   :dunno: :dunno: 

I confessed that I have never loaded for a 300 RUM before.....so maybe I am the problem??  With that said, I load a lot and have a pretty tried and trued method that has worked for every rifle I own.  That is what is good about this forum....running ideas past others, because I can always learn more.   

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]