collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW Discussion/vote  (Read 5146 times)

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: WDFW Discussion/vote
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2022, 01:52:56 PM »
I believe there’s like seven endangered species on the Columbia River. Now you put those Grim Reaper nets in and it kills everything that goes into them. Why are we putting money into saving a fishery and then allowing the gill nets destroy what were trying to restore. They should’ve bought the selective nets like they were supposed to 3-4 years ago. Just another government act or position of shoveling *censored* against the tide. Pretending they’re here to help
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2022, 02:22:24 PM »
👍

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2022, 02:31:01 PM »
I believe there’s like seven endangered species on the Columbia River. Now you put those Grim Reaper nets in and it kills everything that goes into them. Why are we putting money into saving a fishery and then allowing the gill nets destroy what were trying to restore. They should’ve bought the selective nets like they were supposed to 3-4 years ago. Just another government act or position of shoveling *censored* against the tide. Pretending they’re here to help
Have you seen mortality assessments of Mark select? Have you been gillnetting? You seem to know your stuff. Any references to validate your strong opinions?

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2022, 02:43:59 PM »
I know we disagree a lot Tbar, but are you saying gill netting is a good thing?  My vision of gill netting is on the Puyallup, fish have to swim in an S to make it around the nets??
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2022, 02:54:03 PM »
Tbar  have you seen many fish survive getting caught in a gill net?

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2022, 04:30:29 PM »
Tbar  have you seen many fish survive getting caught in a gill net?
Actually yes.  Big fish seldom catch in small mesh and small fish squirt through big mesh.  It's not nearly as grim as portrayed. In addition to that in a catch and kill fishery accounting is very accurate.  We have enforcement and biologist on the fishing grounds.  It's not to at there isn't bycatch, there is! I would also say time is very limited when we fish so even with high catch% It's limited both hours and potential encounters with imperiled stocks.  When numbers get close to conservative impacts, it's shut down, to the minute.  Everything is imperfect but it's counterproductive to cast stones when we all want to fish. Mark select has impact as well, especially when you factor in post catch mortality via predation. We have bigger issues like predators and intercept but we choose to infight.

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2022, 04:34:16 PM »
Sure we all want more fish. One way is to produce more. Another way is to keep the gillnets off to Columbia River

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2022, 05:32:08 PM »
There is enough information out there that provide more sustainable, better quality market fish than gill nets.

Have I personally witnessed bycatch? No, but do I know that bycatch occurred because of season and size of catch overlaps? Yes.
I have I seen delinquent nets left in high water and the subsequent wastage of fish that resulted. And the litter of the same nets that are strung in root balls and sweepers.

I agree that appropriate tools should be used in the management of fish. Gill nets are an antiquated use of tools for current management.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2022, 05:58:39 PM »
Sure we all want more fish. One way is to produce more. Another way is to keep the gillnets off to Columbia River
And create a false carrying capacity for predators? Which is evident by the now resident populations that were migratory in the past, correct?

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2022, 06:16:40 PM »
Yes sir the sea lions aren’t doing us any favors. They need to be removed from the river. But they got cute little brown eyes. If they looked like alligators and crocodiles we wouldn’t be having that problem.  :twocents:

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2022, 07:09:24 PM »
There is enough information out there that provide more sustainable, better quality market fish than gill nets.

Have I personally witnessed bycatch? No, but do I know that bycatch occurred because of season and size of catch overlaps? Yes.
I have I seen delinquent nets left in high water and the subsequent wastage of fish that resulted. And the litter of the same nets that are strung in root balls and sweepers.

I agree that appropriate tools should be used in the management of fish. Gill nets are an antiquated use of tools for current management.
You sound a lot like the commissioners you were kissing up to.  (Smith, Rowland, Ragan and Lemkuhl). How'd that work out for you?  ;) You are nearly lock step with Smith. Hmmm

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2022, 07:24:36 PM »

You sound a lot like the commissioners you were kissing up to.  (Smith, Rowland, Ragan and Lemkuhl). How'd that work out for you?  ;) You are nearly lock step with Smith. Hmmm

:chuckle:

Smith and I are big fans of each other for sure.

Tbar why are you making an emotional argument when you were accusing me of the same.

If removing gill nets ends up decreasing fish per hour fished but eliminates or nearly eliminates bycatch fatalities it’s a win. I don’t believe that removing gill nets will negatively impact total target harvest.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2022, 07:34:53 PM »
Your rhetoric is identical to hers.  Not emotional just a fact.  And Solomons and van deWege, it's the company you keep.  :dunno:
You got on here with a holier than though unity plea and then kissed up to the very commissioners that will take what you have and want to pass down. 

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2022, 07:42:26 PM »
There are other sides to the Columbia fishery that resonate with me far beyond gillnets. Listen to people like Irene Martin, who has had a rural blue collar way of life attacked and taken in the name of ecotourism. She represents the gillnets but believes the war is one of division.  Exactly what's occurring here and other places. If you do not know of her, do a little research, we are on opposite ends of a spectrum but see overlaps and big pictures.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2022, 11:17:40 PM »
There are other sides to the Columbia fishery that resonate with me far beyond gillnets. Listen to people like Irene Martin, who has had a rural blue collar way of life attacked and taken in the name of ecotourism. She represents the gillnets but believes the war is one of division.  Exactly what's occurring here and other places. If you do not know of her, do a little research, we are on opposite ends of a spectrum but see overlaps and big pictures.

I’ll be the first to admit gillnetting isn’t the number 1 issues for wild fish stocks on the Columbia. Hydro power, irrigation, pollution, Lord knows what negative impact shad have on the river and in the ocean, etc… those are far bigger issues, however they are also more expensive and difficult to address. Personally, I’m not a big fan of doing something just for appearances. Things we do for fish and wildlife should have a noticeable direct positive impact. Removing gillnets does not remove fishermen, does not remove quota allotments, but does protect bycatch species, especially ESA or potential ESA fish.

How can it be a war of division if the outcome is the same quota with a modified method of take?

Never heard of Irene Martin but I just bought “The story of Columbia River Gillnetters” so I’ll have to read it and get back to you.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]