collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk hoof rot incentive tag drawn! Need help on area.  (Read 3845 times)

Offline PsoasHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
Elk hoof rot incentive tag drawn! Need help on area.
« on: May 18, 2022, 09:24:42 PM »
I was lucky enough to get a call from a nice lady w/ the WDFW stating I had drawn one of the 19 hoof rot incentive permits.  The tag is for any bull from Sept 1-Dec 31, if a season is open, you have to use that weapon (archery only when archery is open in that GUM), but otherwise you can use any weapon out of normal seasons.

I have 3 days to choose my area, and only 2 areas are now remaining to choose from (I was low on the list of 19).  I need help from the Hunt Wa braintrust to narrow it down.

"Willipa Hills" which includes GMU's 501, 504, 506, 530, 658, 660, 663, 672, 673, 681, 684

"Olympic", which includes all of GMU's 601, 602, 603, 607, 612, 615, 618, 624, 633, 638, 642, 648, 651 (excludes Elk Area 6064)

These are huge areas and I'm going through a lot of data right now on harvest rates and points of elk harvested, but the areas are huge!  I'm a little overwhelmed right now, help me out! 

My main concern is public access and ease of access.  I have not hunted any of these areas and have no idea what access is.  I am not afraid to put miles on, I do the high buck hunt every year and am attempting my 4th summit of Rainier this year, so I will be in shape for this hunt. I'm not afraid to do some hiking behind gates. However, I also have a 2 year old at home and can't be gone for weeks at a time.  I envision one week off work and a lot of 2-3-day weekends to devote to this.  It's easier to cover a lot of ground if I can drive out from camp each day and hike from there, so that would be the preference, but a hike-in camp hunt would work too. Also, my wife and daughter love the outdoors so if we can camp somewhere drive-able, that's a big plus.

What do you guys think?

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: Elk hoof rot incentive tag drawn! Need help on area.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 09:48:12 PM »
That sounds like an awesome opportunity and I hope and expect you will get some insight from members.

Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Clearcut

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 10:04:39 PM »
What are you looking for in the hunt.. what’s your expectation? I can’t speak to the Olympic area so hopefully someone else can but willipa has several permits required from various land owners. Mainly weyco, rayonier that I know of. Weyco has already done there sell on Pe ell which a large chunk of ground. Rayonier is a crap shoot to get.. what public or open ground that is left gets beat very hard in my experience. Definitely elk to be had but by no means the highest quality or quantity. But with that type of tag you have Time and the rut. I’d utilize late September after archery before muzzy. If you can call I think you could definitely get a decent bull

Offline Sundance

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 02:18:40 AM »
Willipa hills has more elk, but not as many high caliber bulls. Olympic area has fewer elk, but much bigger bulls. Olympic has better land access without as many areas requiring a permit. I’ve hunt both areas, many of the GMU’s listed and I wouldn’t even second guess choosing the Olympic tag.

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 04:33:00 AM »
Please let Dr. Wild know what you pick or maybe even ask her which area would help her with limper research, thanks

Online salmosalar

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 08:44:29 AM »
I have hunted both. There is a lot of access on state ground in the Olympic area. I did a hike in and car camp there.

I have hunted 530 as well. I bought walk in access to timber land. I saw more elk. I was not necessarily around more elk though. There are more cuts to see into from what I have seen. I hunted behind locked gates, closer to the park in the olympic area.

I would hunt with a bow in the Olympics and maybe muzzleloader. Late season in 530. That's how I see it.

Offline bowhntr

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 08:50:20 AM »
I’m a little envious of that one. I turned in my hooves last year too but didn’t get selected. I’ll send you a direct message of a potential option of what I would do if I were you since it does not sound like you have a weyco permit.

Offline ASHQUACK

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 09:47:19 AM »
With a tag like that in my pocket and I had to choose and area I'd take the Olympic tag in a heartbeat. There are some bruisers to be had in permit only areas and seasons. Especially the late tags when the big boys come out of the parks.

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 11:26:14 AM »
Olympic 100%.

Offline Flaming Antler Outdoors

• Scout
  • 360-801-6438
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 02:00:02 PM »
 :yeah:
mikedavisonoutdoors UTUBE and INSTAGRAM

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 04:26:55 PM »
I have hunted both. There is a lot of access on state ground in the Olympic area. I did a hike in and car camp there.

I have hunted 530 as well. I bought walk in access to timber land. I saw more elk. I was not necessarily around more elk though. There are more cuts to see into from what I have seen. I hunted behind locked gates, closer to the park in the olympic area.

I would hunt with a bow in the Olympics and maybe muzzleloader. Late season in 530. That's how I see it.

There's some public access into 530 from the south side and east side. There are plenty of elk in there, especially before and after anyone's in the woods.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline PsoasHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2022, 06:04:27 PM »
"What are you looking for in the hunt.. what’s your expectation?"

I'd be happy w/ any bull at the end of the day, but I'm hopeful to do the tag justice and go after a mature bull.  It's a pretty amazing opportunity that I feel very fortunate to have, so I want to put some effort into it to do it right.  I typically hunt private very dense forest land that I know like the back of my hand, w/ some open fields for westside muzzleloader.  I have had good success w/ cows but have never seen many bulls.  The bulls in my area unfortunately don't grow old or mature, too many small farms w/ hunters keeping an eye on them all year to let them grow mature.  Elk in my area also are not big talkers so I've never spent the time learning to call, that's something I'll need to start learning now for this particular tag.

For you guys who have hunted in the olympics, are you finding open enough areas to glass and spot and stalk, are you in thick brush calling, are you still-hunting dark tall timber, or still hunting thick brush following sign?

Thanks again for all your suggestions, it's very helpful!

Offline PsoasHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2022, 06:07:05 PM »
I’m a little envious of that one. I turned in my hooves last year too but didn’t get selected. I’ll send you a direct message of a potential option of what I would do if I were you since it does not sound like you have a weyco permit.

I got your PM, thanks for the info!

There are still 3 more winners WDFW has to call after I make my choice, so you may still be getting a call!

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2022, 07:07:51 PM »
So there's still hope for me too!

I turned in 2 sets!

Offline bowhntr

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2022, 07:13:09 PM »

I got your PM, thanks for the info!

There are still 3 more winners WDFW has to call after I make my choice, so you may still be getting a call!

Wow, Fingers crossed

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU