collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pointer quartering training?  (Read 2784 times)

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
Pointer quartering training?
« on: May 21, 2022, 02:15:43 PM »
To you guys who’ve trained more pointers than I have this may sound like a strange question by the way my dog is a 14 month old French Brittany but I’m sure it’s the same for all pointers
  I went to a field trial to watch and noticed some of the dogs were quartering really close to the handlers pointers as you know should be ranging out farther and my dog ranges out quite aways after his initial release he’ll sprint out make a big loop come back then runs back out  But it’s not necessarily quartering and when he gets wind of something he will start quartering trying to pick up more of the sent which is good
  My question is should he be quartering closer and work his way out ? And should I work on that or let him work it out on his own? When he gets time and birds under his belt?
He has not been on any game birds so he’s been scenting other birds in the field and will chase a little then watch them fly off then  will run back to where they came from start getting birdy sniffing around a lot faster then will head off looking some more
I hope this post and questions made sense
Thank you in advance
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 02:32:03 PM by huntnfmly »
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline metlhead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Pointer quartering training?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 04:53:55 PM »
14mo is very young and that pup needs to open up them lungs. That's why he will range far on release. As long as he can hold perfect points, it really does not matter how far out or close the quartering is. Generally, heavy cover is always close, open isn't. Be sure that the dog will cover all the space between you and his farthest range. Where I hunt there isn't another human for miles, so I am in no hurry. I believe he is smarter than me, and allow him to do things his way. He always surprises me.

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 07:59:21 PM »
14mo is very young and that pup needs to open up them lungs. That's why he will range far on release. As long as he can hold perfect points, it really does not matter how far out or close the quartering is. Generally, heavy cover is always close, open isn't. Be sure that the dog will cover all the space between you and his farthest range. Where I hunt there isn't another human for miles, so I am in no hurry. I believe he is smarter than me, and allow him to do things his way. He always surprises me.

Thank you I appreciate the reply
That was part of my concern that he was skipping ground

Offline Forks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA Phes. Forev.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 05:39:47 AM »
Let him figure things out.......if he's well bred, you'll have no issues. The key info you gave is he's not been on the birds you desire so what do you expect of him?? When you run him on plant birds, set him up for success with the wind in his face and then you'll start to see him shine after a few sessions.

Offline MR5x5

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 07:59:06 AM »

Solid advise right here.  :tup:

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 10:23:44 AM »
Let him figure things out.......if he's well bred, you'll have no issues. The key info you gave is he's not been on the birds you desire so what do you expect of him?? When you run him on plant birds, set him up for success with the wind in his face and then you'll start to see him shine after a few sessions.

I’m not expecting a lot from him right now when it comes to birds because I haven’t put any out for him
My concern and question you actually answered what I was thinking that once he’s on game birds he will start figuring it out
I was just curious if I should work more on him covering ground from me to where he ranges out to with quartering drills It looks like it would be fun to run him in some field/Hunt trials so just getting some tips and feedback I noticed he is running to the same areas he has been seeing birds jump up from which is good
This is probably a captain obvious statement/question the birds he’s chased and looked for are small and don’t leave as much scent compared to bigger game birds?
I very much appreciate the replies and tips thank you

Offline Forks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA Phes. Forev.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 06:01:53 PM »
The best advise I can give you is get him as many contacts with birds (quail, chukar, pigeons) as possible. Training groups can go both ways but the important part is exposure/repetition and trying to end sessions on a positive.

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 07:11:12 PM »
The best advise I can give you is get him as many contacts with birds (quail, chukar, pigeons) as possible. Training groups can go both ways but the important part is exposure/repetition and trying to end sessions on a positive.

Thank you I appreciate your input

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 01:14:15 PM »
I seen some Quartering  drills using placement boards So I made my own today to give it a go
36” x 24”

Offline MR5x5

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2022, 08:29:50 AM »
....and, make sure you train him directly "into the wind."  They will work much differently with or across the wind.

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2022, 09:16:09 AM »
....and, make sure you train him directly "into the wind."  They will work much differently with or across the wind.

Thank you for that👍

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg