collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2023 spring bear comment period  (Read 21509 times)

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
Re: 2023 spring bear comment period
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2022, 07:19:32 PM »
Didnt you guys learn anything from this year? It doesnt matter how much support it has from the public, if not holding the hunt breaks the law or if the science supports the hunt, rather it's what the commission wants for the furries. Spring bear is gone and not coming back in 2023. :sry:

What a great attitude to have! Thanks for doing your part!

No attitude, but your ignorance is bliss. Guarantee I do way more than you any year to support hunting. I probably donated more money and time to supporting the spring bear hunt this year then you have in your entire life. Thinking you know me is pretty cool though....for you at least.  :bash:

Lol holy toledo.
Didn’t realize I was talking to the Grand Poobah of donations and supporter of conservation! I’m so so so sorry I hurt your feelings disrespected you in any way. You have my deepest apologies and I sincerely vow to never commit treason against the nutsack man who’s put in more work and money towards one issue than I have in my entire life.

Once again sir, I apologize.

You didn't hurt my feelings and I'm not easily offended, but I get sick of keyboard know it alls thinking they know chit about chit. Not saying that is you, but we seem to have a lot of uneducated opinions on this site.

Let's turn this into a positive, so how about a little gentleman's bet? I'll challenge you to a bet for conservation and bet you $100 there is no spring 2023 season. If I am wrong (and I hope I am) I will donate $100 to a hunting charity of you choice. If I am right, then you donate $100 to a charity of my choice.

What do you say, you up for a bet to help with hunting conservation?
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2022, 07:26:13 PM »
Anyone who doesn't think there should be a spring bear season should watch this:
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline highcountry_hunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2022, 07:28:06 PM »
I’m not willing to bet on that because the situation is grim, and in no way was I predicting that our efforts would certainly be victorious. My point was that we have to keep fighting for the cause regardless of how low our chances of winning are.

I will however match a $100 donation to any of the Washington based organizations who are actively fighting for sportsman’s rights in this state and who are active in the spring bear conversations.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2022, 07:56:37 PM »
The only thing I see as having a snow ball's chance in you know where is WDFW really stepping up and getting a bunch more/better data and working behind the scenes.  I'll comment, but also realize there is a 99.999% chance these comments won't matter.

We should also be pinging WDFW, they made an effort last time and can certainly do so again and get to know the new commissioners better which should help them know what they want to see and what could sway opinions.

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2022, 08:32:58 PM »
I’m not willing to bet on that because the situation is grim, and in no way was I predicting that our efforts would certainly be victorious. My point was that we have to keep fighting for the cause regardless of how low our chances of winning are.

I will however match a $100 donation to any of the Washington based organizations who are actively fighting for sportsman’s rights in this state and who are active in the spring bear conversations.

Done, let me know which one and I'll definitely match your donation. Do we take a screenshot and post as proof after making the donation?

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2022, 09:22:07 PM »

Done, let me know which one and I'll definitely match your donation. Do we take a screenshot and post as proof after making the donation?

If you want to know who has been leading that fight at the commission level in the past, I think inland northwest wildlife council is a good place to start. Their director speaks at every commission meeting and crafted the accepted petition that kept us in the fight last year.  There are other state orgs fighting (and leading)in the legislature and other fronts, but I'd argue we've got no greater advocate and ally for commission stuff than INWC under Marie's directorship.

If you do make a donation, make sure you say it's for the commission fight. Let em know people see that effort and appreciate it.

A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2022, 09:38:56 PM »
Comment left.

"I am writing to strongly support the return of the spring bear hunt in 2023. The issue seems to revolve around the purpose of this hunt and whether it is a recreational hunt or serves a purpose as a means to help with damage control to timber. My understanding is that at least some of the private timber companies are now relying on the USDA to remove bears from their property to prevent damage. This seems like a waste of an opportunity for cooperation between WDFW and the timber industry to achieve a positive outcome for both.

Bears are being killed either way. With cooperation between WDFW and the timber industry hunters can be a part of the solution in limiting damage to timber resources while still maintaining our heritage of hunting and continuing the longstanding traditional spring bear hunt.

Please return the spring bear hunt in 2023 and allow sportsmen and sportswomen to be part of the solution to timber damage and enjoy the positive benefits that come from participation in this hunt."
"when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2022, 06:29:19 AM »
Comment left.

"I am writing to strongly support the return of the spring bear hunt in 2023. The issue seems to revolve around the purpose of this hunt and whether it is a recreational hunt or serves a purpose as a means to help with damage control to timber. My understanding is that at least some of the private timber companies are now relying on the USDA to remove bears from their property to prevent damage. This seems like a waste of an opportunity for cooperation between WDFW and the timber industry to achieve a positive outcome for both.

Bears are being killed either way. With cooperation between WDFW and the timber industry hunters can be a part of the solution in limiting damage to timber resources while still maintaining our heritage of hunting and continuing the longstanding traditional spring bear hunt.

Please return the spring bear hunt in 2023 and allow sportsmen and sportswomen to be part of the solution to timber damage and enjoy the positive benefits that come from participation in this hunt."
Don't quote me on this.
But I'm pretty sure when USDA does removal.
No parts of the bear are allowed to be taken.
It's just left to rot.
Doesn't that seem like a waste.
I always support hunter oppertunitty first.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Online Alan K

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2022, 07:51:38 AM »
All of the USDA depredation removals that I have heard of have been donated to tribal entities. I have never heard of a wasted depredation bear, even when WDFW issued permits parts were turned in and/or donated.

While spring bear hunts on the west side were more targeted to damage areas, it is not and should not be the premis for a hunt. The populations are as high as they've ever been. A spring bear hunt is needed for sheer population control at this point, and if it solves some timber damage too that's great.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2022, 08:39:11 AM »
All of the USDA depredation removals that I have heard of have been donated to tribal entities. I have never heard of a wasted depredation bear, even when WDFW issued permits parts were turned in and/or donated.

While spring bear hunts on the west side were more targeted to damage areas, it is not and should not be the premis for a hunt. The populations are as high as they've ever been. A spring bear hunt is needed for sheer population control at this point, and if it solves some timber damage too that's great.
Basically the trapper is required to properly dispose of the animal.
Whether that's donated,thrown away at a state pit. Or whatever, the trapper is not allowed to keep it. Or left to rot.
As long as it's "properly dispose" definition.
I think it's like 64,000 coyotes killed last year,I'm sure all those are donated too. Left to rot is the definition of properly deposed.

Don't get me wrong,I'm glad to hear about some not going to waste. But don't act like it never happens.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2022, 11:53:30 AM »

We actually should be working to get this back to a "damage" hunt.   The reasoning all comes back to public opinion, which is a major factor in the commissions decision making.  A damage hunt had upwards of 70% public approval, but a "recreational" spring hunt had extremely low public approval.  This information and suggestion came to me straight from the mouth of one of the "no" votes on the commission.
"when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2022, 12:03:02 PM »
Is it not still a damage hunt?

The tags are in areas where there's high livestock/human conflict or commercial timber damage...

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2022, 12:09:06 PM »
Is it not still a damage hunt?

The tags are in areas where there's high livestock/human conflict or commercial timber damage...

For some reason, WDFW moved away from classifying it as a damage hunt over the years.  This led to the questions about why we have this hunt.   Nobody could provide an answer so we ended up right here.

Online Alan K

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2022, 12:36:41 PM »

Basically the trapper is required to properly dispose of the animal.
Whether that's donated,thrown away at a state pit. Or whatever, the trapper is not allowed to keep it. Or left to rot.
As long as it's "properly dispose" definition.
I think it's like 64,000 coyotes killed last year,I'm sure all those are donated too. Left to rot is the definition of properly deposed.

Don't get me wrong,I'm glad to hear about some not going to waste. But don't act like it never happens.

I never said anything about coyotes, or woodpeckers, seagulls, beavers, or anything else that USDA may do control on. I said bears, which this thread is on.  Nobody wants a bear to go to waste, neither USDA or every timber owner I've ever talked to included.  I've never heard of one being wasted, they've always gone to tribal entities. 

If you know of a wasted depredation bear please do let the agency in charge know. I know everyone involved bends over backwards to ensure they're utilized.  Insinuating on the internet that they don't only spreads BS.  :twocents:

We actually should be working to get this back to a "damage" hunt.   The reasoning all comes back to public opinion, which is a major factor in the commissions decision making.  A damage hunt had upwards of 70% public approval, but a "recreational" spring hunt had extremely low public approval.  This information and suggestion came to me straight from the mouth of one of the "no" votes on the commission.

That may be so, but it should be screamed from the mountain tops by sportsmen and WDFW's biologists alike that there is no biological/population related reason not to have the hunt, and statewide for that matter.  For decades and decades and decades black bears were baited, trapped, hound hunted, boot hunted, and even hunted for bounty and it didnt irreparably damage the populations.  Now after over 25 years without any of those effective tools in place and massive population growth, we're to believe that we can't be sure that if there is a spring bear hunt we will be setting back the resource? Give me a break!

With respect to damage from the timber owner perspective, boot hunting has a near zero effect on reducing damage.  Maybe some small amount of "hazing", but that'd just send animals further from the road down into the reprod they're damaging.  A timber owner looking to stop the damage is going to secure a trapper to target that specific animal, or put out supplemental feed to hopefully satisfy the bear in lieu of their trees.  Neither of those are compatible with boot hunting because a hunter may find the trappers bait or a feeder and hunt over it.  Last thing any landowner is going to want is to be accused of facilitating an illegal hunt because Joe boot hunter finds a USDA trap or a feeder and hunts over it.

If it's truly about stopping bear damage to timber, legislation to allow baiting, hounds, and trapping via WDFW permits should be pushed for.  Those are the only methods that will result in a meaningful difference.

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2022, 03:41:30 PM »
We can scream all we want, but the general public doesn't support spring bear hunting for reasons other than damage control.   So we will be screaming the truth while not hunting bears in the spring.   Or, we can play the game and be a part, no matter how small, of helping control damage and hunt bears in the spring.  I don't care if you call it a damage hunt, a population control hunt, or a backwoods fashion show.  As long as the hunt is allowed to go on. 

Right now we need to focus on keeping our current hunting opportunities and not spend valuable resources trying to get hound and bait hunting back.   As much as we need them back, it's not going to happen.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]