collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Neck Size or Full Length Size?  (Read 4817 times)

Offline NWShooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RockyMountain Elk foundation, Mule Deer Foundation, NRA.
Re: Neck Size or Full Length Size?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2022, 07:57:24 AM »
Full length size. .002 shoulder bump. Quality dies will keep everything concentric the first go around. Blue box brass and yellow box bullets for .1’s accuracy.
:yeah:

Fullsize, lapua, berger, money !
:tup:

:tup: :tup: :tup:
A empty vessel makes the most noise.

"Every normal man must be tempted , at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2022, 08:54:48 AM »
Full length size. .002 shoulder bump. Quality dies will keep everything concentric the first go around. Blue box brass and yellow box bullets for .1’s accuracy.

:yeah: but if lapua isn't available insert Peterson.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2022, 08:58:05 AM »

Neck sizing only is a thing of the past.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2022, 09:21:14 AM »

:yeah: but if lapua isn't available insert Peterson.
or adg
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2022, 09:25:13 AM »
I wouldn't say neck sizing is a thing of the past at all. I've been reloading for 40 years, but only in the last five years have I been neck sizing. I do it for two rifles- my daughter's 7mm-08 and my 338 Win. Mag.

Getting great accuracy with both. I don't load to the max with either one, as I'm trying to keep recoil down a bit.

For my 270 Win. and 30/06 I'm still doing the full length sizing like I've always done.

But neck sizing sure saves a whole lot of time.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2022, 10:01:12 AM »
I wouldn't say neck sizing is a thing of the past at all. I've been reloading for 40 years, but only in the last five years have I been neck sizing. I do it for two rifles- my daughter's 7mm-08 and my 338 Win. Mag.

Getting great accuracy with both. I don't load to the max with either one, as I'm trying to keep recoil down a bit.

For my 270 Win. and 30/06 I'm still doing the full length sizing like I've always done.

till your brass grows enough to be difficult to chamber. Then you’ll need to bump shoulders.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2022, 10:33:35 AM »

till your brass grows enough to be difficult to chamber. Then you’ll need to bump shoulders.

Yes I understand that, but for these rifles I will load up maybe 50 cartridges and that may last three years, or maybe longer. So it could be a long time before bumping the shoulders back is necessary.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2022, 12:12:32 PM »
I just love that he tried to give solid advice, and internet experts tried to call him a liar......

So he asked like 50 of The Best shooters out there.

Some of those guys have to feel awful sheepish.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2022, 12:21:46 PM »

[/quote]till your brass grows enough to be difficult to chamber. Then you’ll need to bump shoulders.
[/quote]

The whole dang piece of brass grows so that it no longer chambers properly.  I have schematic drawings of the cartridge cases I load and the dimensions from neck sizing only, exceeds the schematics from top to bottom.  Bulging at the web was common.  The point comes when a neck sized case will not drop into a case checker tool and then you know you have a problem. 

Im of the opinion that regardless of how you reload, the single most important factor (until you have a problem), is case to case consistency before and after loading.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2022, 12:27:12 PM »

[/quote]

The whole dang piece of brass grows so that it no longer chambers properly.  I have schematic drawings of the cartridge cases I load and the dimensions from neck sizing only, exceeds the schematics from top to bottom.  Bulging at the web was common.  The point comes when a neck sized case will not drop into a case checker tool and then you know you have a problem. 

Im of the opinion that regardless of how you reload, the single most important factor (until you have a problem), is case to case consistency before and after loading.
[/quote] I never use a cartridge gage. Who’s to say it’s even close to my chamber? Over sizing brass can cause trouble just as easily as under sizing

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2022, 01:34:22 PM »
I only use them if a problem arises to give me a starting point.

Offline NWShooter

• Hunter
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2022, 08:24:15 PM »
For my precision loads I size 1/3 down case, rotate 33 degrees, size down 2/3 down case, rotate another 33 degrees, then full size. Keeps cases as concentric as possible

Hmmmmm. What about the last 1 degree?? 😂🤣😂🤣😂

"Every normal man must be tempted , at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

Offline Bareback

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2022, 08:58:34 PM »
Last degree? Last 294 degrees? 360 degrees/6.28 radians in a circle. I think he may have meant 120 degrees each rotation? :dunno:

Offline NWShooter

• Hunter
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2022, 09:07:23 PM »
 :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Flaming Antler Outdoors

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • 360-801-6438
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2022, 07:06:53 AM »
I've heard or the other way is best depending who you talk to, I happened to stumble onto this video:

Fairly new to the game, love it thanks for sharing  :tup:
mikedavisonoutdoors UTUBE and INSTAGRAM

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal