collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: St. Joe?  (Read 8792 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
St. Joe?
« on: May 30, 2022, 06:09:07 PM »
Anyone ever fly fished the Joe that’s interested in sharing some info or pointers? Happy to chat via pm.
Also I’m looking for interested parties for a 3 day weekend trip over there if anyone is interested.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline simondude

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: St. Joe?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2022, 06:15:50 PM »
I've fished it a few times above Avery a little ways in the canyon. A little later in the summer. We did really good on hoppers.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 06:16:50 PM »
Didn’t fish it but hunting in there, awesome country.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 07:38:29 PM »
What are you looking to know? My cousin lives in St. Maries and fishers the Joe pretty regularly.  Shoot me a PM and I'll see what he is willing to offer up to an "apple maggot ".  :chuckle:
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 07:52:06 PM »
What are you looking to know? My cousin lives in St. Maries and fishers the Joe pretty regularly.  Shoot me a PM and I'll see what he is willing to offer up to an "apple maggot ".  :chuckle:

Really just looking for a decent starting point with some campsites. I assume there’s a ton of campsites.  Part of the problem is that there’s so much access and so many places to start. I feel less than confident about throwing a dart at a map. I’ll shoot you a pm. See if your bro is willing to share anything with a dirtbag like me.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 07:52:33 PM »
PS I had no idea we were called apple maggots.

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 11:16:37 PM »
Jackalope-
We camped in 2019 at Conrad crossing campground on the lower camp on the river. Awesome spot to camp right on the river. Upstream is a spot called Gold Creek, nice as well, more open on a nice bend in the river. I fished there and caught cutthroats up to 13”. Beautiful trout. If your a rock hound the river is laced with all kinds of cool geologic rock. I took a few home for my garden!
I would love to go back and explore more of the area….

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 01:31:21 AM »
Ill tell you that driving up from Avery along the joe there is alot of campsites, but with summer brings the campers. There is alot of people camped along the river. The upper north fork can be a little more empty and if you are willing to travel way up the joe near MT border there is far less people. I also know of several lakes in a area that you can hike into in that area

Offline MR5x5

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 06:50:07 AM »
...and check your timing.  Was scouting that way two weeks ago and the river is way to high to fish at present.  High water projected to stay around a little longer than usual this spring.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 06:56:47 AM »
there is a ton of snow in those mountains still. 6k feet there is 85" still those rivers may be high for a while

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 07:14:07 AM »
Pm sent

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2022, 09:06:28 AM »
Used to go a couple times a summer when I was a kid. We would hop over moon pass road from Wallace and fish pretty much wherever and have a good time. Caught my biggest trout (not saying much) over there. I was just thinking about heading over in the next year or two myself with the kiddos.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2022, 10:12:56 AM »
Big, fluffy dry fly on top with a bead head pheasant tail nymph 12"-18" below on a dropper  :tup:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2022, 10:16:17 AM »
Thanks y'all. I'm thinking of a July trip, so snowmelt and runoff aren't a big issue for me. I kinda figured there would be lots of options as far as where to go and where to camp, etc. I get a little overwhelmed when there are lots of options because I'm convinced I'll always make the wrong decision.
I appreciate all of your insights and advice.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2022, 10:23:04 AM »
Big, fluffy dry fly on top with a bead head pheasant tail nymph 12"-18" below on a dropper  :tup:

This should pretty much handle it. Maybe a lightening bug in place of the PT if there are lots of caddis around. By mid July there should be stoneflies around so big and fluffy gets it done. Plus they're mostly cutthroat so they'll usually hit anything up to and including chicken bones.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]