collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Another Trip to the Dinger Farm  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Another Trip to the Dinger Farm
« on: June 07, 2022, 11:39:12 AM »
Nothing great to report - just another good outing with a Knight

Different rifle this time - I took my Knight Stainless Steel 45 cal fast twist.

The goal of the trip was to confirm that the rifle was sighted in with the Lehigh .400x230CF-HP Brass bullet. And a second goal was to load a couple of the resized Lehigh .458x260 Sabotless bullets.  They have been resized to .451.

I did not use a paper target at all as I was sure the rifle was sighted in from a previous trip.  So, I setup 5 clays at 100 yards.  You can see the Lentils are starting to pop up and using clays is going to get more difficult to see. The adjacent field is Winter Wheat and it is already to tall place clays. It will not be long before I move to the Pope farm to shoot. Gas is to darn expensive to drive the truck out and back to the Rock Pit.

The two bullets on the right are the two versions of the Lehigh .400x230 I wanted to test.  The red sabot is a special run of a MMP sabot that Del pushed out of the MMP factory several years ago when I suggested that a sabot with a longer petals might well be needed for the longer ML bullets being made.  The Tan sabot is the normal MMP 40-45 sabot.

It did turn out to be a very good day - actually a couple of hours - leisurely shooting at the farm.  The rifle and the bullets destroyed the clays. Although... the 3rd bird either from right or the left did cause me a problem.  You can see that I set it up to deep in the soil, and was really difficult to see or to get a bullet to without hitting the soil.  It did take make me two shots to pummel it - but I got it!

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline Bareback

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Re: Another Trip to the Dinger Farm
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 02:43:18 PM »
Looks like fun. What do the brass bullets with rotary broached hex look like after impact? Are there six pedals?

Offline Sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Another Trip to the Dinger Farm
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 03:16:42 PM »
Looks like fun. What do the brass bullets with rotary broached hex look like after impact? Are there six pedals?

Yes, there are 6 petals that open to 40* them break off move outward in the liquid environment punching hole in the various organs.  Then the core of the bullet continues on and normally exits the far side of the animal.

This is what the bullet core looks like when stripped of the petals.  You can see the sharp cutting edges the bullet retains - what you can't see it the small con-cave depression in the top of the bullet that now collects blood and ejects it outwards to continue cutting organs.

They really inflict internal damage in the animal

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal