collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New to Hunting - Searching for Mentor  (Read 2731 times)

Offline aldermw86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • https://www.facebook.com/michael.alder.73
New to Hunting - Searching for Mentor
« on: June 13, 2022, 03:38:34 PM »
Completely new to hunting, I've tried reaching out to a few nearby mentors on the First Hunt Foundation website (https://firsthuntfoundation.org/find-a-mentor) with zero success. After completing the Washington Hunter Ed course and getting my hunting certification, I'm having trouble figuring out where to start. I have a 12-gauge shotgun and I was hoping to join someone with experience to get out in the field with and show me the ropes. It seems like a much better idea to get out there with a seasoned expert who can call me out when I'm doing something wrong and impart some wisdom rather than trying on my own.

I've been an outdoor enthusiast forever; camping, hiking, exploring, etc. I grew up doing boy scouts and even remember shooting a gun or two. My dad used to hunt when I was little but stopped before I had the opportunity to learn. Now that I'm older and have 2 boys of my own, I want to branch out into the world and procure food the way humans were meant to and I want my kids to know where their food comes from. I'm hoping when I gain more experience, I'll be able to take them out and teach them about hunting and conservation as well.

I live in the Everett area but I'm willing to travel wherever the game for beginners are at. I was thinking turkey but, again, it's hard to know where to start. Any thoughts, recommendations, or mentorship is greatly appreciated.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: New to Hunting - Searching for Mentor
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 04:03:24 PM »
Welcome to the site and that is a great introduction. I am sure you will find plenty of people willing to lend you a hand. Hit me up come duck hunting season and if you want to come to the eastside, you are welcome to join us in the blind
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline MeepDog

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 04:16:00 PM »
There are certain questions you have to ask people and yourself when you start hunting and I'm not talking ethics or philosophy.

Where are you allowed to hunt?
What animal do you want to hunt?
When are you allowed to hunt that animal?
Which tags, licenses and stamps do I need to hunt that animal?
What gear do I need for that?

"When are you allowed to hunt deer?" Or "what gear do I need for pheasant hunting?" Are productive types of questions.

Offline crage

• Pilgrim
    • none
  • Groups: none
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 08:38:27 PM »
Howdy,
I live in Wenatchee. We have some hunting around here and although I'm older and not in the greatest shape, I can show you some spots and advise some methods in this neck of the woods for most any type of game.

Offline egranning

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: BHA
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 09:00:16 PM »
Just sent you a direct message.

Offline Northcascadeshunter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 12:48:35 PM »
While I cannot claim to be a "seasoned expert" i am also not entirely green either and I happen to be in your neck of the woods. I'm always interested in a new hunting partner and would be more than happy to share what I do know in trade for someone to get out there with. I started out without much if any guidance and I'm  still learning every time I go out and expect that to be true for the rest of my life. That's why if fun though right?
Hit me back with a msg and we can chat about what you wanna get out there and do. Odds are I'm in.  8)

Offline Fred Zoeller

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: Everett Sportsmens Club Everett, Master Hunter, Retired Navy Chaplain
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 12:37:42 PM »
I need a partner to hunt elk Oct 28 - Nov 6.  You would need a sighted-in rifle and an Eastern WA elk license, and be prepared to camp.  I hunt GMU 368, 30 miles west of Yakima.  See my post or call 425-368-4816 or email fzoeller@frontier.com.  Fred Zoeller
By Grace,
Fred Zoeller

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal