collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Archery Antlerless Mudflow tag  (Read 5532 times)

Offline Fishjustin87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • 6021 60TH PL NE, 6021 60TH PL NE
Archery Antlerless Mudflow tag
« on: June 19, 2022, 09:54:50 AM »
Looking for anyone that has recently drawn the mudflow tag. I am still awaiting the packet from WDFW but would love any advice from those of you that have hunted the special draw in recent years. So far from my research it's looking like I can access from 504 from the north. Plan to cover plenty of ground during the season and hoping to get a scouting trip or two in to at least locate some better areas to focus on during the hunt. Any advice form those of you that have been in this unit in previous years would be greatly appreciated.

Offline MLBowhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Archery Antlerless Mudflow tag
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 12:34:39 PM »
Hike in gate from 504 and you'll see elk. 
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 01:58:42 PM »
Hike in gate from 504 and you'll see elk.

:yeah: or ride a bike down and push it back ip.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline HillHound

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 03:09:21 PM »
 :yeah:
My nephew drew the bull youth tag couple years ago. Hunting off 504 Bring lots of help to pack it back up the hill. We had three men and a 13 year old for his 5 point and made it out in one trip but it was a grind. Saw another kid down there that had one down and he must’ve had a dozen people there to help. I don’t think one of those guys even broke a sweat with the weight of their packs. Game carts or wheelbarrows work well Once you get it onto the road. If I had that tag I would make sure to plan some time. We usually see a lot more bulls down there than cows. Not that they aren’t  there, Just not as usual to be out in the flats in big herds  like the bulls often are

Offline dagon

• Tracker
    • nope
  • Groups: master hunter, hunter ed instructor, ducks unlimited. rmef
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 05:58:14 AM »
Looking for anyone that has recently drawn the mudflow tag. I am still awaiting the packet from WDFW but would love any advice from those of you that have hunted the special draw in recent years. So far from my research it's looking like I can access from 504 from the north. Plan to cover plenty of ground during the season and hoping to get a scouting trip or two in to at least locate some better areas to focus on during the hunt. Any advice form those of you that have been in this unit in previous years would be greatly appreciated.
I don't think they send out a packet for the Mudflow hunts. I don't see it mentioned in the regulations. The Pumice Plains unit just to the east does but it has a lot more rules and pass's required.

Offline DUCKDUDE

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 10:43:23 PM »
Id stay out of the valley and go in on the south side off the 3000 line.  I had a muzzy cow tag there a couple years ago and it was far more productive up high especially for cows. Id focus around castle peak and above castle lake.

Offline DUCKDUDE

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 10:45:57 PM »
I don't think they send out a packet for the Mudflow hunts. I don't see it mentioned in the regulations. The Pumice Plains unit just to the east does but it has a lot more rules and pass's required.

Yes they will send you a packet that include off trail hiking permits for i believe it was 4.  So you can be inside the Monument Area.

Offline dagon

• Tracker
    • nope
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 12:03:39 PM »
Talked to F&G. No packet or permits to go off trail for mudflow hunts. I guess it is not part of the monument anymore like the Pumice Plain hunt.

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 12:59:05 PM »
It's not. Anybody can go down there. Been that way for a long time.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 01:05:26 PM »
I had a Mudflow permit the last two years and both times I received four permits from the forest service to go off trail in the monument. If that's no longer the case then that's new this year, because I hunted the Mudflow unit in 2020 and 2021.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2022, 01:49:20 PM »
I had a Mudflow permit the last two years and both times I received four permits from the forest service to go off trail in the monument. If that's no longer the case then that's new this year, because I hunted the Mudflow unit in 2020 and 2021.

Well aren't you special. :chuckle:
Congrats on those draws. I have put in for 15 years trying to draw there. One day. But love hearing everyones success stories there. All around that mountian is beautiful
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2022, 02:03:20 PM »

Well aren't you special. :chuckle:
Congrats on those draws. I have put in for 15 years trying to draw there. One day. But love hearing everyones success stories there. All around that mountian is beautiful

Yeah, burned quite a few points on those two hunts. Drew the Quality modern permit in 2020 with 12 points and the antlerless muzzleloader permit in 2021 with 7 points. At my age I don't expect I'll ever draw anything in either of those two categories ever again. Especially since I probably won't be living in this state for more than a couple more years.

Offline dagon

• Tracker
    • nope
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 05:20:18 PM »

I only know what they told me. I was pretty specific. She said no its not like the Pumice Plains hunt. I got that two years ago and had the permits from the forest service. I'll let you know if I actually get anything. Actually the grandson will get something or not.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2022, 05:25:01 PM »

I only know what they told me. I was pretty specific. She said no its not like the Pumice Plains hunt. I got that two years ago and had the permits from the forest service. I'll let you know if I actually get anything. Actually the grandson will get something or not.

All I know is the Forest Service off trail permits came with the packet of information that the WDFW sent me, both in 2020 and 2021. I never talked to anybody on the phone or in person. The packets did come quite late, it seemed to me, like just a week or two before the season started.

Offline fc2038

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2022, 01:57:14 PM »
My boy had the tag in 2019 and 2021 we were issued off trail permits from the forest service. I ran into the same issue with people on the phone. Was able to get ahold of the biologist and he confirmed and we were issued off trail passes. Archery elk I would not hunt the bottom and stay high.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]