collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: IS IT GROUSE SEASON, YET???  (Read 5054 times)

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
IS IT GROUSE SEASON, YET???
« on: June 21, 2022, 08:29:12 AM »
Today the countdown begins.  It's time to prep for grouse season and here are some things to consider:

Thx to Brandon, gasoline prices aren't likely to come down soooo: Start putting away some cash for fall RIGHT NOW.  A $20 here, $10 there every week (don't laugh, I do it myself and I have no idea how much is in the bag already, but it will help pay for gas, groceries and other essentials in 2 1/2 months.

September 15 is on a Thursday. Plan to take that day and Friday off if you're able, and do it with a hunting partner to share the costs. Set up a camp. The partner can also start sticking money in a sock every week.  I started grouse hunting when gas was way less than a buck a gallon, and I saved my money even then.

Pick out 3-4 areas you plan to hunt and start paying attention to reports of road construction, logging activity, forest fires and fire danger, (USFS websites are often good sources of information) and anything else that might bonk your chances of success. Always have a 'PLAN B'...and don't overlook ... wait for it...BERRY CROPS. Grouse don't stray too far from groceries, and this is where you can look.

SHARE INFORMATION right here.  I'm not asking you to reveal your 'secret spot' that only you (and maybe 5,000 other guys you never met) know about, but when you see something, say something; grouse broods, general areas, that sort of thing.  When I was editor at Fishing & Hunting News 30 years ago, I used to share all of that stuff every week, even if it might bring people to the areas I liked to hunt. There's nothing exclusive about public land, y'know.  ;)  Don't be selfish with information. We all like to know what's going on out there (shoot some photos and share them when you spot hens and broods).

I mentioned berry fields.  I always did grouse previews and pointed people to traditional productive areas.  For example, down in southeast Lewis and northern Skamania counties, Badger Mountain, Misquito Meadows, Pinto Rock, French Buttes; Government Meadows north of Mount Rainier, any of the big berry areas up along the Cascade Crest north and south. Get up high in Chelan and Okanogan counties, over in Ferry County east of Republic heading up to Sherman Pass... There are spots north of Leavenworth on the way up to Maverick Saddle and Sugarloaf north ane east of Plain and up the Chiwawa River (where I shot the biggest blue grouse I ever saw some years ago! SEE BELOW)

May and June so far have set off alarms about a bad hatch, but don''t discount a late hatch now that weather has improved. 

PRACTICE:  I'll be trying to pop grouse with my .22 rifle and pistol again this season. Get some plastic half-gallon milk jugs, fill them with water and start shooting. They're about the same size as an adult fool hen, and it saves meat and money since shotgun shells are more expensive than rimfires. 

Watch for ammunition sales (they get you through the doors of the sport shops), but take a specific list and stick to it.

It may sound silly, but as the season opener gets closer, take a day or a weekend and bring your bud(s) along and a .22 pistol, and hike some of your intended countryside. Gets your legs and lungs in shape, and you get used to the weight of a gun on your belt again.  And take note of where you jump birds (nothing like spooking a thunder chicken from the underbrush, exploding with that pfffllllttttrrr of wing beats that make your heart and bladder work).

Soon as the game regs are available--or you can check online--firm up the opener.

Maybe if we're lucky, we'll run into one another somewhere up in the High Lonesome this fall.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 08:39:26 AM by Dave Workman »
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
Re: IS IT GROUSE SEASON, YET???
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 08:37:01 AM »
Sept 15th is for chasing elk!!!! :chuckle:
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline phildobaggins

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • big buck big buck big buck
  • Groups: RMEF, MDF
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 08:50:07 AM »

:yeah: :yeah:

Grouse season was excellent when it opened on the 1st  >:(

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 09:33:46 AM »
Great post and great advice! Gets me all excited about chasing Grouse!

And I agree about the season dates, but it looks like that's what we're stuck with for now.  >:(
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline KNOPHISH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 09:33:59 AM »
Sounds like a F&H news article.  :chuckle: Found a good spot last year during bow season and got one with a rock, until I was going for a 2nd one and the 1st one woke up and got away. I have a Ruger 22 that’s pretty accurate but missed a couple, it was shooting a little high so I’ll be better prepared next one I see. When we were young North bend FS roads we hunted from a VW bug, put a couple bucks in the tank and could drive to, hunt and drive home. Delicious and fun birds.

I have Man Chit to do

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 09:38:16 AM »
September 1 was a long awaited day for the kids but with the Sept 15 opener it just killed it for us. Thats archery elk and the start of a long big game season. Really unfortunate.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 10:12:32 AM »
September 1 was a long awaited day for the kids but with the Sept 15 opener it just killed it for us. Thats archery elk and the start of a long big game season. Really unfortunate.

YES... You know it's as if the Commission was against us, not for us.  :dunno:
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 10:29:39 AM »
Would you believe that a few years ago, some jerk actually suggested I didn't plug this grouse legally with a pistol? And he also intimated I shot the sucker in the road simply because where the photo was taken, there was a road in the background.
Fact is, I don't carry a camera and tripod along in the brush, and I find a spot with good light for photos.  I don't think I've ever taken a photo in the same spot where I actually shot a grouse. I'm not sure I know anybody who has.

ON THAT NOTE:  Try to get photos of yourself with your birds.  Dead birds on a tailgate are about as interesting as dishwater. FYI: The image below is a self-photo. I was hunting alone that morning. The pistol is an original Ruger 'Standard' pistol (the model that eventually became the MKI). I bought it at a gun show maybe 12-15 years ago. Except for one small ding at the butt, where the previous owner had evidently dropped it, the gun was like new, especially after I scrubbed it out with Hoppe's No. 9 and a good bristle brush.  And boy does that thing shoot!

IIRC, I capped this bird using a 40-grain RNL Winchester at about 25 yards as he trotted out into the brush after spotting me come around the corner. I parked, bailed out of the truck and slowly stepped back into the brush hoping he didn't disappear. They don't call blues "fool hens" for nothing. He stopped near the base of a tree, apparently looking to see if I was following but by then I'd flanked him and WHAM! down he went. I was trying to head-shoot him but the bullet went in at the top of his breast.  DINNER!   Wish I'd have had a pal along filming that. One of the best pistol shots I ever made.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 02:17:55 PM by Dave Workman »

Offline mcrawfordaf

• Longhunter
  • PF, RGS, INWWC, SBDA, NWTF
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 10:36:28 AM »
Speaking of grouse, Ruffed Grouse of Washington is hosting a wire clean up at L.T. Murray this weekend. Too far for me to drive at the moment but hopefully it gains traction!

My current Ruffed spot is up in the Col NF and I cant wait to get back up there this year!

"Wildlife Area Cleanup Event

When: Saturday, June 25th,

Habitat work party on the Whiskey Dick Unit of the L.T. Murray Wildlife Area. We will be removing old barbed wire fence and pulling t-post adjacent the Vantage highway. Volunteer parties have already removed 4.8 miles of the fence beginning at the Corrals parking lot and moving east. This event will focus on the remaining 3.3 miles of wire bordering the highway and terminating at the Gingko State Park property boundary. (Note, the red line in the image below).

Meet up at 8:00am, at the Wild Horse Wind Farm parking lot (46.976788, -120.208627, WGS 84 datum). We will be working along the Vantage Highway which has occasional pullouts for parking but walking up to a mile between vehicle and work site may be necessary. Highway traffic can be heavy at times so a work vest designed to increase visibility is encouraged. We will stop work no later than 3pm.

Directions:

From Ellensburg, take the Vantage Hwy east for 15 miles and just as you crest the hill, turn left onto the Wind Farm. The parking lot will be on your left in .2 miles.

I will bring a couple pair of fencing plyers, post pullers, safety glasses, and tools for removing or bending nails. Remember, rattlesnakes are common in this area so wear appropriate footwear and watch where you place your hands when working with wire. Bring plenty of water and snacks. I will also bring volunteer and Master Hunter forms so everyone can sign up for WDFW liability and get credit for hours.

Bring leather work gloves, working shoes or boots, and sunscreen. Fence pliers or wire cutters will be very useful if you have them.

Please send me a quick text or email if you plan to attend, and contact me with any questions,

Thank you for your time,

Noel

L.T. Murray Wildlife Area Assistant Manager

Noel Winegeart

509-899-3428 cell noel.winegeart@dfw.wa.gov
"

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 06:03:32 PM »
The conversation above inspired me to do a quick prep feature on honing your skills with a .22-caliber pistol.  :tup:

http://www.thegunmag.com/summer-rimfire-shooting-fall-small-game-bounty/

Give it a read and enjoy!

Offline KNOPHISH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 07:10:34 PM »
Cool, Same ruger I have but yours is much prettier.  :tup:
I have Man Chit to do

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 07:33:17 PM »
but don’t forget Karl! You get January 1st-15th added at the end of the season!!🤦🏻

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2022, 08:59:30 PM »
I'm hoping this dry spell with warmer weather were getting now helps the late broods. The first was definitely poor. I'm not seeing as many if any adult blues where I typically do in mid to late June either.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2022, 05:48:05 AM »
I saw and heard several blues this past weekend. With the hooters it's a good way to tell how the population  is for al given area.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Dave Workman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2022, 06:47:15 AM »
I saw and heard several blues this past weekend. With the hooters it's a good way to tell how the population  is for al given area.

WHERE?   :dunno: ;)

("SHARE INFORMATION right here.  I'm not asking you to reveal your 'secret spot' that only you (and maybe 5,000 other guys you never met) know about, but when you see something, say something; grouse broods, general areas, that sort of thing.  When I was editor at Fishing & Hunting News 30 years ago, I used to share all of that stuff every week, even if it might bring people to the areas I liked to hunt. There's nothing exclusive about public land, y'know.  ;)  Don't be selfish with information. We all like to know what's going on out there (shoot some photos and share them when you spot hens and broods").

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]