collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Closest shot on a harvested animal?  (Read 12300 times)

Offline RobinHoodlum

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
Re: Closest shot on a harvested animal?
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2022, 08:23:10 PM »
Closest and most exhilarating shot for me as a black bear at 19 yards with my bow. Spot and stalk from a 1/2 mile away. Sat and waited with fingers crossed for over an hour in an area with downhill shooting lanes and uphill thermals. He fed up and into my side hill so I crept about five steps steps to clear a knoll and glimpsed the top of his head. Waited for another minute and  came out of a crouch at full draw. He noticed and turned to me as I released. Frontal chest shot passed through and the bear let out an immediate roar/woof noise, then turned and burned. Dead on his feet before crashing into trees 30 yards downhill. Checked my pants and fortunately all was good on that end!

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2022, 08:28:31 PM »
Little WT buck at 10-15 feet
Pronghorn at less than 20 yards
Missed a decent bull with ML at 10 feet or so, went for the head shot but was wound up pretty tight as 75 or 100 had already thundered by
Dad killed a decent pronghorn at less than 50 yards, ran about a 5 mile circle and died almost exactly where he first shot him

Offline Sliverslinger

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2022, 08:43:03 PM »
In super thick brush I called a giant bull in and my buddy next to me arrowed it at 5 steps. It bolted right past us. Pretty gnarly. Probably the most intense was another time I call a bull in in super thick reprod. He bugled in my face 2ce from directly on the other side of a jackfir. Maybe 3 yards. I didn’t have a shot on him and he winded me or maybe heard my knees knocking, but it tied the closest I’ve ever been to a bull and made my ears ring for days.
SliverSlinger

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2022, 09:03:33 PM »
Forgot about a whitetail buck i shot at with my bow at less than 10'. Bedded in tall canary grass all I could see was his ears and antlers. Was nervous about a head shot so shot where I thought his vitals were. Obviously a terrible decision. Luckily he was facing the wrong way and I missed cleanly.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Okanagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2022, 09:10:42 PM »
4 inches on a spike bull elk in the Blues, when I was 15.  He ran over me in a thicket.  I could hear him coming but could not see him till he was so close I jumped backward and to one side and twisted my upper body away from him to keep his shoulder from hitting the muzzle of my 30-30 carbine.  Powder burn on his shoulder, in the 2 to 6 inch range as judged by what the muzzle flash looked like on that rifle. 

« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 11:08:16 AM by Okanagan »

Online Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2022, 11:48:17 PM »
63 yards spot and stock Archery Antelope in Montana 2017. Buck made Pope and Young book.

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2022, 06:55:08 AM »
My first deer was a spike blacktail hanging out with what I'm assuming was his twin brother. I shot mine and the other hung around. I really wanted my dad to shoot it but he wouldn't, eventually that other buck went the same way as mine. As we were walking up to my buck the other one just refused to leave. We were coming at the deer from slightly different angles and my dad had the surviving brother in between him and my deer. I kept telling him to shoot it and he kept saying he didn't want to process two deer that day. The buck refused to move and all of a sudden my dad was very uncomfortable with how close they were and raised his rifle. He couldn't see anything through the scope and had to ask me to confirm if he had the barrel in the right spot. I let him know he did and he fired. Powder burns all over the front of the deer, less than a foot away from the muzzle. To this day he still claims it was self defense and now I know why he didn't want to process two deer in a day.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2022, 08:07:20 AM »
I shot a blacktail buck at about 10 feet with buck shot.  I was standing next to a tree and it walked right past me before I fired.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2022, 08:56:27 AM »
Maybe 8 yards? Muzzleloader whitetail back in 16'. Should be in that deer thread. It was awfully close as I recall. Buck had me pinned in a blind had to lean down and shoot out the crack in the door.

Offline Igottanewknee

• Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2022, 09:12:32 AM »
We were making a drive while bow hunting back in Wisconsin. Shot a spike at about 18” from the tip of my arrow as he was running by me. Wish I would have been in that position the day before when my cousin missed a huge 12 point (6 by 6). Cousin panicked and shot an arrow into the dirt about 3 feet away from him.

Offline blindluck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2022, 07:07:28 AM »
Opening day Archery 7am,  Cow and calf running right at me then Veered off to my left and I shot without even really aiming they were so close. I walked 3 big steps to where they ran by. Arrow blew through her and stuck in a log

Offline CamoDup

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • Aint here for a long time. Here for a good time
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2022, 08:21:17 AM »
Shot cow elk with my bow at about 9 feet. At first light I gave a cow call and it responded right up the hill from me about 40 yards away. Walked right down to me and shot her broad side. My arrow flew through her and I never did find it.

Also, shot a 3 point buck at about 20 yards with a rifle. He must had been running from another hunter because he was coming straight at me. He went into a little draw and I popped over the edge and he was standing there broadside looking around. I stood up quick to get above the brush and I shot off hand. He took off running like he wasn't touched. I seriously thought I just missed. When I got to where he was standing I saw the blood and lungs splattered on the trees. He went about 50 yards and piled up. He was a dead man running. I still can't believe he ran that far. Shot him with a .300 Weatherby Mag at 20 yards. 

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2022, 11:11:54 AM »
I remember quail hunting with my Dad and Uncle, quail were flushing everywhere and I locked onto one flying toward me, he wasnt far off the tip of my barrel when the shot broke, mostly some feathers and feet is all we got of that one
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline KDfishbiologist

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
  • Fish Biologist
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2022, 11:40:56 AM »
Whitetail at 12 yards. My stepdad shot a doe down a steep hill. I walked down to her while he got the four wheeler. Little spike walked out of the trees and right up to me. Almost felt a little bad, but I mounted his little spikes.
>)))*>    >)))*>    >)))*>    >)))*>    >)))*>    >)))*>

"Not all girls are made of sugar and spice and everything nice. Some girls are made of adventure, fine beer, brains, and no fear."

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2022, 11:45:29 AM »
Shot cow elk with my bow at about 9 feet. At first light I gave a cow call and it responded right up the hill from me about 40 yards away. Walked right down to me and shot her broad side. My arrow flew through her and I never did find it.

Also, shot a 3 point buck at about 20 yards with a rifle. He must had been running from another hunter because he was coming straight at me. He went into a little draw and I popped over the edge and he was standing there broadside looking around. I stood up quick to get above the brush and I shot off hand. He took off running like he wasn't touched. I seriously thought I just missed. When I got to where he was standing I saw the blood and lungs splattered on the trees. He went about 50 yards and piled up. He was a dead man running. I still can't believe he ran that far. Shot him with a .300 Weatherby Mag at 20 yards.

I shot a WT doe at about 15 yards last year, detonated her heart.  She ran a good 40 yards.  The nice part was I barely got my hands dirty when I gutted her.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter