collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tripods  (Read 6321 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Tripods
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2022, 10:10:29 AM »
I went with this tripod because it's tall enough for me to stand up and glass, but I can totally sit without any issues. The only reason I didn't get the Slik 634 is because of the max working height. I'm too tall for the Slik to stand behind.
I called Cameraland NY and talked to Joel. Told him what I wanted and went with what he recommended.

https://www.xc-m.promaster.com/3482

I'll add that I removed the included ball head and put this pan head onto it.

https://promaster.com/Product/2435

Seems like all the bino adapters I've seen will all attach to one of the quick detach feet you can get for tripod heads. I don't have experience with a ton of them though.
:dunno:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2022, 10:42:09 AM »
I'm on the shorter side, a little under 5'9" so the 634 would work just fine for me. The added height of the post bino adapters helps some too.

I definitely do not have the coin to drop on an Outdoorsmans setup. I'm sure it's nice but holy smokes. I think I'm fairly settled on the Slic 634 combo they are promoting on their site, but may upgrade to the VA5 head at some point.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Online Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2022, 10:45:42 AM »
I'm on the shorter side, a little under 5'9" so the 634 would work just fine for me. The added height of the post bino adapters helps some too.

I definitely do not have the coin to drop on an Outdoorsmans setup. I'm sure it's nice but holy smokes. I think I'm fairly settled on the Slic 634 combo they are promoting on their site, but may upgrade to the VA5 head at some point.

To clarify I was only recommending the bino adapter setup, not the tripod or head. I can't afford those either  :chuckle:

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2022, 12:32:17 PM »

To clarify I was only recommending the bino adapter setup, not the tripod or head. I can't afford those either  :chuckle:

Got it. I ponied up and got the Outdoorsman adapter. The blaze orange sold me. Got the Slic 634 with the combo ball head and a couple extra quick release plates on the way as well. Early birthday present  :chuckle:

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2022, 12:39:00 PM »

Got it. I ponied up and got the Outdoorsman adapter. The blaze orange sold me. Got the Slic 634 with the combo ball head and a couple extra quick release plates on the way as well. Early birthday present  :chuckle:

If either of you two come over scouting this summer for your hunt, I'd be more than welcome to loan you any of the outdoorsmans heads or the VA-5 head through the end of your hunt and most likely sell you any or all of them at that point.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2022, 01:06:56 PM »

If either of you two come over scouting this summer for your hunt, I'd be more than welcome to loan you any of the outdoorsmans heads or the VA-5 head through the end of your hunt and most likely sell you any or all of them at that point.

That's a great offer. I won't be scouting over there this year, my hunt was last year. Got me all excited that maybe I'd missed something and got that tag again!

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2022, 03:17:05 PM »
I'm an idiot :DOH:

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2022, 07:14:27 AM »
Well it all arrived. I spent a while playing with everything last night and familiarizing myself with how it all functions. I was a little nervous the Outsoorsman adapter was going to be too wide, since apparently my eyes appear to be narrow. But with the binos all the way in on the adapter it's just right. The tripod is light and sturdy,  definitely an upgrade from the Amazon basics POS I was using before. I feel ok now having my 4 year-old glass with them attached to something that I can control. All he wants to do now is go shoot a bear!

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2022, 08:36:05 AM »
I run a ball head on all my stuff.
Looks like a good rig you will really enjoy!!

Offline haftard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2022, 12:03:00 PM »
I bought the vortex ridge view carbon. The tripod is great for what it is. However I would not buy another one and the head that comes with the tripod sucks. I upgraded to the wiser precision tripod head and it's great. Wiser precision also offers a contraption that uses a 3rd trecking poll to make a tripod. This would be a great ultra light option

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2022, 12:30:25 PM »
I run a ball head on all my stuff.
Looks like a good rig you will really enjoy!!

Once I got the tension just so I was able to move it freely and still have it stay put when I took my hands off. Seems to be a great setup so far.

Online Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2022, 01:32:21 PM »
I bought the vortex ridge view carbon. The tripod is great for what it is. However I would not buy another one and the head that comes with the tripod sucks. I upgraded to the wiser precision tripod head and it's great. Wiser precision also offers a contraption that uses a 3rd trecking poll to make a tripod. This would be a great ultra light option

I just got a WP panhead in the mail yesterday. The jury is still out for me, it seems to be a well built little head and it's definitely a weight saver but there are a couple things I don't like about it

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2022, 01:49:40 PM »

I just got a WP panhead in the mail yesterday. The jury is still out for me, it seems to be a well built little head and it's definitely a weight saver but there are a couple things I don't like about it

I will say, the ball head is heavy. Dang near as much as the tripod. But it feels solid and sturdy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]