collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Meat quality of high country deer  (Read 7030 times)

Offline WildcatRanger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF
Meat quality of high country deer
« on: June 22, 2022, 01:59:02 PM »
Looking for opinions about overall meat quality and taste of high country deer, assuming proper field care is followed. I have heard people say that deer from the alpine- high country areas have superior taste compared with deer from lower elevations due to the types of high quality forage available. Thanks for any input!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
Re: Meat quality of high country deer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 02:07:08 PM »
Amazing and very fat. They are usually in great shape up high
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 02:11:05 PM »
In my limited experience it's all a matter of personal preference. The high country animals I've eaten have been more flavorful than the milder farmland animals. I like that better, my dad likes farmland better.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 02:24:42 PM »
I've eaten mule deer from every possible habitat you could think of to the tune of probably 100 different animals and my conclusion that the myth of "gamey" venison is 100% poor meat care/preparation. There is no argument I'll accept to the contrary. If your venison is gamey, you didn't handle or cook it properly. Simple as that.

Example I've used before is a hunt from 2018. I shot a high country mule deer in ID living the life on lush mountain forage.  With that tag filled I beat feet for a NV muzzy tag.  Killed a buck there that was living off sage and mahogany.  When I got home I cut the exact steak from each animal. I cooked them medium rare with simple salt, pepper, garlic powder. Nobody in my house (including me) could tell the difference.

Get the skin off the meat and the heat out as soon as possible, keep it clean, and don't over cook and they are all fantastic. I may give the nod to high country deer simple due to how hard you have to work for them  :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 02:31:43 PM »
I have been able to tell the difference between ag deer and high deer that never see crops.  Same with antelope but all elk seem to taste the same to me.  I would say different but neither better nor worse.  If you want something that has less flavor, ag animals are the way to go.  I actually like more flavor, but wouldn't hesitate on either.

I've only had one animal I thought had some really strong flavor, an old boy antelope from WY that wasn't near crops.  That was an acquired taste and different than the other two I shot in the same area the same day and all processed together.

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 02:33:52 PM »
I've eaten mule deer from every possible habitat you could think of to the tune of probably 100 different animals and my conclusion that the myth of "gamey" venison is 100% poor meat care/preparation. There is no argument I'll accept to the contrary. If your venison is gamey, you didn't handle or cook it properly. Simple as that.

Example I've used before is a hunt from 2018. I shot a high country mule deer in ID living the life on lush mountain forage.  With that tag filled I beat feet for a NV muzzy tag.  Killed a buck there that was living off sage and mahogany.  When I got home I cut the exact steak from each animal. I cooked them medium rare with simple salt, pepper, garlic powder. Nobody in my house (including me) could tell the difference.

Get the skin off the meat and the heat out as soon as possible, keep it clean, and don't over cook and they are all fantastic. I may give the nod to high country deer simple due to how hard you have to work for them  :chuckle:

That's interesting that the taste was the same. I completely agree on "gamey" taste being in poor meat care but I feel like I've definitely had deer that tastes different from other deer. I'm open to it being me being not so much or a distinguished food critic.

Or maybe I've just only ever had one or two in the freezer at a time and always from the same general area so I tell myself "this one came from alfalfa it's milder, this years was up in the mountains it's got more flavor"

I really like hearing people's experience with this, it's super interesting and thera alot I don't know.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 02:49:50 PM »
Its absolutely possible my palate is unrefined  :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 02:54:56 PM »
My dad is a deer meat connoisseur. He prefers whitetail above all else ( I agree).
2 seasons ago I shot a rutted up eastern montana scab land mulie that has probably never seen an ag field. My dad said it was the best tasting deer he's ever eaten.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Chesterdog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Eagle Scout
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 03:01:21 PM »
I agree with JPmiller this is a really interesting topic.

Besides obvious size differences, can anyone comment on a distinguishable taste between blacktail, whitetail, and mule deer bucks?  Is the preferred order: whitetail, mule deer, blacktail for most people?

I've only ever eaten mule deer and have always been able to gut and skin quickly and avoid the tarsal gland which I believe is a main culprit of gaminess.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 03:08:38 PM »
I have property in Missouri that is in ag land, corn, soy beans and milo.  Those are the best tasting deer I have ever eaten.  Of course, some of the muleys we get in E. MT are tasty too.  I've never killed a black tail but have eaten it and it was pretty good too.  I too firmly believe it has everything to do with the care of the meat after the critter dies.  I am also not an aging fan.  Hide off, debone, vacuum seal, in the freezer.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 03:09:39 PM »
I agree with JPmiller this is a really interesting topic.

Besides obvious size differences, can anyone comment on a distinguishable taste between blacktail, whitetail, and mule deer bucks?  Is the preferred order: whitetail, mule deer, blacktail for most people?

I've only ever eaten mule deer and have always been able to gut and skin quickly and avoid the tarsal gland which I believe is a main culprit of gaminess.
My order would be whitetail, blacktail, mulie generally. But the best deer I ever had was a mulie and the worst was a whitetail. Go figure.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Sakko300wsm

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2022, 03:19:28 PM »
I totally agree on “gamey” being from not properly taken care of game - being cleaned, cooled down, bounced around in a truck for a day driving around showing buddies ect.
But I will say - a few yrs ago we got two 3x4 mule bucks in the same drainage , 2 days apart and handled identically ( I am very picky about taking care of my animals and always butcher my own) and one of them just plain stunk - tasted fine , but that damn thing made the whole freezer smell- it was a weird thing
VELOCITY MARINE- ALUMINUM BOATS
I hunt fur and fins!!
23' X 9' custom jet in the works
Haxby 550hp 496"
Hammi 241
Stick steer

Offline Fletch

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2022, 05:00:26 PM »
Its absolutely possible my palate is unrefined  :chuckle:
Same for me...

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2022, 05:08:02 PM »
Since it's a high country question...yes the meat of high country deer (assuming it's alpine high country) is very good.

Obviously high country varies by y state. But in Washington...deer from above 4-5k are excellent tabel fare.

Offline WildcatRanger

• Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2022, 09:38:04 PM »
Thanks all! Gaging if the reward is worth the effort for high buck. Sounds like it clearly is. Now, how do I work this around my early elk hunt...? ;)
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]