collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Alaska Bucket List Hunt #3  (Read 6203 times)

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Is there anything better than hunting?
Alaska Bucket List Hunt #3
« on: June 28, 2022, 07:22:50 PM »
As many know, I have done write ups for hunt #1 (2018 Mountain Goat) and hunt #2 (2021 Spring Brown Bear).  As mentioned previously, this year will be hunt #3 Alaska Yukon Moose (and hopefully another Brown Bear), and next year will be #4 and my ultimate a Dall Sheep.

At any rate, I fly out in 65 days and am starting to get really excited for the trip.  Plan is to fly to anchorage on 9/1, fly into the bush on 9/2 and start hunting 9/3.  Moose season begins on 9/5 and I plan to hunt through the end of the season 9/15.  May do a little fishing too.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Alaska Bucket List Hunt #3
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 07:25:40 PM »
Hell yeah!!!!! Good luck man! Excited to see what you turn up.  45 days and counting till I fly out for sheep 😬
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 07:29:44 PM »
Hell yeah!!!!! Good luck man! Excited to see what you turn up.  45 days and counting till I fly out for sheep 😬

Awesome, where are you going?  I fly out for Sheep August 7th, but not until 2023.  Assume this is with your brother like the Kodiak Goat?  You draw any other good tags this year?

Offline wheels1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 07:30:21 PM »
Awesome 

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 07:32:46 PM »

Awesome, where are you going?  I fly out for Sheep August 7th, but not until 2023.  Assume this is with your brother like the Kodiak Goat?  You draw any other good tags this year?
yes sir! Brooks range via Bettles. Nothing else exciting. MT, ID, etc. The standards  :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 07:36:19 PM »

yes sir! Brooks range via Bettles. Nothing else exciting. MT, ID, etc. The standards  :chuckle:

Very good, I can’t wait to hear about it, I want to get to the Brooks range one day myself.  You going to have a Caribou tag in your pocket as well?  Assume Grizzly isn’t open at that point in the year?

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 08:37:16 PM »
Can’t wait for the write up  :tup:

Keep an eye on flights, lots of ruined trips lately. Maybe hit anchorage a day or two early to not miss bush flight.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 08:47:38 PM »

Very good, I can’t wait to hear about it, I want to get to the Brooks range one day myself.  You going to have a Caribou tag in your pocket as well?  Assume Grizzly isn’t open at that point in the year?
caribou and griz are both in play but unless we have sheep tags filled we are laying off the other stuff. I can go shoot a caribou any year but this will likely be my one and only crack at a sheep.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 09:30:11 PM »
Thats great man! Can't wait to see the stories and pictures. Travel safe and knock a couple big critters down :IBCOOL:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 10:09:09 PM »
Thats great man! Can't wait to see the stories and pictures. Travel safe and knock a couple big critters down :IBCOOL:
Thanks Matt, will do!

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2022, 06:46:09 AM »
Good luck! Looking forward to hearing about it. I don't know how you guys can function with the anticipation of these big cool hunts. I am having a hard time with Washington bear season opening in a month.

Offline Falcon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2022, 03:13:32 PM »
Shane,

The moose hunts sounds awesome.   I have a small bull moose 10 years on a 10 day float hunt in the Brooks Range.  The wildest excursion I ever had.   Did the sheep hunt in 07 in the Alaska Range bringing home a beautiful ram.    Your sheep hunt will be a world class experience.

Me and 5 guys are doing a boat based hunt for Sitka deer on The south South end of Kodiak this year.
Dates are the first week of Nov, so hopefully the rut will be in action.

Looking forward to your moose hunt story.   

Bryan
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
Re: Alaska Bucket List Hunt #3 (updated with story and pics)
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2022, 12:25:54 PM »
So each night from the tent, I blogged on my Ipad while things were fresh and and figured this would be a cool way to share the story.

I will start with the first day, September 1 (hope you enjoy) and September 2nd since they were less eventful.

Flew into Dillingham on September 1 stayed at Beaver Creek Lodge Bed and Breakfast.  Took guides Aaron, Cory and Larry to dinner at Bailey’ s Restaurant.

September 2nd hung out at Beaver Creek as the float plane was delayed due to weather but eventually able to fly to Beverly Lake and have dinner with outfitter, guides and a couple of the other hunters. I took some video on my camcorder and just enjoyed the beauty of this place.  Alaska is a harsh place, by the time I leave I know I will be ready, I always am, but within days I look forward to being reunited on my next trip.

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2022, 12:28:21 PM »
September 3rd took a 1:15 boat ride to spike camp; set up camp, relaxed a bit and prepared for the evening hunt.  The boat ride was spectacular, sockeye stacked up waiting to spawn, Arctic Char waiting to feast on their eggs and the clarity of the water is just exceptional.  We set up our spotting scopes on the beach in front of camp that night to do a bit of scouting.  We didn’t see any bears but it was super hot and sunny.  We were able to glass up some Caribou across the lake on a distant hillside.  Our outfitter also flew out a cooler of food we had forgot at base camp.

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2022, 12:30:50 PM »
September 4th, we slept in had some cereal and coffee and glassed up a sow with two cubs and a smaller boar from camp.  Decided to go explore in the boat, saw 2 other sow and cubs while fishing.  We caught 4 pike one of which we kept and made for lunch.  We also hiked in the mouth of the Grant river and tried scouting for bears for the evening hunt and fished some more.  We were unable to catch any of the Arctic char we were fishing for but my guide Aaron landed and awesome 4-5 pound rainbow.  The evening hunt only yielded some more sightings of sows and cubs but we hunted until dark and then made the boat ride back. As we ate mountain house that night we noticed it getting colder and couldn’t help but wonder if the brisk night could help the moose season starting the next morning

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
Re: Alaska Bucket List Hunt #3 (Updated with story and pics)
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2022, 12:33:15 PM »
September 5th we woke to a cold crisp morning with fog covering the lake.  We ate breakfast and threw on some extra layers, it was going to be a cold first few hours and my waders had sprung a leak the day prior so I added an extra layer of socks to help mop up any remaining water and hoped we wouldn’t have to cross any more knee deep water.  As we made our way to a meadow near camp the enthusiasm was high and within minutes of reaching it we saw a cow.  My guide quickly hit a couple calls and raked the tree, before just standing to listen.  Within about 5 minutes we thought we heard a bull raking a tree so we raked some more and then listened. Again we heard some more raking and moved in that direction.  We raked again and heard an immediate response, the bull was coming closer.  We were pretty sure he was going to walk right out into the meadow from our right.  Within a couple minutes we heard him make a couple calls to confirm he had left the cover and was headed through the meadow.  He appeared and looked massive to my untrained eye, I saw many long and heavy brow tines, Aaron said he was legal and looked pretty good but wanted him to stop to verify.  He hit the call and the bull stopped, I had just chambered a round and as Aaron was describing the bull I had heard enough, BOOM!  From just 110 yards the .300 PRC found its mark just behind the shoulder.  He just absorbed it, shot 2 was a double lung and with the cold morning we saw the air blow out both sides, again the big bull took and moved a few more steps, a 3rd shot brought him down and the bull was mine.  After some fist bumps and a hug, we watched to make sure he wasn’t moving, gathered our stuff and headed over to get our hands on him.  Luckily there was no ground shrinkage and the bull just kept growing as we walked up on him.  My dream of harvesting a giant Alaskan bull was over just 40 minutes into opening morning.  Even with the short trek back to camp it took us 9 hours to get the bull butchered, caped and back to camp.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 02:01:54 PM by ShaneTyTrey »

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2022, 12:34:23 PM »
Holy smokes.....that's a beautiful bull.  Congrats. 

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2022, 12:35:43 PM »
September 6th, now that we are only bear hunting we will keep later hours and sleep in and just focus on hunting the evenings.  Today we were hit with some rain and significant wind and we’re stuck in the tents the bulk of the day.  We were hopeful it would subside for a few hours this evening as the wind was very favorable for hunting the Moose carcass this evening.  As we we were walking out to check the Moose carcass we saw a bear approaching and stopped to watch unfortunately within seconds we also saw a loan cub.  We posted up about 450 yards from the carcass with a favorable wind and sat there for the next 3 hours until dark hoping a larger bear may run them off but it didn’t happen.  We walked back to camp in the dark and made a delicious spaghetti and meatballs dinner and chatted about the first few days and game plan for the next few before turning in just before midnight.

September 7th was a sleep in day for me, after waking at 8:30 to piss for the second time; I fell back to sleep and didn’t wake until 11:00.  Once up I ate a breakfast burrito and drank some hot chocolate before heading out in the driving rain to check the carcass.  We sat and watched from our exposed viewpoint for about 30 minutes before deciding to head back to camp and hoping the rain would subside.  We sat out in the cold miserable rain for 3 more hours that evening but nothing other than that same sow and cub showed up to visit.  We had Moose tenderloin again for dinner with some mashed potatoes and were in bed just after 11:00 with a game plan to try some new areas for bear in the morning.

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2022, 12:38:04 PM »
September 8th brought the worst weather we had seen.  The huge rain drops and rain blasted our tent all night.  At about 10:30 am it stopped and the sun came out, we quickly got out the goal zero and recharged devices while we could.  The sun was short lived and only stayed for about 90 minutes.  After that we had sustained 40+ mph winds that kept us locked down in the tent.  We hoped it would let up if even for a bit that night so we could get out and hunt.  We were able to get out about 7:30 and immediately saw two different bears on the carcass.  The bigger bear pushed the subordinate bear out of the area, I confirmed this was a bear I would be happy to harvest (7 1/2 - 8 foot square) he was blond with silver tips and although smaller beautiful and vastly different than the other brown bear I harvested the year before.  We were 450 yards away and thought we could upwind and about 200 yards away.  As we got to the spot we couldn’t find the bear, I was bummed the wind was perfect and he seemed happy to be dining on the carcass.  We watched for about 30 minutes and decided to back out to our original glassing spot.  As soon as we arrived we saw the bear was on the carcass so we made a quick plan to try a different path that would be a bit longer and more risky but would put us in the same location I had harvested the moose from, we had to act quick as it was just after 9:00 and light was fading quickly.  We were able to get to the location as the bear was walking away, the vegetation around us was tall and the only tree that gave me a small window to shoot while stabilizing the rifle was the same tree I had shot the moose from.  As I chambered a bullet the bear heard the noise and started taking a few steps toward us to investigate and then started moving left to try and get our wind, it was now or never and the bear was about 150 yards away, I settled in and squeezed the trigger.  Wap, the sound was massive and the bear started growling, pawing and biting and the wound.  I quickly cycled the action for a follow up shot and my scope was covered in fog, I couldn’t see the bear.  Within a second he was slowly running away and out of the window for any rest to shoot, off-hand at 170-310 yards at a running bear is no east task, as the guide fired 3 times and me 2 more into the now near dark, we didn’t believe any of the shots found their mark.  We quickly crossed the creek and went into the meadow with our headlamps on hoping to find the blood trail and follow it.  We found blood, and other stuff on the trail, including what appeared to be organ tissue; as we followed the trail to the thick Alders waiting for us, we could hear the bear gnashing his teeth daring us to enter as a bear who has been mortally wounded often does.  After a quick discussion of our options we decided it best to back out and come back in the morning as no bear was worth risking the lives of Aaron or myself.  Walking back to camp we discussed and replayed the events, the shot and what we could have done differently.  In the end we thought the only other option would have been not shooting and hoping to relocate the bear later in the hunt.  I wasn’t hungry for dinner that night and sleep was hard to come by.  I knew my hunt was over, the only question was would I be doing the unthinkable and harvesting a trophy bull moose and nice brown bear from the same location, after the bear had feasted on the carcass of the Moose as I had dreamed before the hunt started or would I be leaving Alaska with just the memories and no new field photos with the bear and I.  I had the odds of recovery at maybe 25% and Aaron with much more experience thought we were probably at 50%.

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2022, 12:40:25 PM »
September 9th, we woke to a very light rain (thankfully) ate something really quickly and headed off to try and find the bear.  As we passed the Moose carcass that had been completely covered in dirt as we retreated the night before, we noticed it had been hit again between then and now.  We cautiously approached as we didn’t want to surprise any bear that may be in the area.  As we finally reached the edge of the Alders we had stopped shy of the night before, we instantly found more and better sign.  About 30 yards in we found the area the bear had dug in and was ready to fight the previous night, there was blood, chunks of fat and organ tissue everywhere.  We were suddenly optimistic feeling that at any moment we were going to see or trip over the dead bruin.  Our search continued deeper into the thickness of the brush, and sign continued to pile up, we joked saying we could easily fill a quart sandwich bag with the piles of innards the bear had left on the ground, but we couldn’t locate the bear.  At one point the sign just sort of stopped, we ran grids all through every trail and spent the day picking the place apart.  We even decided to spend the last hours that evening sitting and watching the carcass again in case some how this bear was the one that returned to eat on it ( although we knew it was 1/1,000,000.   Nothing showed but a gorgeous full moon in the darkness.  It was a send off to an epic week with the highest of highs and the lowest of lows.  With big weather coming we called for an extraction back to the lodge that next day

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2022, 12:41:13 PM »
September 10th, although we knew it was like finding a needle in a haystack, we woke that next morning and spent a couple more hours looking for new sign, the sound of circling ravens or anything that would help give us one last recovery push but it just didn’t happen, it wasn’t meant to be, not for me, not on this hunt.  Our boat showed up and took us out of that little slice of heaven we were fortunate enough to call home for the last 7 days.  I left with memories that will last a lifetime a new friend in Aaron and mixed feelings about the future.  I don’t know if I will ever return to this portion of Alaska, I don’t know if I will ever chase the mighty brown bear again, I don’t know if I will ever see any of the new faces I met again the lodge.  I do know I will go home and start training for my Dall Sheep hunt next August, I do know I was blessed to take the bull of a lifetime and I do know I will continue taking my iPad on my adventures so I can write about them daily with raw thoughts and emotions in my head.  For those of you who haven’t been to Alaska but have that itch, I encourage you to do whatever it takes to scratch it!

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2022, 02:28:10 PM »
Holy smokes.....that's a beautiful bull.  Congrats.

Thank you!

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2022, 02:56:08 PM »
Congratulations! That bull is a pig!

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2022, 03:23:32 PM »
Congratulations. Awesome bull. And an awesome write up. My brother and I are trying to get the ball rolling to do this in the next 2 to 3 years. Can’t wait

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2022, 03:52:47 PM »
Nice Bull!
IAFF #3728

Online ganghis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2022, 04:25:02 PM »
Beautiful bull, and thanks for taking us along!  I've lost some animals the way you did with the griz, and it's not a fun feeling but part of hunting.  Congrats!

Online pashok23

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2022, 09:31:37 AM »
Very nice bull, congrats

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2022, 08:12:35 PM »
Thank you all!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2022, 09:21:07 AM »
DUUUUUDE!!!!! Killer bull congrats!!!! Man this has got me chomping at the but to go moose hunting! Thanks for sharing your hunt!

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2022, 11:12:57 AM »
Thanks Karl, I guarantee it wasn't half as cool as your hunt.  Definitely worth experiencing once for sure.  If you start planning, let me know, I can help with some ideas, I would also like some workout pointers for the Dall hunt, take care!

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2022, 12:16:41 PM »
What an epic bucket list hunt. Someday I will go to Canada or Alaska for a moose and this thread really stokes my imagination of the adventure. Thanks for sharing that giant with us!

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2022, 08:33:33 PM »
Thanks, reach out if you have any questions during the planning process.

Online Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2022, 09:15:08 PM »
Great bull :tup:

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2022, 05:21:57 AM »
Awesome, thank you for taking us along! What a bull!! I’ve been to Alaska but only to fish, those hunts seem very tough with the weather and big bears abound!! Congrats!!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2022, 01:23:45 PM »
Outstanding!
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2022, 03:27:28 PM »
Great hunt and a great write up  :tup:
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2022, 06:33:13 PM »
Thank you, awesome experience for sure.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal