collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Alaska Bucket List Hunt #3  (Read 6202 times)

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Is there anything better than hunting?
Alaska Bucket List Hunt #3
« on: June 28, 2022, 07:22:50 PM »
As many know, I have done write ups for hunt #1 (2018 Mountain Goat) and hunt #2 (2021 Spring Brown Bear).  As mentioned previously, this year will be hunt #3 Alaska Yukon Moose (and hopefully another Brown Bear), and next year will be #4 and my ultimate a Dall Sheep.

At any rate, I fly out in 65 days and am starting to get really excited for the trip.  Plan is to fly to anchorage on 9/1, fly into the bush on 9/2 and start hunting 9/3.  Moose season begins on 9/5 and I plan to hunt through the end of the season 9/15.  May do a little fishing too.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Alaska Bucket List Hunt #3
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 07:25:40 PM »
Hell yeah!!!!! Good luck man! Excited to see what you turn up.  45 days and counting till I fly out for sheep 😬
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 07:29:44 PM »
Hell yeah!!!!! Good luck man! Excited to see what you turn up.  45 days and counting till I fly out for sheep 😬

Awesome, where are you going?  I fly out for Sheep August 7th, but not until 2023.  Assume this is with your brother like the Kodiak Goat?  You draw any other good tags this year?

Offline wheels1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 07:30:21 PM »
Awesome 

Online Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 07:32:46 PM »

Awesome, where are you going?  I fly out for Sheep August 7th, but not until 2023.  Assume this is with your brother like the Kodiak Goat?  You draw any other good tags this year?
yes sir! Brooks range via Bettles. Nothing else exciting. MT, ID, etc. The standards  :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 07:36:19 PM »

yes sir! Brooks range via Bettles. Nothing else exciting. MT, ID, etc. The standards  :chuckle:

Very good, I can’t wait to hear about it, I want to get to the Brooks range one day myself.  You going to have a Caribou tag in your pocket as well?  Assume Grizzly isn’t open at that point in the year?

Offline Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 08:37:16 PM »
Can’t wait for the write up  :tup:

Keep an eye on flights, lots of ruined trips lately. Maybe hit anchorage a day or two early to not miss bush flight.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 08:47:38 PM »

Very good, I can’t wait to hear about it, I want to get to the Brooks range one day myself.  You going to have a Caribou tag in your pocket as well?  Assume Grizzly isn’t open at that point in the year?
caribou and griz are both in play but unless we have sheep tags filled we are laying off the other stuff. I can go shoot a caribou any year but this will likely be my one and only crack at a sheep.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 09:30:11 PM »
Thats great man! Can't wait to see the stories and pictures. Travel safe and knock a couple big critters down :IBCOOL:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 10:09:09 PM »
Thats great man! Can't wait to see the stories and pictures. Travel safe and knock a couple big critters down :IBCOOL:
Thanks Matt, will do!

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2022, 06:46:09 AM »
Good luck! Looking forward to hearing about it. I don't know how you guys can function with the anticipation of these big cool hunts. I am having a hard time with Washington bear season opening in a month.

Offline Falcon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2022, 03:13:32 PM »
Shane,

The moose hunts sounds awesome.   I have a small bull moose 10 years on a 10 day float hunt in the Brooks Range.  The wildest excursion I ever had.   Did the sheep hunt in 07 in the Alaska Range bringing home a beautiful ram.    Your sheep hunt will be a world class experience.

Me and 5 guys are doing a boat based hunt for Sitka deer on The south South end of Kodiak this year.
Dates are the first week of Nov, so hopefully the rut will be in action.

Looking forward to your moose hunt story.   

Bryan
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
Re: Alaska Bucket List Hunt #3 (updated with story and pics)
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2022, 12:25:54 PM »
So each night from the tent, I blogged on my Ipad while things were fresh and and figured this would be a cool way to share the story.

I will start with the first day, September 1 (hope you enjoy) and September 2nd since they were less eventful.

Flew into Dillingham on September 1 stayed at Beaver Creek Lodge Bed and Breakfast.  Took guides Aaron, Cory and Larry to dinner at Bailey’ s Restaurant.

September 2nd hung out at Beaver Creek as the float plane was delayed due to weather but eventually able to fly to Beverly Lake and have dinner with outfitter, guides and a couple of the other hunters. I took some video on my camcorder and just enjoyed the beauty of this place.  Alaska is a harsh place, by the time I leave I know I will be ready, I always am, but within days I look forward to being reunited on my next trip.

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2022, 12:28:21 PM »
September 3rd took a 1:15 boat ride to spike camp; set up camp, relaxed a bit and prepared for the evening hunt.  The boat ride was spectacular, sockeye stacked up waiting to spawn, Arctic Char waiting to feast on their eggs and the clarity of the water is just exceptional.  We set up our spotting scopes on the beach in front of camp that night to do a bit of scouting.  We didn’t see any bears but it was super hot and sunny.  We were able to glass up some Caribou across the lake on a distant hillside.  Our outfitter also flew out a cooler of food we had forgot at base camp.

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2022, 12:30:50 PM »
September 4th, we slept in had some cereal and coffee and glassed up a sow with two cubs and a smaller boar from camp.  Decided to go explore in the boat, saw 2 other sow and cubs while fishing.  We caught 4 pike one of which we kept and made for lunch.  We also hiked in the mouth of the Grant river and tried scouting for bears for the evening hunt and fished some more.  We were unable to catch any of the Arctic char we were fishing for but my guide Aaron landed and awesome 4-5 pound rainbow.  The evening hunt only yielded some more sightings of sows and cubs but we hunted until dark and then made the boat ride back. As we ate mountain house that night we noticed it getting colder and couldn’t help but wonder if the brisk night could help the moose season starting the next morning

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal